Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 86 1 2 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Boom 19 - Autumn

Boom 19 - Autumn

Important dates for “AUTUMN”, 3 month Boomerang Swap:

F8s due to me Tuesday, July 18, 2017
    I ship to you Thursday, July 20, 2017

Autumn's blocks due to me Friday, October 20, 2017
    I mail Autumn's blocks Wednesday, October 25, 2017

AUTUMN, Three month group:

Annt59
    Bibliostone
    Cheesehead
    Hav4Boys
    Jaba
    JayneW
    Joanelizbay
    Kassaundra
    Klaws
    Libster
    LJDugas
    Marcialee
    Marija
    Marleneab
    MJPEncinitas
    Mollymunchkin
    MonaG
    NanaKathy55
    Sewbizgirl
    Terriamn

Gallery:
    Boomerangswaps.weebly.com

Everyone in Autumn, 2 month group, should send me 19 F8s. Please wash, press, remove selvages, cut into F8s, bag, label with your name and any requests and then put them into a large ziplock-type envelope inside your mailing envelope with your name and address on it. Remember, you will be shipping with tracking. All fabrics must be in my hands on or before Tuesday, July 18, 2017 and I will turn around and send them out on Thursday, July 20, 2017. If all fabrics are in sooner, I'll mail sooner.

Shipping: When you mail to me, please do so in whatever manner you wish as long as you do so with tracking. Please review shipping rules below and be sure to send me the tracking number as soon as you get it. Be sure to include $7.20 for return shipping. If the money/prepaid labels are missing, I will hold your package until I receive it. No checks or Paypal please.

Please have fun! It’s time to play with fabric you might not normally use, show your skills, make some new friends, say hello to old ones, and generally enjoy the experience. Let’s go!

Rules/Guidelines:

Please make sure to also refer to the basic policies that apply to all swaps through the board: RULES FOR SWAPS AND SIMILAR ACTIVITIES -Updated 8 December 2010.

Fabric, Completed Block and Package Preparation:
    1) Use only 100 percent quilting cotton. Please pre-wash and press your fabric. REMOVE SELVAGES before cutting into Fat Eighths, generally about 18” x 11”. Please keep off-sized pieces for your own use.
    2) When mailing your F8s to me, please make sure they are individually sealed in a small Ziploc-type bag, no hard zippers please. Label each F8 with your board name easily visible to me along with any instructions or color requests for your fabric. (DO NOT SPECIFY A RECIPIENT unless a fabric is being directed to a particular person.) Labels are useful to help the recipient prevent fabric mix-ups, something that’s easy to do. Please then take all the individually wrapped F8s and put them in a Ziplock-type bag large enough to accommodate them all onto which you have written your name and address. When you send your completed blocks back to me, please seal and label your completed blocks with the owner’s name AND your name easily visible to me in a similar manner as you did the F8s.
    3) Please mail your F8s to arrive by Tuesday, July 18, 2017. The sooner everyone gets them to me, the sooner they go out! Be sure to send me the tracking number as soon as you ship.
    4) Carefully handle all fabric received and completed blocks, placing them somewhere safe until mailing time comes.
    5) To help keep track of the fabrics and blocks made, I will establish an online Fabric Gallery.
    6) You are REQUIRED to keep in touch with your group by posting to the dedicated Boom 19 thread at least every 2 weeks. This is a requirement. If you don’t wish to keep in touch, this is not the swap for you.
    7) All blocks must be completed within the time frame for the group and mailed to me with a tracking number.
    8) All blocks MUST be 12 1/2” unfinished. Blocks may be regularly pieced, paper-pieced, appliquéd, whatever the block maker decides to do. It is up to each individual. Please do not request specific blocks as the idea is to let everyone, of every skill level, join in and show their talents.
    9) Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

IMPORTANT SHIPPING DETAILS
    You must supply me with tracking numbers on all parcels sent to me and I will do likewise when I mail to you. All shipping costs are your responsibility. You may ship to me in whatever tracked package you like however I will ONLY ship to you in USPS Padded Priority Envelopes (unless other arrangements have been made) at the rate in force at the time of shipping. Today that cost is $7.20. Please send a pre-paid envelope or label or you may send me $7.20 in well-concealed cash and I will supply the envelope. Envelopes stamped with “regular” postage stamps will no longer be picked up by my carrier but must be taken in person to the post office. This will delay shipping until I can get to the post office so please no “regular” stamps. I do not accept PayPal or checks.

Keep in mind the following:
    You MUST be in good standing with previous swaps. Anyone with a poor track record of fulfilling swap commitments will not be permitted to join. If you sign-up and do not fulfill your commitment, negative feedback will be given.

