Boom 21 - Dunes

Old 07-04-2018, 05:46 PM

PamelaOry, oh boy, cutting mistakes happen. Well, they happen to me often enough that I won’t pretend they don’t. My big goof this round (so far) was on Cheesehead’s fabric in Waves. Got down to the very last piece to add to each of the four quadrants of her block when I cut each one 1/4 inch short. It was late and I should have quit earlier in the evening. After lots of swearing, I was able to determine I had just enough left of her fabric to redo it from scratch the next day. Had I not had enough, I’d have come up with something. It’s often during the midst of a “crisis” that I’m forced to reimagine a block or create something new. The mistakes teach me much more than the blocks that go smoothly. If you have a cutting error, go ahead and get out the frustration, then walk away and let your brain ponder the possibilities. You’ll figure something out.
Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
Thanks Libster, I’ve been terrified about what I’m going to do if I make a cutting mistake.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:50 PM

Libster, even your “mistakes” are wonderful! Lol. I love this one for Joanelizbay.
Originally Posted by Libster View Post
Mona, thank you for the pretty block! Adding some green just seems to make my fabric wake up.

Last block for today is for Joanelizbay. Joan, this block started out as the Blue Heaven pattern. (I'm only admitting this so that our new Boomers know that we make mistakes too.) Well, I cut some squares to small so I had to improvise with what I had. I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out. I have no clue what the block name is. No more cutting for me tonight!
Old 07-04-2018, 05:55 PM

I've made my share of cutting errors too. Most times I figured a work around a few times fellow boomers have sent me a piece of fabric.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I've made my share of cutting errors too. Most times I figured a work around a few times fellow boomers have sent me a piece of fabric.
I've sent out two envelopes of "rescue scraps" already this boom! It's what we do!

Wow, so many comments and great blocks posted today! Too many to address each one... Mona, I love my Chubby Star! Love that pattern, and thank you for using the third color option, too. It looks great!

The blocks are smokin' today, ladies! Better than fireworks.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:18 AM

Pamela thank you for the great block, love the colors in your fabric choices!

Libster love the chevron star of delight quilt block!

As for cutting errors I had mine last year, the second time I was involved in a Boom swap. Your heart sinks when you realize your mistake, then comes lots of choice words. The real challenge is being to create something out of that mistake and the self satisfaction of completing that "oops" block.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:42 AM

Yes, that’s right. “How do I make something wonderful out of an oops?” If I put everything I have on the design board, I can make a switch to something new if I can let go or my original idea. Otherwise, it’s time to put a call out for scraps. Had to do it with Bootsy’s pink block a couple of rounds back. That was a simple error in calculating how much I needed to begin with. Giant oops.

Am am wondering what everyone’s biggest oops was if you care to share. I will tell you mine was not a cutting goof but the disappearance of an f8. Gone. Poof. Now you see it, now you don’t. The owner was quite gracious and with a couple of boomers’ help, I was able to make a block. It’s been years and that f8 has not reappeared yet. I still wonder where it went.
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Pamela thank you for the great block, love the colors in your fabric choices!

Libster love the chevron star of delight quilt block!

As for cutting errors I had mine last year, the second time I was involved in a Boom swap. Your heart sinks when you realize your mistake, then comes lots of choice words. The real challenge is being to create something out of that mistake and the self satisfaction of completing that "oops" block.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:14 AM

Well, I think mine was the time I went to the post office to mail my finished blocks for the early group to Janice. My package was open because I was going to put stamps on my return envelope. Had everything laying on the counter in the package, except the return envelope which was already addressed. The postal lady says she will seal it up for me and take care of it. I watched her do it. When Janice got it, I was missing one finished block. Talk about a heart attack! Luckily, I was in both groups and the missing fabric was too. I had enough scraps left to make another decent block. Talk about a sick feeling.....I hope never again!
Old 07-05-2018, 05:11 AM

One of my first booms I made a disappearing pinwheel block and miss cut (also miss sized the original large pinwheel) anyway didn't have enough of the main fabric. I forget exactly where I added the extra fabric (but think I remember to the outside of the big pin wheel) and added a coordinating fabric. Anyway when the dust settled I had a disappearing pin wheel that had a contrasting + plus sign built into the block turned out even better then originally planned.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:15 AM

Libster, whatever its called I LOVE it!! so pretty. Thank you. I seem to have more oops when I use Quilters Cache patterns...they usually don't come out 12 1/2 so Ive learned to make the pieces a tad bigger. When I remember my first couple of booms I'm amazed I'm still allowed in! I was definitely NOT a block maker back then and am so glad Ive learned from you guys. A lot of amazing people here who give excellent tips!! Jaba was on my mind this morning.. hope shes doing well...
Old 07-05-2018, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

One of my big "oops" was in my local swap... just like the boom but with my local group. I had pieces that only went one way and had to be cut right side up. Before I realized this I cut the pieces from a folded f8, so half were wrong side up! Not enough fabric left so I had to go shopping on Etsy to find some more... luckily I did! That was good lesson!