Boom 21 - Dunes

Old 07-15-2018, 02:01 PM

Oh no!

I just completed my latest block and it's a 1/4 inch too small. I have no idea how this happened... I made a tester block first and have been really careful with cutting etc. but none-the-less here I am.

Any ideas?
Old 07-15-2018, 02:11 PM

Block that is a tad small:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597912[/ATTACH]

Can an it be taken out and resewn? Or a border added? Not sure with it being off by 1/4 inch if that would be too small of a border?
Attached Thumbnails 2e770baa-f89a-41cd-9e9a-f10bd108705a.jpeg  
Old 07-15-2018, 02:32 PM

Look at the seams between the quadrants to see if you’ve got some space there. If they are 1/4 inch or larger, you may be able to take just those seams apart and resew a slightly smaller seam to bring you closer to 12 1/2 inches square. As for adding a 1/4 inch border, you’d actually have to sew a 1/8 inch piece (plus seam allowance of 1/4 inch) all around each side to make it square. That would end up adding too much bulk in my opinion. I wouldn’t do it. Question: are you measuring with an acrylic ruler or are you using your mat markings? Don’t go by the mat as the lines are notoriously wrong on most mats. Measuring should be done with an acrylic ruler or square. And be sure to measure as you go to pick up small errors before they’re too large and you’re practically done.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
Block that is a tad small:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597912[/ATTACH]A

Can an it be taken out and resewn? Or a border added? Not sure with it being off by 1/4 inch if that would be too small of a border?
Old 07-15-2018, 03:31 PM

The first thing I would look at is just what Janice said see if there is enough seam allowance to let your 2 long center seams out just a bit and still have enough seam space not to fray. If not I would take the center seams out and the small yellow center triangles. I would add 1/4 inch (cut 3/4 inch) wide white strip to each long side of the white fabric petal then cut bigger yellow triangles and re assemble. That will give you 1/4 inch bigger on all side and keep your outer points.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597915[/ATTACH]

The seams where I drew the arrows.
Attached Thumbnails a1a.jpeg  
Old 07-15-2018, 04:32 PM

Correction on adding a strip of 1/8th. It’s 1/8th plus half an inch but I still wouldn’t do it. I like Kass’s idea if your center seams aren’t wide enough to make up the difference.
Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
Look at the seams between the quadrants to see if you’ve got some space there. If they are 1/4 inch or larger, you may be able to take just those seams apart and resew a slightly smaller seam to bring you closer to 12 1/2 inches square. As for adding a 1/4 inch border, you’d actually have to sew a 1/8 inch piece (plus seam allowance of 1/4 inch) all around each side to make it square. That would end up adding too much bulk in my opinion. I wouldn’t do it. Question: are you measuring with an acrylic ruler or are you using your mat markings? Don’t go by the mat as the lines are notoriously wrong on most mats. Measuring should be done with an acrylic ruler or square. And be sure to measure as you go to pick up small errors before they’re too large and you’re practically done.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
The first thing I would look at is just what Janice said see if there is enough seam allowance to let your 2 long center seams out just a bit and still have enough seam space not to fray. If not I would take the center seams out and the small yellow center triangles. I would add 1/4 inch (cut 3/4 inch) wide white strip to each long side of the white fabric petal then cut bigger yellow triangles and re assemble. That will give you 1/4 inch bigger on all side and keep your outer points.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597915[/ATTACH]

The seams where I drew the arrows.
thanks Janice and Kass.

i have a 12 1/2 square ruler that I’m using to check for size and square, I don’t trust my matt, it will lie and tell me what I want to hear. Lol

i took it apart to the center seams and restitched it with 1/8th seam and it fixed it in all but one spot. Sigh. I guess one of my quadrants was off from the rest. It’s very close, I’m worried if I take it apart again that it might start to fray in earnest. What do you guys think, risk the fray or send a known shy block? I don’t think I have enough fabric to do another. It was done with snowballs so not sure if I can take it all the way apart and resew?

Maybe I should ask Libster what she would prefer, better the devil you know! Lol
Old 07-15-2018, 06:01 PM

MonaG, I really like the circle of squares block. I have never seen that block before, I may have to borrow it!

Kass, once again you are the fabric whisperer! The submarine portholes are about the cutest thing ever!

Great blocks, all.

It was a cool rainy day here in Wyoming - a wonderful break from the heat that so many of us have been going through. Great day to stay inside cleaning and sewing.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

Anything smaller than a 1" border is a real pain when you go to join the blocks. I hope you have enough seam allowance to let your seams out a bit. What I do is sew a second seam just inside the first one, and then pick the first seam out. Cumulatively that should give you the 1/4". It doesn't take much.

And ditto what Janice said about not measuring on your mat. You need to put an acrylic ruler on top of the block to really tell. And start measuring from a corner of the ruler so you can accurately tell if it's small. If you don't have a 12.5 acrylic ruler, you really need to buy one if you are going to be making 12.5" blocks. JoAnn's has them either on sale or eligible for a coupon just about every week.

Good luck, Pamela! Let us know how it goes.

edit: Oops, just read that you do have a ruler and have pretty much resolved the problem. I pick out seams repeatedly if they aren't working out. No fraying. I would try and find where you can let something out a bit more to get the whole block to 12.5".

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 07-15-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:35 PM

Made one block tonight for Quiltermomma, just plain to hot to try any more.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597927[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails abbaff1f-6656-4c74-8d42-5f1710d640b0.jpeg  
Old 07-15-2018, 08:12 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597929[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]597930[/ATTACH]
The one on the left is my practice block I made for myself. The second block is for Jaba and looks nothing like the first block even though they started from the same pattern. As I was deciding color placement for Jaba’s Block somehow those diamonds showed up & I liked how it looked. I hope it works in her quilt. Prayers up for you Jaba.

(Janice you don’t have to put my block in the gallery, I don’t want to confuse your counting on the return trip.)
Attached Thumbnails 7d9328db-bdbb-4440-859b-e16f7f5e0924.jpeg   c9bf723a-977d-4485-ad67-102c5d469518.jpeg