Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group >

Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

Old 03-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
Do any of you have a 90 degree triangle ruler with the other two angles the same (45). An isosceles triangle ruler for those who are math inclined. This is the triangle usually always used in quilting.

do you use this much?

i bought 3 1/2, 6 1/2 inch squares. I have 12 1/2 and 4 1/2. Just wondering if a triangle ruler is worthwhile.
Heck yes it is! In fact, essential. I have the Easy Angle and Companion Angle too... I use Easy angle to cut all my HSTs from strips. Cutting squares in halves or quarters to get triangles can be so innacurate, but the Easy Angle gets it right every time. Those are both "right" triangles, but the companion has the lines running parallel to the long edge. It's great to for figuring out setting triangles, or cutting the center piece of a flying geese unit. Couldn't quilt without these!

I also have a 60 degree ruler but I only use it when I'm cutting stack n whack hexagons (6 pieces). Not that often, but when you need it, it's great to have.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

(This is duplicate post from Hummingbird):

Well... I have news! The last two lap quilts from my Boom 19 blocks are done! That makes 5 that have or will be donated, to make someone feel comforted and remembered. I hope you all enjoy seeing your beautiful work in it's final product.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]590335[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]590336[/ATTACH]

close up of the one above:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]590337[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3388.jpg   img_3390.jpg   img_3391.jpg  
Old 03-06-2018, 03:19 PM

NanaK and QA, great blocks I especially love mine a cool pattern and such a fun fabric, thanks.

QA, sorry about your results, sounds like it is going to be treatable though that is good, always good to hear the word contained or "stage 0" when you hear the C word.

MJP great haul, hummm wonder which might be in my block????? Your farm quilt sounds like a "hoot" lol lol lol
Old 03-06-2018, 03:31 PM

QM, and Sewbiz nice quilts, QM that is one bright happy quilt.

MJP, that triangle is just half of a square, when I need that angle I just use a square. I use the angle lines on the square rulers for the 60, 30, 45 angles most of the time, and for other angles I usually use freezer paper and a compass.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:18 PM

Sewbiz great quilts, you are going to make some unexpecting people very happy

MJP I have quite a few speciality rulers but no triangles ones. Never even used one. My favorite are the loc block rulers. Those and my Omnigrid squares are what I use most of the times.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:22 PM

All this talk of geometry and math and girls is just music to my ears! I'm not sure if I've shared this or not, but I'm a high school math teacher! Sometimes I intentionally print just pictures of blocks to see if I can figure out the angles, measures etc... nerdy, I know! That being said, I tend to use my basic square and rectangle rulers for everything, but have actually being eyeing a couple different specialty rulers not because I can't figure it out otherwise, but it seems like it make help a bit in precision. True?
Old 03-06-2018, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by JayneW View Post
All this talk of geometry and math and girls is just music to my ears! I'm not sure if I've shared this or not, but I'm a high school math teacher! Sometimes I intentionally print just pictures of blocks to see if I can figure out the angles, measures etc... nerdy, I know! That being said, I tend to use my basic square and rectangle rulers for everything, but have actually being eyeing a couple different specialty rulers not because I can't figure it out otherwise, but it seems like it make help a bit in precision. True?
Yes, it's true for me. Sometimes keeping an eye on everything is a little tricky!

Not nerdy, creative amusement! I used to avoid the boredom of waiting in line by racing the grocery cashier to figure the total bill. Now I use a calculator for everything!
Old 03-06-2018, 07:48 PM

Ok I’ll take a look at the easy angle or companion angle because more accuracy is just what I need.

i think a lot of quilters are math people. Unfortunately my math skills are much much better than my piecing skills. I’m a bit of a nerd too Jayne I have several degrees in electrical engineering and worked in that field before I switched to exercise physiology. I got my first degree in Janice’s neck of the woods Georgia Tech. My first EE class had 4 women and 40 men.

My father lamented that I was the most well educated aerobics instructor in the country. He never did understand that this was just a tiny part of what I did with my kinesiology degree.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:21 PM

I can add, subtract, multiply, divide any number you want to give me in any number form, whole numbers, decimals, fractions, positive and negative numbers. However I read letters Exclusively!!!!! English and math were separate subjects for a reason!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-08-2018 at 02:24 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 03-06-2018, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
Ok I’ll take a look at the easy angle or companion angle because more accuracy is just what I need.

i think a lot of quilters are math people. Unfortunately my math skills are much much better than my piecing skills. I’m a bit of a nerd too Jayne I have several degrees in electrical engineering and worked in that field before I switched to exercise physiology. I got my first degree in Janice’s neck of the woods Georgia Tech. My first EE class had 4 women and 40 men.

My father lamented that I was the most well educated aerobics instructor in the country. He never did understand that this was just a tiny part of what I did with my kinesiology degree.
Oh my gosh, my bachelor's degree is in EE also!!!