Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 21 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Boom 20 Sign-ups Open through 12/31/17*

Boom 20 Sign-ups Open through 12/31/17*

Sign-ups for Boomerang Friendship Swap 20 are open! They will close no later than December 31, 2017. *If sign-ups go quickly, I may close full groups early. If so, I will start a waiting list in the event of a last minute drop. Each group will probably have 14 to 20 swappers. You may choose the 2 or 3 month swap or both. All skill levels are welcome but you must be able to consistently sew a well-constructed 12 ½ inch block. Details follow below but anyone who has participated in a recent Boom knows the basics.

In general, this is how the Boom works: You will receive a list of Board Names of those in your group. You choose your fabric, prepare it and send it to me for distribution to the other members. You need one Fat Eighth (no smaller than 18” x 10”, no selvages) for each member. Send all F8s to me along with any special requests for your fabric. I will distribute them to the other members. You stitch a block for each member using your pre-washed 100 percent cotton quilting fabric out of the F8 you receive. When you have finished all blocks, you ship them to me to sort and return to the owner.

Please note: Board participation is an essential ingredient in making this swap successful. So much information about the swap is found there, much more than I can possibly write in this sign-up post. If you wish to join the swap, please understand it is your responsibility to keep in touch and read the posts frequently.
    Anticipated schedule:

Sign-ups end 11:59 pm EST, Sunday, December 31, 2017
    Groups post probably no later than Wednesday, January 3, 2018

ALL F8s due to me Thursday, January 18, 2018
    I ship to you Monday, January 22, 2018

2 month group’s blocks due to me Thursday, March 22, 2018
    I mail 2 month group’s blocks Thursday, March 29, 2018

3 month group’s blocks due to me Monday, April 23, 2018
    I mail 3 month's blocks Monday, April 30, 2018

Rules/Guidelines:
    Please make sure to also refer to the basic policies that apply to all swaps through the board: Rules for Swaps and Similar Activities -Updated 8 December 2010.

Fabric, Completed Block and Package Preparation:
    1) Use only 100 percent quilting cotton. Please pre-wash and press your fabric. Remove selvages before cutting into Fat Eighths, no smaller than 18” x 10”. No exceptions. (Packages that come to me with smaller pieces will be returned to you unswapped at your expense. Please keep off-sized pieces for your own use.)
    2) When mailing your f8s to me, please make sure they are individually sealed in a small ziploc-type bag, no hard zippers please. Label each F8 with your board name (make it easily visible to me) along with any instructions or color requests for your fabric. This may be a note inside or a label on the outside. (Do not specify a recipient unless a fabric is being directed to a particular person.) Labels are useful to help the recipient prevent fabric mix-ups, something that’s easy to do but do not place the label over the opening as I will be checking fabric sizes. Please then take all the individually wrapped F8s and put them in a large Ziplock-type bag onto which you have written your name and address. This you will then put into your mailing envelope. Later, when you send your completed blocks back to me, please seal and label them with the owner’s name and your name easily visible to me in a similar manner as you did the F8s.
    3) Please mail your F8s to arrive by Thursday, January 18, 2018. The sooner everyone gets them to me, the sooner they go out. Be sure to send me the tracking number as soon as you ship.
    4) Carefully handle all fabric received and completed blocks, placing them somewhere safe until mailing time comes.
    5) To help keep track of the fabrics and blocks made, I may (no guarantees this round) establish an online Fabric Gallery.
    6) You are required to keep in touch with your group by posting your progress to the dedicated Boom 20 thread at least every 2 weeks. This is a requirement. If you don’t wish to keep in touch, this is not the swap for you.
    7) All blocks must be completed within the time frame for the group and mailed to me with a tracking number.
    8) All blocks must be 12 1/2” unfinished. Blocks may be traditionally pieced, paper-pieced, appliquéd, whatever the block maker decides to do. It is up to each individual. Please do not request specific blocks as the idea is to let everyone, of every skill level, join in and show their talents.
    9) Most importantly, Have fun!

Important Shipping Details
    You must supply me with tracking numbers on all parcels sent to me and I will do likewise when mailing to you. All shipping costs are your responsibility. You may ship to me in whatever tracked package you like however I will only ship to you in USPS Padded Priority Envelopes (unless other arrangements have been made) at the rate in force at the time of shipping. Today that cost is $7.20. Please send a pre-paid envelope or label or you may send me $7.20 in well-concealed cash and I will supply the envelope. Envelopes with “regular” postage stamps will no longer be picked up by my carrier but must be taken in person to the post office so please don’t send them. Please note: There is no guarantee all blocks will fit in a single padded envelope if you join multiple groups. I will contact you to discuss options if that happens.

Keep in mind the following:
    You Must be in good standing with previous swaps. Anyone with a poor track record of fulfilling swap commitments will not be permitted to join. If you sign-up and do not fulfill your commitment, negative feedback will be given.

All skill levels are welcome but you must be able to sew a 12 ½ inch, basic, well-constructed block. The block doesn’t have to be detailed but it must not be falling apart. All seams should be ¼ inch or a scant ¼ with at least 12 stitches per inch. Blocks should not leave your hands until you know you have made every reasonable effort to get them as close to the 12 ½ inch size as you can get. We all respect new quilter’s need to learn and that will be taken into account. If you cannot consistently construct a 12 ½ inch block, this is not the swap for you. Also, this is important: Please allow yourself enough time to complete your full set of blocks. In other words, don’t leave them to the last week! The results can be hit-or-miss. And please be sure to clean up the blocks by trimming your threads and cutting dog ears.

