BOOM 17 Sign-ups OPEN!

Old 07-28-2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post

Even if that doesn't happen I suppose we can each make a few blocks for our quilts with our own fabric....

If I am uncertain about a block for someone else I'll often try it out first on my fabric if it works awesome I have a another block for my quilt. If it doesn't work awesome I didn't ruin your fabric and I have an ugly I can add to the back of the quilt. if it really really really didn't work than I learned something new. and I may or may not try it again.......depends on my level of frustration at the time.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:51 PM

Sorry, I meant post not email.

I will not be opting to double up since I have several other commitments during these two months.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
If I am uncertain about a block for someone else I'll often try it out first on my fabric if it works awesome I have a another block for my quilt. If it doesn't work awesome I didn't ruin your fabric and I have an ugly I can add to the back of the quilt. if it really really really didn't work than I learned something new. and I may or may not try it again.......depends on my level of frustration at the time.
This is what I do a lot of the time also. It gives me more blocks and then I know if I can get it out of the allotted fabric without any problems.

Glad y'all are liking how the zebra is coming together. I'm working on the center more tonight and then back to putting the rows together.

Later taters! Peace & Love
Old 07-28-2016, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

I won't be doubling up either. I've come to my senses. The thought of making two for everyone is too big a bite for me to take on my first try at Booming. I don't mind making some of my own (seems like a lot less hassle than side swaps) and Billi's idea about making tester blocks with your own fabric first is awesome. I am shooting for about 20 blocks so I don't really mind coming up with the remaining 5 myself.

Thanks for the explanation Janice.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:45 PM

Fabric is laundered, cut and pressed. This time I pressed w/ sizing. I cut the Lowes paint chips into strips and am including one in each baggie for a color reference. I am wanting teal (more blue then green), white, wow, or red, I would prefer the red if used is similar in tone (orange red instead of blue red, it will make sense when you see the fabric). Any combo of those colors is fine, prints are fine as long as they only have those colors. I will include this in each baggie.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Fabric is laundered, cut and pressed. This time I pressed w/ sizing. I cut the Lowes paint chips into strips and am including one in each baggie for a color reference. I am wanting teal (more blue then green), white, wow, or red, I would prefer the red if used is similar in tone (orange red instead of blue red, it will make sense when you see the fabric). Any combo of those colors is fine, prints are fine as long as they only have those colors. I will include this in each baggie.
Love the paint chip idea!!! I think it will really help me see your vision and help me choose fabrics that work best for your quilt.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:40 AM

Good night nurse! This is sounding complicated! I fear I won't live up to the standard...guess I'll see my blocks on the backs of all the quilts..
Old 07-29-2016, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
Good night nurse! This is sounding complicated! I fear I won't live up to the standard...guess I'll see my blocks on the backs of all the quilts..

Don't panic, Francie. You'll do just fine. It's not complicated at all. You choose the block you feel comfortable making with well constructed seams (1/4") and the correct size block (12 1/2" unfinished). Just try your best to use colors requested by the fabric owner. It can be as simple or as complicated a pattern as you're comfortable making, your choice totally. Don't stress, just relax and have fun with it. For me, getting a 12 1/2" block size is the most important aspect of the whole process. Any pattern that I choose, I always make a block for myself first to be sure it comes out right.
You've just got "first time" jitters. That'll pass quickly when you have the F8s in hand and begin. Don't forget pictures. We LOVE them! If you run into a snag or have a question, just ask, someone on here will always get back to you pretty fast.
We all had our first Boom so we all understand. Smile!
Old 07-29-2016, 09:56 AM

I will not be doubling up either on the two month group. I need to just make a couple more blocks or pick 30 for the front and the rest for the back. There will be plenty beautiful blocks to choose from.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
Oh no not complicated at all, every fabric will have general guidelines for color / fabric included w/ the fabric, so you can refer back to it easily w/o having to "memorize" it all. Most all color requests will have an "easy" option, like for mine not everyone has teal blue in their stash, so there is the option of wow fabric.

I generally start w/ the "no brainers" the ones who want wow or black, unless inspired by a specific idea.

I LOVE the design aspect so usually do many different blocks, but making the same block or two is perfectly lovely and fine, they end up looking different w/ everyone's fabric and colors, besides they are all going to different homes so they are getting a unique block.