Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group >

Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

Old 02-06-2018, 04:31 PM

Kassandra, cutting down, that's what I have been doing wrong. Also Janice, I have started to measure each square. Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to using these hints in my next block.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by annt59 View Post
Kassandra, cutting down, that's what I have been doing wrong. Also Janice, I have started to measure each square. Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to using these hints in my next block.

Annt59, when I cut my HSTs down to the right size, I always have to remember to cut some from all 4 edges. If I don't do that, I'll have a good point on one side with the point cut off on the other side. For a 4 1/2" square, I start with a 5 1/4" square, draw my diagonal line on the lighter fabric, and then sew 1/4" on either side of the line. Cut them apart and press to the dark side. You'll have 2 HSTs. Then I use my square ruler to cut them to size. On the right side and the top side of my pressed open HST, I'll cut maybe 1/4" off. Then I turn my HST around and cut on the right side and the top again, this time making the square 4 1/2". This way, both of your points will be where they should be. I find for me, I'd rather lose a little fabric by trimming down than to take a chance on my HSTs not being quite big enough. This works for me. I just thought you might like to try it and see if you're comfortable doing it this way.
I have worked on making my points right because I do love stars! Remember, practice makes perfect (so my Mama always said!).
Old 02-06-2018, 05:46 PM

Also when you trim HST you can trim them while they are still triangle shaped, before you press them open. I was going to try and explain but it wasn't making sense. https://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2014...-cuts-and.html She shows how to do it, this is the way I trim them, only I use a regular ruler, her ruler does look cool though.
Originally Posted by Libster View Post
Annt59, when I cut my HSTs down to the right size, I always have to remember to cut some from all 4 edges. If I don't do that, I'll have a good point on one side with the point cut off on the other side. For a 4 1/2" square, I start with a 5 1/4" square, draw my diagonal line on the lighter fabric, and then sew 1/4" on either side of the line. Cut them apart and press to the dark side. You'll have 2 HSTs. Then I use my square ruler to cut them to size. On the right side and the top side of my pressed open HST, I'll cut maybe 1/4" off. Then I turn my HST around and cut on the right side and the top again, this time making the square 4 1/2". This way, both of your points will be where they should be. I find for me, I'd rather lose a little fabric by trimming down than to take a chance on my HSTs not being quite big enough. This works for me. I just thought you might like to try it and see if you're comfortable doing it this way.
I have worked on making my points right because I do love stars! Remember, practice makes perfect (so my Mama always said!).
Old 02-06-2018, 05:54 PM

I got to thinking about something. I thought I remembered buying some quilting scraps fabric from an older quilter years ago when I first started trying to quilt, and I thought I remembered she had quite a bit of those browned colors and older fashioned patterns. I didn't do much w/ them at the time so I went deeeeeeep stash diving and found some. I had already saved a picture of a block that came up on a civil war block search so now I think I'm golden for the civil war block.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful block for Kass, Annt! Points are more tricky than they look, but I echo what Janice said about making sure you are sewing enough of a seam.. too scant and your points will come out at the edges.

Instead of cutting blocks down, consider altering the seams instead. Take them up a bit if the individual units come out bigger than they are supposed to. Then you won't have to cut off points at the outside edge. I've said it before... I pick out and resew seams very often, if I think I can make it better. I never leave it if I can make it better.

Like anything else, your points will get better with more practice.

Libster, your block for Jaba is cool. I noticed with that fabric, everything looks slightly wonky and out of square, because the lines in the fabric seem to make the pieces curve. Spacey... A whole quilt like that is going to be a fun optical illusion.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:31 PM

I just finished Quiltermom's civil war inspired block. I hope this is what you had in mind color and style wise. The dark color is a dark green it might look black on the screen but I promise it is not.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588558[/ATTACH]

It took every bit of self control I have not to make that orange and green fabric into a fussy cut dressie, but I didn't think that would be to civil war like.
Attached Thumbnails img_0387.jpg  
Old 02-06-2018, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]588558[/ATTACH]

It took every bit of self control I have not to make that orange and green fabric into a fussy cut dressie, but I didn't think that would be to civil war like.

Kass, your block is awesome and your self control is noted! If only I had some right now and could step away from the bowl of M and M's!
Old 02-06-2018, 10:00 PM
Power Poster

Great block, Kass!
Old 02-06-2018, 10:30 PM

Kass, that is a very cool block. I’ll bet that dark green looks great in person.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:26 AM

So perfect! Thank you Sewbiz and Kassaundra. Love them both. Appreciate all the effort you are all putting into my blocks.