Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 15 "Rosebud" 3 month group >

Boom 15 "Rosebud" 3 month group

Boom 15 "Rosebud" 3 month group

Old 06-09-2015, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
I

Az are you going to change your name to Wisconsin Kat?
Terri, I might change the name . . . if I ever get to Wisconsin.

I've been stalking realtor.com for a year now. They also post auction properties . . . and the real estate company that posts it gets a portion of the proceeds. My problem is that the properties are going faster than I can move. I should have all my funds available this Friday. Logically I understand that the house is out there. I'm just getting impatient.

Bee, had the same experience from work as you. I wasn't home 2 hours after retirement before the kid that took over my job was calling me with questions. That's all ok as long as I don't have to drive in anymore.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Hi kids just wanted to share my progress on my boom 14 quilt. This is the first 4 of 7 rows. I've been staring at it for awhile now my original plan it was going to be sashed with chocolate brown, it just didn't work. Actually it was....... well it was kind of sad and ugly haha. . So I rethought it and decided on this cream and white dandelion fabric and I think it's much happier and no longer sad and ugly. I'm still debating on borders. I have plenty of the print but I kind of want to do more than just a regular border. I just don't know what. .

Any good Idea?

My goal is to have the flimsy finished before all the new f8s arrive. .
I see mine. I think I would play w/ a pieced border, maybe in hst since nearly every block has them in it.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:34 AM

Sorry Billi no ideas, I just have to play around with mine till I gigure out what I like
Old 06-09-2015, 10:36 AM

Oh by the way gigure means figure and guess to make something, I also heard that another name for quilters is. fabric Engineers
Old 06-10-2015, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the idea Kass I think I will gigure with that some....haha love the word Terri
Old 06-10-2015, 03:30 PM

Billi love your quilt so far! Just need a fun border & it will totally pop!
Old 06-10-2015, 04:51 PM

Billi...I am sure that quilt is really a knock-out to see it in real time! My first thought would be to go with a wide-border (6-8 inches) maybe go with a background fabric of either the teal, burgundy or the gold (I am a teal person )- that has a small pattern like swirls or field flowers to in the sashing color. Like a simple border print. I love that quilt! I enjoyed making the block and liked the way it turned out Love seeing it in the quilt.<3

F8s going in the mail tomorrow morning!
Old 06-10-2015, 05:48 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]522020[/ATTACH]

Bonsoir Madames and Mademoiselles,

I will just "pop in" here as you say in America...oui? - in Paris I will say "passer la tête par la porte".....when translated into English means "pass my head around the door"! So....I am passing my head around the door to leave you a little story which will finish our reporting on the French Baguette! A little night time reading with pyjamas...but no eating baguettes in the couchere......oui!

In preparation to continue "rouling". we will next talk a little about French cafe'......it is quite an inspiration! So nite..nite....madams! "une bonne nuit de sommei"

Francois

"The great French baguette – a symbol of France, has gone through many steps to become the long stick of bread we love and know today says baguette fan Katie Saint…"

History of the baguette

Bread has something of a special status in France. Few quotes are as well-known as Marie Antoinette’s “let them eat cake” when told that the peasants had no bread (actually she probably didn’t say it but as none of us were there we can’t say for sure). Victor Hugo in Les Misérables gives bread an important moral status when Jean Valjean is arrested and thrown in jail for stealing a loaf of bread. For many people in France the baguette is something of a staple food, and it is a veritable symbol of France.

For most people, a trip to France is not complete without tucking into a warm crusty baguette or a buttery croissant, and bakeries are as common in France as a corner shop in England. There are various local types of bread specific to different parts of France, and no two bakers are the same. The French bread you are used to, however, has not been eaten in France since time immemorial as you might think.

Up until about 1800 French peasants ate bread made from wheat, rye or buckwheat. Bakers often added all sorts of materials as fillers to make the flour go further: sawdust, hay, dirt and even dung were all used. The vast majority of a peasant’s diet came from bread, and an adult male could eat as much as two or three pounds of it a day.
Grain and bread riots were extremely common up until the French revolution, and sometimes spilled out across entire regions. In fact, the riots that resulted in the fall of the Bastille on 14[SUP]th[/SUP] July 1789 and helped start the French Revolution began as a search for arms and grains. Parisian peasants – rightly – suspected that there had been grain hoarding in anticipation of higher prices, and took to the streets in protest.

In the early stages of the Revolution rising bread prices were a major concern, with the new government quick to respond to complaints about prices or accusations of hoarding. They were right to be worried about what the people might do if they could not get access to bread. These bread riots helped to make the revolution increasingly radical.
Long wide loaves have been around since the time of Louis XIV, and long thin ones since the mid-18[SUP]th[/SUP]century. Some of them were much longer than we see today: “…loaves of bread six feet long that look like crowbars!” (1862). It was the increasing availability and cheapness of wheat from the 19[SUP]th[/SUP]century that meant white bread was no longer the exclusive preserve of the rich.

The development of steam ovens around the same time made it possible to bake loaves with a crisp crust and a white, airy centre, like today’s baguettes. In 1920 a law was passed preventing workers from starting work before 4am, which made it impossible to get the bread cooked in time for breakfast – this was solved by making the bread into long, thin baguettes that cooked faster!

Although there had been long, thin breads in France for around a century before this, they had not been referred to as baguettes until 1920. The word baguette comes from the Latin baculum which became baccheto (Italian) meaning staff or stick.

More than four hundred years of practice, a revolution and much more have gone into making the baguette the bread we all know and love today!
Attached Thumbnails boomerang-15-french-guide.jpg  
Old 06-10-2015, 06:09 PM

My fabric was sent today
Old 06-11-2015, 05:12 AM

Bee fascinating, never knew that was how a baguette came to be.

have never been to Paris but have been fortunate too have the experience of Sitting in tiny sidewalk cafes in Portugal drinking espresso and eating their wonderful pastries. In Switzerland it was their scrumptious pretzel bun which we are just starting to be able to buy here. Your post brings back wonderful memories of faded adventures