Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group >

Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

Old 02-01-2018, 09:22 AM

MJP, I have made at least three of the blocks. I can't attest for more of the blocks than that. So far, they're all coming out the correct size for me. I really am enjoying my copy of this book. I consider it well worth my money.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:39 AM

Thanks Libster. I would expect some mistakes but the table of contents being wrong sent up flags for me, that’s why I asked here. I’m going to consider buying it. Were the directions detailed enough?

TG the cigar block made me smile.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:47 AM

I think the directions were clear enough to me. There are several others here who have this book. I hope they give you a review too. Always better to hear from more than one person.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:57 AM

MJP I have made a few blocks from the book and mine all worked out but I really really recommend you get the book Aound the Block. She has lots of blocks in it with all different size cutting instructions for each block
Old 02-01-2018, 10:17 AM

Terriamn I just ordered the Around the block book. New was $60 but used was $10 including shipping. I'm interested in seeing how to change block sizes. I'm still interested in the 1000 block book too but I may wait a week or two on that one.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:29 AM

New $60.00 wow has that baby gone up. Good deal on the used. I try to buy used when ever I can. Granddaughter asked about some highlighting in a book she receiv d from us. Explained the only reason she was able to get that extra gift was because of the bargain price being used. She said cool I will have to tell my Mom about it.

The 1,000 block book, has a section on paper piecing, another section on appliqué and probably 2/3 of book is on piecing. I bought mine on sale at Connecting Threads
Old 02-01-2018, 10:43 AM

I have the book and have made 20 blocks. I have yet to have an issue with directions or cutting requirements.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I got the Star Wars block as far as I can w/o some input from Molly, so while I wait on that I started the stripe fabric (red/white/blue). I was trying to tell Gary what I had planned for the stripe fabric (he can't see things in his head, sometimes he can't even see them when they are finished!! lol) Anyway after I explained what I had planned he said "well is that going to be special enough, since she sent it especially to you?" Men!!!!! Anyway I am very pleased w/ both blocks so far. Both have the hard parts done maybe I'll get at least one finished tomorrow evening.
~~ This made me smile this morning! Tell Gary that I will be happy and excited to receive any block you make for me. (I’m assumeing this stripe red/white/blue is from me)
Old 02-01-2018, 11:12 AM

Mjp: I haven’t made any blocks yet. There are so many beautiful blocks. I have marked several I want to make. I like that this book has several different types of blocks. I want to make a few applique blocks, however, I have only done pieced blocks so far. The pictures are nice and clear. The pages are thick, so it should hold up to lots of use.

~ I bought mine on sale from Connecting Threads thanks to someone on this QB site for the recommendation.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

Love that cigar block with Ralph's name on it in beer bottles! I'm sure he'll get a kick out of that one.

I second the recommendation for Around the Block, and also Around the Block Again. I think there is a third one called More Around the Block. These are great blocks for our swap because many can be pieced in just two or three fabrics. I have the first 10 100 blocks magazines that were compiled into the 1000 blocks book. I have made a few but don't find those as useful because only about half of them are pieced, and of those, many use just too many different fabrics in them to work for this swap. Still, we can never have enough block books, can we?

I got my two Around the Block books from Amazon, used. They were very cheap and in perfect condition.