Please pre-wash your 100 percent cotton quilting fabrics without any fragrance residue. Please note that that some swappers may be smokers or have pets. If pets or smoke is a problem for you, this isn’t the swap for you.

No public complaints or criticisms for any reason are permitted. All complaints must be addressed by Private Message (PM) or email to me at [email protected]. No exceptions!

To join Boom 20, please EMAIL me with BOOM 20 in the subject line at [email protected] with the following information:

Board Name
    Full Name
    Complete Address
    Best Phone Number
    Email Address
    Have you participated in other Boomerang Swaps? Yes/No
    If yes, what was your last Boom?

Have you fulfilled all your swap/exchange obligations on this board in the past?
    *2 Month Group OR 3 Month Group or both? (Newbies to the Boom should select only one group.)

*Group lengths and group sizes are fluid and will be determined by sign-ups. You may be asked to adjust to fill vacancies as needed. If changing doesn’t suit you, you may withdraw at that time.

Thank you for your interest in Boom 20. We hope you'll join us!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-10-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: shouting/ all caps

I would like to join the 3 month group
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Yeah count me in

yes both groups will e-mail you

I grew up in Iowa, I now live in Wisconsin
    Signed up for the 3 month group this time.

I'm in, sent you an email.

Jan

Sent an email for the 3 month group

I signed up for the 3 month group. Really missed Boom19 and all the craziness.
    The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary.

yeah, it is time again and I have my fabric. I sent an email to sign up for the 3 month group.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Email sent for both groups. Glad you got it figured out Janice!
    People may not remember what you looked like or what you said but they will always remember how you made them feel!

This is the link to my albums for all Boom swaps.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...99-albums.html

If you are reading this, you've found us! There are already 12 or 13 people signed up. Will be in touch with everyone in the next few days. Thanks!

Yeah! Glad you got the posting to work and so excited for another boom! My Christmas quilt from Boom 19 is done and bringing joy to my son's bedroom (aka guestroom). I'll try to post a picture tomorrow!

I've sent my email for 3 month group again! Can't wait to see everyone's fabric.

Blog Entries
    I'm sending info for 3month group.
    Boom 12 - Short & Sweet

I want to sign up so bad but just can't right now. There are too many things to do before my pending move. I will definitely be lurking and cheering everyone on. Looking forward to seeing all the wonderful blocks. Once I get settled in my new place, I will join in the next one.
    Karen

I am not a fabricaholic. I am the curator of an extensive private textile collection.

We'll miss you, klaws.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

You'll be missed but I was so glad to have you in the last round. . Keep in touch with the group. I know we all wish you well on this big change.
    Quote Originally Posted by klaws View Post
    I want to sign up so bad but just can't right now. There are too many things to do before my pending move. I will definitely be lurking and cheering everyone on. Looking forward to seeing all the wonderful blocks. Once I get settled in my new place, I will join in the next one.

A reminder on fabric because I know some of you might already be prepping: only fat eighths (no smaller than 18x10 inch de-selvaged pieces) will be used this round. Save smaller pieces for your own use. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
    A reminder on fabric because I know some of you might already be prepping: only fat eighths (no smaller than 18x10 inch de-selvaged pieces) will be used this round. Save smaller pieces for your own use. Thank you!
    Hi Jan FYI I sent you an e-mail also Count me in for the 2 month swap

Just a quick fyi that we've got 9 so far in the 2 month group and 13 in the 3 month group. What a start! Thank you, Boomers!

Also, mjpEncinitas, my email to you bounced back as undeliverable. Is there a better email address for you? Let me know. Thanks!
    Last edited by Janice McC; 12-11-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    Sent my email.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

I've never participated in a swap of this kind, so sorry if my question is obvious. Are there restrictions to what fabric the block maker adds to the fat eighth to complete the block? I've read the original post and gone through some of the other BOOM threads, and I didn't see anything mentioned. Of course, there are lots of beautiful blocks and quilts that kept me distracted...

Also, what are the differences between the 2 and 3 month groups? More blocks and more time to complete them?

I am in for both.
    Choose to focus your time, energy and conversation around people who inspire you, support you and help you to grow you into your happiest, strongest, wisest self.~Karen Salmansohn

Maude The groups are based on time, not number of blocks. The three month group will fill up with 20 people and you have three months to complete the blocks. The two month group doesn’t always fill up but could have up to 20 people in it.

Each boomer will have specific color requests to go along with the fabric they send. The color request will be in the fabric baggy you get for each boomer. It’s good to have solids and tone on tones on hand. I try to use what’s in my stash. When I go to quilt shops I stock up on the remnants of these for the boom.

Janice is very organized and the group usually runs very smoothly. It’s really fun.

Maude, it's also a good idea to have some white on white (WOW) and some COC (cream on cream) on hand to use for backgrounds. We can ask for certain colors to be used or not used with our F8. What we absolutely cannot specify is what block pattern to make with our fabric. That decision is left up to the boomer making the block. We have lots of fun with our chatter and all of our pictures that we post of blocks that we make. Hope you decide to join us!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

Maude - I hope you join in the fun. It is always scary the first time, and then you get hooked. Fabric must be 100% cotton that is washed. Some ask for a certain color scheme, or tell you who the quilt may be going to and that helps you pick out a pattern and material.
    And ask questions - always welcome
    The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 11 ... LastLast