Boom 21 - Dunes

Old 07-05-2018, 09:58 AM

Bestill my heart, a mirror image repeating print w/ fun colors, I'll do a side swap w/ you in Sept(ish)
Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
I’ve been lurking ladies and watching all the beautiful blocks being made and missing being part of the boom. We’ve been traveling up through Oregon, van camping at the national parks and monuments, climbing to hot springs and hanging with the hippies. Now we are in a wonderful house exchange in Portland. We plan to head to the Olympic peninsula for a bit then head to the Sisters Quilt show.

While I was here I stopped at Powell’s city of books ( they buy 3000 books a day) and I bought 3 used quilt books. I went to cool cottons and bought some fabric that would make good swap fabric. It has a fun orangey repeat. If you are looking for a possible side swap in September. I only need 4 or 5 swaps for what I want to do. If you’re interested PM me.

The other fabrics are for for the ladies who I’m teaching how to quilt. Kind of like the one eyed man leading the blind.

I look forward to living vicariously through you and watching the boom progress.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597241[/ATTACH]
Old 07-05-2018, 10:03 AM

Oh mine is beautiful, thanks so much.
Originally Posted by Mona G View Post
These are my blocks for today, my husband and I are spending the afternoon with my daughter and her boyfriend.
I will be heading down to Iowa for a funeral tomorrow morning and a baby shower on Saturday so won't get any sewing done tomorrow either.

Billi - this started out as a pineapple blossom then I decided to add the white to the other corners, making it a square in a square instead and like how it turned out so didn't do anymore snowballing.

Kassaundra - this is another block with the lazy angle ruler, the colors are off a little in the photo.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I've sent out two envelopes of "rescue scraps" already this boom! It's what we do!

Wow, so many comments and great blocks posted today! Too many to address each one... Mona, I love my Chubby Star! Love that pattern, and thank you for using the third color option, too. It looks great!

The blocks are smokin' today, ladies! Better than fireworks.
I am receiving one of Sewbiz's rescue envelopes today!!! Thanks for rescue SBG!! We all make mistakes! And usually learn from them. The fabric SBG is sending me, I made the same cutting mistake last boom.

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
Got my three blocks uploaded
First is for Klaws. I had seen this pattern before receiving note to her colors. I asked she would want it anyway and I got a resounding Yes - hope you like it
Next is for Have4Boys - since the quilt is for Natalie I personalized it (with permission)
Last but not least I made for MonaG - "black and white with a pop of color" pattern is called chisom trail.
Great blocks TG! The personalized block is very nice. It will add a perfect touch to the quilt.

Originally Posted by Mona G View Post
Billi - this started out as a pineapple blossom then I decided to add the white to the other corners, making it a square in a square instead and like how it turned out so didn't do anymore snowballing.

Kassaundra - this is another block with the lazy angle ruler, the colors are off a little in the photo.
MonaG, Billi & Kassaundra's blocks are both very nice. I also want to get a lazy angle ruler and learn how to make these cool blocks.

As other have said, there are so many blocks posted over the last 2 days. I think they are all fabulous! Pamela, I am also very nervous to cut the f8s; however, I just figure that if I goof (and I have several times), I change the block pattern. If I need more focus fabric, I ask around.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:25 AM

If I am concerned I might not have enough fabric I draw out a rectangle on graph paper 1 box per inch and then draw out the pieces to size (1 block per inch or 1 block per 1/2 inch) depending on how worried I am I won't have enough. (I cut it close often)
Old 07-05-2018, 10:40 AM

TG, great blocks, love the paper pieced Santa!
Mona G you have terrific blocks too, I just love what you created with that angle ruler, I plan to get one before the next boom.
MJP, oh my gosh, that kitty cutting sushi is adorable, I know I need that fabric!
Old 07-05-2018, 10:47 AM

TG love your three blocks, Santa is so darn cute, the Red N is so much fun and love the splash of bright yellow.

MJP good to hear from you and it sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Hope you can take lots of pictures at Sister’s and share them with us. If you need more side swappers in September I would love to swap with you

Mona your blocks are fun love how you have mastered the angle ruler. Enjoy your time with your daughter and sorry on the funeral

today is beautiful, a brisk wind to keep the bugs and flys away. Hubby and I did grocery shopping and errands today, plan to head out in our floats soon. The humidity has dropped dramatically. Wonderful
Old 07-05-2018, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Two more great blocks, Mona! I like the pointy star too. Wonder if I can do that with some of my Angle Play rulers?
Old 07-05-2018, 11:43 AM

Wow...the santa and the brown block for Kass are wonderful!! Ive never heard of an Lazy Angle play ruler? Is it anything like the Angle Play ones? Id like a whole quilt out of that one for Kass!
Old 07-05-2018, 01:32 PM

Wow, everyone has been busy! I have a t-shirt quilt I'm finishing up tonight, then I'm on to block making! Although, I was convinced (suckered?) to teach summer school so that takes a bite out of quilting time. Slow start, but someone has to post blocks when you are all done, right?

So many amazing blocks (love the santa by TG)... and quite the stories on mis-cutting. I think so far I've done ok, but now that I said that you know what is about to happen!

I'm not sure if I enjoy checking this board more to see all the amazing blocks or just to get a daily update on my friends... this sure is a special place.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JayneW View Post
I'm not sure if I enjoy checking this board more to see all the amazing blocks or just to get a daily update on my friends... this sure is a special place.
Thank you, Jayne.... it sure is!

Sorry about the summer school. Don't they know that cuts into your quilting and travel time?!

I, for one, would love to see your T shirt quilt when you get it done. Please post a picture! I've made a few and they are a big pain, but always turn out pretty cool.