Boom 19 - Autumn

Old 11-05-2017, 09:43 AM

I finally got a chance to look at all by blocks, the splash of color us so much more vibration in person. Thank you everyone for the awesome blocks. Not sure when I will get to putting a top together as I gave several quilts that need to get done before Christmas.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

I noticed from the blocks I got back that we have a few swappers in the ‘press seams open’ camp. Don’t remember who because wherever possible I repressed them all to the side! That’s just how I roll. I’d suggest you try making two of the same block... one with seams open and the other with seams to the side... and see which you prefer. I like my seams to “nest”. It helps me get more accurate intersections. You can’t do that with seams pressed open. To reduce bulk in a busy intersection, I spin the seams. This is what works for me.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:44 PM

@ sewbizgirl - How do you "spin" the seams? I recently have been practicing with a hunter star block (half square triangles) and boy the seams sure are tough to get through and seem bulky. On another pin wheel block, I opened the seams. Seem to help keep it flatter. Thanks
Old 11-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

Pictures being worth a thousand words, here are two little videos explaining the process. These are shown on a simple 4-patch, but it is the same principle in any block that has intersections with lots of seams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfy7ow4ID1E

This is pretty much the same, but the demonstrator calls it "fanning" the seams, rather than "spinning".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw-yt1YrfZ0

You don't actually need to clip any stitches with scissors, as shown. Once you start to push that 4th seam opposite the 3rd seam, the little stitch or two near the edge of the pieces will just pop open. It's pretty cool. If that stitch gets stuck, I get out my seam ripper and 'help' it open.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:50 PM

Thank you! I'll take a look.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:52 AM

Some of us like to press open and some of us like to press to the side. Some do both depending upon the situation. It's personal preference and block maker's choice. No one way is better than another. Whatever floats your boat. . Everyone is always free to adjust blocks once they get them home if something doesn't work for you.
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I noticed from the blocks I got back that we have a few swappers in the ‘press seams open’ camp. Don’t remember who because wherever possible I repressed them all to the side! That’s just how I roll. I’d suggest you try making two of the same block... one with seams open and the other with seams to the side... and see which you prefer. I like my seams to “nest”. It helps me get more accurate intersections. You can’t do that with seams pressed open. To reduce bulk in a busy intersection, I spin the seams. This is what works for me.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Here's another Boom-type quilt, made for Christmas donation. I think I showed some of these blocks earlier, now here they are in a quilt... I asked the ladies in my group to make some blocks for me to put in these quilts. Most of the ones in this quilt were not made by me. I just love how this one turned out!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583471[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583472[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc03774-small-.jpg   dsc03775-small-.jpg  
Old 11-06-2017, 06:42 AM

I was working on two different quilts yesterday. On one seams went to one side and on the other I pressed them open. Like Kass suggested, I looked at the situation and chose the best method. I'm not sure if making one block and trying both ways would work for me. Blocks seem to call for one way or the other.

In the craftsy perfect piecing class the instructor talks a lot about pressing patterns and also uses the fan approach. If I don't forget, I'll press yours to the side sewbiz. It may give me the opportunity to try the fan method.

The craftsy class also also really emphasizes having a 1/4 " seam. I learned a lot from the class and will try to make some of the class squares in the next boom. I always practice them first. I make black and white day of the dead squares to practice on.

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 11-06-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas
If I don't forget I'll press yours to the side sewbiz.
Noooooo... please don't change your method for me! As long as I get a 12.5" block with at least scant 1/4" seams and 10-12 stitch length, I'M HAPPY!
Old 11-06-2017, 06:47 AM

Beautiful Christmas quilts Sewbizgirl. It's amazing how you can turn out so many quality quilts so fast.