All skill levels are welcome but you MUST be able to sew a 12 ½ inch, basic, well-constructed block. The block doesn’t have to be detailed but it must not be falling apart. All seams should be ¼ inch with at least 12 stitches per inch. Blocks should not leave your hands until you know you have made every effort to get them as close to the 12 ½ inch size as you can reasonably get. We all respect new quilter’s need to learn and that will be taken into account. If you cannot consistently construct a 12 ½ inch block, this is not the swap for you. Also, this is important: Please allow yourself enough time to complete your full set of blocks. In other words, don’t leave them to the last week! The results can be hit-or-miss. And please be sure to clean up the blocks by trimming your threads and cutting dog ears.

PLEASE pre-wash your 100 percent cotton quilting fabrics without any fragrance residue. Please note that that some swappers may be smokers or have pets. If pets or smoke is a problem for you, this isn’t the swap for you.

NO public complaints or criticisms for any reason are permitted. ALL complaints must be addressed by Private Message (PM) or email to me at [email protected]. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Hello Autumn Boomers! We're up and running. Please post here. I've picked up all F8 pix from the sign-up thread so no need to repeat adding them here unless you'd like to. They're in the Gallery already. Also, emails have been sent. Please read and hit "reply" so I know we're all on the same page. Thanks!

Ready to go???
    Last edited by Janice McC; 07-01-2017 at 10:05 AM.

Blog Entries
    This is my

Found you! Welcome Autumners!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm ready to go! I plan to give my machine a very thorough cleaning Monday when I get back from the post office.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

Blog Entries
    Ready to mail..both groups will be in same envelope.
    People may not remember what you looked like or what you said but they will always remember how you made them feel!

This is the link to my albums for all Boom swaps.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...99-albums.html

I grew up in Iowa, I now live in Wisconsin
    Can't wait!!!

I'll be mailing mine on the 5th. I also have a table runner to mail. I can't wait to get started!
    Karen

I am not a fabricaholic. I am the curator of an extensive private textile collection.

Ready to go!

Blog Entries
    Mine will go into mail tomorrow if I can find where to mail them too. I know I must have overlooked the address. Help. I am sorry about not posting my fabric but I am not savvy enough with this iPad and my phot kept going invalid
    Marcialee

Blog Entries
    Found address ��
    Marcialee

Everyone should have received an email from me. Please hit reply so I know you have it and presumably have read it. Btw, if you are in both groups, you only need to reply once. Thank you!

Yup! already to go. sending out my fabric on Monday!!

Good morning Boomers! How about everyone introduce themselves and tell us what's been happening with you so far this summer. Do you have any special projects in the works? Any vacation plans? Whatever. Any naked chicken pix would be welcome. (It won't feel like a Boom without some of the latter and that's part of the educational aspect of the Boom.)

I grew up in Iowa, I now live in Wisconsin
    Good morning. This will be my 4th boom, but the first one doing both groups as I hope to make two quilts.
    I'm finishing up a queen size quilt for my niece's wedding on the 14th of July. I will be starting 2 baby quilts for another niece that is having twins in Oct, a boy and a girl!!!
    Don't have any summer vacations planned thus year but we are headed to Oregon in Sept.
    Looking forward to swapping with all of you, I'm heading off to work a couple of hours this morning, mail my fabric, go for a convertible ride thus afternoon and a baseball game this evening.

Hi everyone! I have been doing this swap since it started,i missed one due to hand surgery. You do one and you are hooked. My summer has been filled with doctor and pt visits for my husband. He was hurt on the job.A beam fell on him. It has been 2 months now and he has had a hernia surgery now going to have shoulder surgery in aug. Hand surgery after that. So while I am taking care of him I will be sewing!!! Keeps me going. Newbies you will enjoy this swap it is the best and you will be hooked!!!!!!!!!! Be aware that when you get your blocks you will be amazed at such talent. Enjoy the ride best ever!!!!!!!

Hi everyone! This is my first Boom and I'm super excited about it. Just bought myself a long arm machine a few weeks ago. I have wanted one for probably close to 25 years. So....as you can imagine....I've been practicing my free motion quilting skills daily. I have about 12 quilt tops I have made over the past 20+ years that I never took to get quilted. Looks like I now get the quilt them myself! Then my Mom calls me last week and asks me to quilt a christmas quilt for her. It was started by my sister's mother-in-law. Her mother-in-law passed away several years ago leaving the quilt top unfinished. My Mom decided to finish the quilt top for my sister. Now I get the privilege of quilting it. I'm excited....but nervous.
    This weekend was tied up with our family 4th celebration. Had my kids and grandkids over for pool party and BBQ. It was awesome! But now that it's done I can focus on getting my fabric ready for all you wonderful boomers. It's washed and ready to be pressed and cut. Should be able to mail within the next couple days. Can't wait to get started making everyone's blocks.

