Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Azaleas – 2 month Boom Group Thread >

Azaleas – 2 month Boom Group Thread

Azaleas – 2 month Boom Group Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by GramE View Post
I have one more done, totally hand sewn, (my preferred way). It’s a Cleopatra’s Fan. I don’t know if we have any new boomers
. I’m a new boomer, any tips? GramE, do you like traditional blocks? There are some very cool vintage patterns in the Kansas City Star block book that reminds me of your Cleopatras block. I pulled it out for inspiration.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rebaquilts View Post
. I’m a new boomer, any tips? GramE, do you like traditional blocks? There are some very cool vintage patterns in the Kansas City Star block book that reminds me of your Cleopatras block. I pulled it out for inspiration.

Winding up with a 12 1/2” block is probably the most important thing to remember. But looking through the boom gallery is a good place to get ideas. The link is on Janice’s posts in her signature.

Another site for ideas https://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rebaquilts View Post
Reba - you have done the row and round robin. Look at the fabric and read the note if any, Reread the note again. If in doubt PM the individual. Touch the fabric and see what you have in your stash that will play nice (and match any requests). You have any idea and aren't sure - ask.
I will acccept any 12.5" block. I may not make modern style (on purpose) but that doesn't mean it won't play with all the others.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:05 PM

Good advice, TG.

It’s a good idea at this time to remind everyone that color requests are just that, requests. The vast majority of swappers will do as you request (at least their interpretation of your request) but occasionally someone goes their own way. No way around that. The major rule everyone must follow is to make a 12 1/2 inch square block, or as reasonably close as you can get to that goal. And makers determine the block they want to make. If anyone has questions about an f8, reach out to the owner or to me. Chances are you won’t be the only one who has the question. There are no such things as silly questions on the boom threads. Anyone not wishing to go directly to the other swappers in a pm can email me and I’ll get the answer for you.

The hard part is done, all the prep and mailing procedures. Now you just have to get your F8s and see what block they tell you to make. Funny how fabrics can speak to you! And most of all, have fun playing!
Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
Reba - you have done the row and round robin. Look at the fabric and read the note if any, Reread the note again. If in doubt PM the individual. Touch the fabric and see what you have in your stash that will play nice (and match any requests). You have any idea and aren't sure - ask.
I will acccept any 12.5" block. I may not make modern style (on purpose) but that doesn't mean it won't play with all the others.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:28 PM

Here’s my next project, a scrappy Carolina Chain. It’s a free pattern from Bonnie Hunter. (I’m addicted to her quilts!). I’ve got a long way to go on this one and I haven’t worked on it since I moved to NC. Time to get moving. Sorry the pic is poor. Took it at night and the colors are way off.
Attached Thumbnails 2cc4252f-a3a2-4e0c-955a-b6e032092c13.jpeg  
Old 01-30-2022, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

That's looking like a great scrappy, Janice!
Old 01-30-2022, 07:01 PM

I thought about trying to set up a swap with these blocks like your 9P swap. Unfortunately the move interfered and now I’m back in the Booms. They’re very simple and easy to get the right size.
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
That's looking like a great scrappy, Janice!
Old 01-30-2022, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
I thought about trying to set up a swap with these blocks like your 9P swap. Unfortunately the move interfered and now I’m back in the Booms. They’re very simple and easy to get the right size.
Yeah, they aren't too far from a 9 patch, are they? Are the little squares 2.5"?
Old 01-30-2022, 07:11 PM

The pattern is here: https://www.ctpub.com/blog/make-bonn...a-chain-quilt/

The squares are 2 inches unfinished.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Yeah, they aren't too far from a 9 patch, are they? Are the little squares 2.5"?
Old 01-31-2022, 03:41 AM

TG I have bed risers I use at home for layering the quilts together. New house down here has a large peninsula in the kitchen that will work out great if I don’t find a cutting table right away

GramE your Cleopatra block is beautiful and stitched but hand. That is amazing.

Janice another wonderful scap buster quilt. Looks awesome already