Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 14 - March, 2 month group >

Boom 14 - March, 2 month group

Boom 14 - March, 2 month group

Old 01-06-2015, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
Terry, how old is she? My 10 year old is dying to sew and it scares me too...shes not real safe with siccors much less a rotary cutter.... PLEASE don't think Im nuts but when someone says WOW fabric what exactly does this mean? I always thought it meant white on white but now maybe it means more to some people???
I'm waiting for the answer to this question too. WOW has always meant white-on-white to me. I'm not going to do anything else until we get a definitive answer on this one. I sure don't want to do something wrong.
Fearless Leader, what say you??
Old 01-06-2015, 04:41 PM

Geez, guys, you probably know better than me! WOW: white on white. Tonals: varying shades of a color in a single fabric. (Some of us in the Florabunda swap used lots of tonal yellows, basically YOY.) Blenders are, to me, almost the same as tonals but maybe less variation than a tonal. They blend into whatever you use them with.

Please anyone jump in here...
Old 01-06-2015, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
Geez, guys, you probably know better than me! WOW: white on white. Tonals: varying shades of a color in a single fabric. (Some of us in the Florabunda swap used lots of tonal yellows, basically YOY.) Blenders are, to me, almost the same as tonals but maybe less variation than a tonal. They blend into whatever you use them with.

Please anyone jump in here...
This is exactly my definition too
Old 01-06-2015, 05:14 PM

I always thought WOW was white on white;
"The term tone on tone refers to a printed fabric that is made by combining different shades and tones of the same color. Tone on tone fabrics often appear to be solid when viewed from a distance, but their printed motifs become recognizable on closer inspection."
I don't know what the difference is between blenders, marbled and tonals - they all seem very similiar
Old 01-06-2015, 06:08 PM

A suggestion: let's not stress about the tonal/blender thing. If we overthink this, we will take all the fun out of it. Got this terrific advice (more or less) from another recent swap. If you feel your fabric works within the guidelines/requests, go with it.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:17 PM

I sure am glad I wasn't crazy by thinking WOW mean white on white!! And I really appreciate all the remarks about tonal and tone on tone....its what I thought but I wanted to make sure you all thought like me!! THANKS!!!
Old 01-06-2015, 08:01 PM

Abby is 11 and will probably stick with scissors and not rotary cutter. Her brother is 7 and I will be teaching him once my back gets better. Abby doesn't have good small motor controls, her brother is the exact opposite, I think he will be easier to teach. Let me tell you it took a lot of time and patience, good luck. Joanlizbay
Old 01-06-2015, 08:25 PM

Oh my temp is going to be minus 14 in the morning they are saying with the wind the windchill is going to be minus 30 to 40 and it's the one day I have to go out Brrrrrr. Terriamn
Old 01-06-2015, 09:28 PM

They say we are going to be in the single digets, that is why I've been on a sewing spree, to cold and wet to do anything outside.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:21 AM

Makes our 19 degrees Thursday morning sound downright tropical! Brrrrr!!
Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
Oh my temp is going to be minus 14 in the morning they are saying with the wind the windchill is going to be minus 30 to 40 and it's the one day I have to go out Brrrrrr. Terriamn