Boom 21 - Dunes

Old 07-04-2018, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
Ok, I’m smitten. After seeing the Dresden plate blocks made here and in waves (I’m a lurker there) I’ve discovered that I really love them. I’d like to try to make one but can’t seem to find a pattern for a 12 “ ( 12 1/2” unfinished) one. Does anyone have a pattern or know of one on the net somewhere?
I'm not one of the resident Dresden experts here, but what I have is a template that I got at JoAnn's. You cut whatever length blades you need and then sew the ends to make a point. Then sew the long edges together and applique it down on your 12.5" background. Last of all, you cut a circle to applique down over the raw inside edges. Dresdens are applique.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:57 PM

The spruce crafts has a 12 1/2 dresden block

Old 07-04-2018, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
Ok, I’m smitten. After seeing the Dresden plate blocks made here and in waves (I’m a lurker there) I’ve discovered that I really love them. I’d like to try to make one but can’t seem to find a pattern for a 12 “ ( 12 1/2” unfinished) one. Does anyone have a pattern or know of one on the net somewhere?
I haven't used this particular pattern myself, but there's one on Quilter's Cache: http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DresdenPlateBlock.html

For 20-blade Dresdens, I use the "Easy Dresden" ruler by Darlene Zimmerman. It comes with complete instructions, and a chart showing the size the wedges need to be in order to make a block the size you want. The ruler was only about $7, so it's a good value for the money.

For 10-blade Dresdens, I use the "36-Degree Double Wide Dresden" ruler by Me and My Sister Designs. It has a pattern book (sold separately) which has lots of ideas and traceable/copy-able templates inside it.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:14 PM

Happy 4th of July everyone. I see others have been busy sewing today also. I got two blocks done in between the storms.

Libster gets a chubby star also
Sewbizgirl gets a pineapple blossom
Attached Thumbnails libster-pineapple-blossom.jpg   swebizgirl-chubby-star.jpg  
Old 07-04-2018, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by WANNABEE View Post
The spruce crafts has a 12 1/2 dresden block

Thank you! I will check it out.
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I'm not one of the resident Dresden experts here, but what I have is a template that I got at JoAnn's. You cut whatever length blades you need and then sew the ends to make a point. Then sew the long edges together and applique it down on your 12.5" background. Last of all, you cut a circle to applique down over the raw inside edges. Dresdens are applique.
i saw one tutorial where they sewed the center to a circle of wonder under or something of the sort, and flipped it to create a finished edge center circle. I’m excited to try to make one of these. Thank you!

Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
I haven't used this particular pattern myself, but there's one on Quilter's Cache: http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DresdenPlateBlock.html

For 20-blade Dresdens, I use the "Easy Dresden" ruler by Darlene Zimmerman. It comes with complete instructions, and a chart showing the size the wedges need to be in order to make a block the size you want. The ruler was only about $7, so it's a good value for the money.

For 10-blade Dresdens, I use the "36-Degree Double Wide Dresden" ruler by Me and My Sister Designs. It has a pattern book (sold separately) which has lots of ideas and traceable/copy-able templates inside it.
thanks! I didn’t see the one on quilters cache. I’m finding a lot of useful stuff there but it’s a bit awkward for me to navigate. I’ll check it out .

I really love your dresdens btw, very inspiring! ��
Old 07-04-2018, 02:34 PM

I just bought a 12.5 Dresden template.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:40 PM

Bstone I finished the sugar skulls. I took colors from the fabric the green fabric is a perfect match for those green leaves, and the orange is near perfect for most of the orange in the print. I thought the "lines" in the green fabric mimicked the line drawing in the skulls. Hope you like it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597200[/ATTACH]

Pamela the rulers that have been mentioned are all good. So much fun you can do w/ dressies so many variations. Some of the modern ones aren't appliqued at all ( straight blades that come to the edges of the block) and squared centers. For my centers I make a circle w/ a stiff thin cardboard cut a piece of fabric about 1 inch bigger and do a quick basting stitch around the edges pull it tight over the cardboard and press the beegeesus out of it to get a firm pressing line, let it cool, take the stitching out and take the cardboard out and sew in place.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0445.jpg  
Old 07-04-2018, 02:42 PM

thanks! I didn’t see the one on quilters cache. I’m finding a lot of useful stuff there but it’s a bit awkward for me to navigate. I’ll check it out .

I really love your dresdens btw, very inspiring! ��
I agree about their site navigation. I wish they had a thumbnail picture of the patterns on the page instead of just the block name. Sometimes it takes forever to find what I'm looking for. It's still a great source for free patterns, though, so I can't complain too much.

The Dresdens are a little fiddly to make, especially the ones with lots of blades, but they're relaxing and not difficult at all. There are a lot of options with them, too, such as making the blades pointy, making them rounded, adding leaves to make a flower, different color combos, etc.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:47 PM

Kassaundra - You do amazing work!
Old 07-04-2018, 02:48 PM

Mona G, great blocks you made for Libster and SBG!

Kass the sugar skulls are another great design, what a fun block!