I have been participating for quite awhile and totally hooked. Love each and every block I receive and totally enjoy how creative some of the ladies are. So many think out of the box.

Hubby is here with me at the lake this week for his vacation. The end of September we are flying to Vegas and staying in an AirB&B. A little Casita about 30 minutes from my son's house. No gambling or shows planned, just enjoying family and sun.

When not at the lake I'm busy using my sweet 16 to quilt charity quilts for quilts with out Borders and wrap a smile. Just returned from a retreat in Omaha where we sewed together 180 plus tops. 15 of them are in my sewing room waiting to be quilted.

Blog Entries
    Ive been doing the booms since 4 or 5..my son asked why I do them and I said "for the friendship and conversations more than anything" . Ive laughed, cried, prayed oooohhhed, ahhhhed on here and consider the swappers my friends! I still work, have 4 grandkids here to take care of when needed, lots of baseball, football, basketball to take them too. I have to send my quilts to the quilters and the hard part is waiting for them to get back! Some of the ladies in this swap are fantastic block makers!! I cant pp...just cant get it but I LOVE to see the blocks that others make using pp and embroidery or applique...but most of all the friendships are amazing even though Ive never met any of the ladies! Have fun!! that's the most important thing!
    People may not remember what you looked like or what you said but they will always remember how you made them feel!

This is the link to my albums for all Boom swaps.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...99-albums.html

Good morning boomers!

Here is my fabric for the swap! I'm excited to make my first Christmas quilt! I'm not entirely sure what "requests" I'm going to make... probably just to use shades of green and red from the fabric. What I'm not sure is if I should also include white? Thoughts?

Name:  boom 19 fabric.JPG
Views: 2081
Size:  197.4 KB

I do not have an email.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
    Everyone should have received an email from me. Please hit reply so I know you have it and presumably have read it. Btw, if you are in both groups, you only need to reply once. Thank you!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. ― Albert Einstein

I am new to the Boom. This is my first and I am dong both Autumn and Summer.

This summer... I will be leaving July 17-27 for a cruise to Alaska for my birthday. We are leaving from San Francisco. I have never been on a cruise and a bit worried about sea sickness.

I am currently making bandanna bibs for my new and only grandchild. Steven "Hyde" was born on Feb. 4. I love being a grammy. I am working a purple quilt with the Summer sew-a-long (under challenges) and a red, white, and blue quilt witht he Rest and refreshing group (under challenges), the BOM quilt, and a red. black , and music note fabric quilt for my BF's daughter. All will be done by Christmas. Everyone is getting a quilt from me for Christmas.

I am the mom to 4 grown sons. My eldest is married and they have my grandson.

That is about it.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. ― Albert Einstein

Welcome to all our new Boomers. I've been doing the Booms since Boom 10. LOVE every single one of them! I've been a little slow this spring, getting over some surgery. I have decided that I WILL feel better and get on with life.
    I head up a charity program with our church making pillowcase dresses for our mission trips to South America. My dear friend heads up the pattern-made dresses. This is our third year doing this and we love participating in it.
    I have 4 great-grandchildren and 6 grandchildren, along with 2 daughters and 1 son. They are my everything. I make my quilts for them. I'm about to gain a granddaughter-in-law, so one of these quilts will be for her.
    My advice to the new Boomers- Just relax, ask any question at all and have fun. Oh, and we love chatting and pictures of what you're making !
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

Quote Originally Posted by JayneW View Post
    Good morning boomers!

Here is my fabric for the swap! I'm excited to make my first Christmas quilt! I'm not entirely sure what "requests" I'm going to make... probably just to use shades of green and red from the fabric. What I'm not sure is if I should also include white? Thoughts?

Name:  boom 19 fabric.JPG
Views: 2081
Size:  197.4 KB
    My thoughts are that you have enough dark green in your background, and for contrast you need the lighter green, red, and yes, white. You also have pink and gold in that print, which may look good too. It's just up to you and what you want your finished quilt to look like. What colors do you want to see?

Another thing to consider is if you will use sashing to connect the blocks. If so, you may want to tell people not to use your sashing color. For instance, if you chose gold for sashings, you might tell us not to use gold, or it may blend into the sashing. Just a little bit to think about, some pre-planning, and you'll be good to go!

Love your Christmas fabric, BTW!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    I was trying to post my fabric and my computer kept rejecting it. That is why my message isn't complete. I did try to delete it! Welcome new Boomers! This is my second boom.
    Learned a lot in the first one. My fabric is all ready to mail. I'm also going to make a couple of quilts in my bucket list!
    Also trying to finish some UFO'S.

Page 1 of 86 1 2 11 51 ... LastLast