Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Boom 23, Night Owls 3 month group

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    SBG, I am trying something a little different this round. I am using a scant quarter inch seam to make the units of the block. When I get to the point when it's time to (for instance) sew the rows together, I will change back and use a full quarter inch stitch...clear as mud?!

I see I may have to retake a picture of the block I just posted, it really turned out dark. It's been overcast and raining off and on today, the same predicted for tomorrow.

Cheese
    Thanks for your reply about seam allowances. Your points are nice and far from the edge of the block, so not in danger of being lost.

Love this block for Marija!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    My machine is set for a scant 1/4", just 1 thread width exactly, but what I have to do is when I cut strips or pieces, etc. make sure your ruler line is on the fabric, not just before or the ruler line butted up to it. If you don't lay the ruler on the fabric itself usually it will not be the width it should be. Most generally I have found that if I don't do this I will have about a 12 1/4" block and those points will be right at the edge or an eighth of an inch inside. Just a suggestion some of you may try, I know it makes a big difference for me. Also, I use the same ruler for cutting a block. Sometimes you think they are all the same, but believe me they are not! The width of a black line on them can make a difference when you cut several pieces.

Good tips, Jaba!
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html

I love seeing all of the beautiful blocks showing up! I received my fabrics and am excited to get started!!
    Vikki

Doing life one block at a time

Here is what I worked on today. Home with my husband as he has an infection from a broken tooth.

I am designing my blocks in EQ8 and having a blast.

For MJPEncinitas
    Name:  MJPEncinitas Night Owls.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  103.4 KB
    For PamelaOry
    Name:  PamelaOry Night Owls.jpg
Size:  88.6 KB
    For IrishMom
    Name:  BOOM 23 Night Owls IrishMom.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  125.8 KB
    For QueenBarbieJ
    Name:  QBJ Night Owls.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  118.0 KB
    Choose to focus your time, energy and conversation around people who inspire you, support you and help you to grow you into your happiest, strongest, wisest self.~Karen Salmansohn

Quote Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
    I finished Bstone's block today. I like how it turned out. I could only use 8 of those 4 patches so I picked my least favorite to eliminate, hope it was your least favorite too.

Attachment 616000
    Kass, you always make the coolest blocks. I love looking for what you come up with next.

Quote Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
    Well that wasn't a very lengthy tease, I didn't think I would get finished today, but I got on a roll. This block is for Suziesew hope you like it and it doesn't have to many colors.

Attachment 616006
    Another great one.

Quote Originally Posted by jaba View Post
    I can start.....soon! Got my big envelope today, count is good. Had a doctor's appt. this afternoon, everything good to go, sort of, just had to get an update tettinus (sp) shot and a P13. Will send a PM with count so Janice knows.
    Hubby Bill has to have surgery on the 22nd. Torn roto cup and tendon repair. We'll be quite the pair for a month or so
    Prayers for your husband to have a safe surgery and speedy recovery.

Just finished two blocks this morning.

For SuziSewAttachment 616023

For LStew2212Attachment 616024
    Cheesehead, I love my block, it's exactly what I had envisioned. Thank you

Last block for the day is for Marija.Attachment 616027
    Great block for Marija.

Quote Originally Posted by jaba View Post
    My machine is set for a scant 1/4", just 1 thread width exactly, but what I have to do is when I cut strips or pieces, etc. make sure your ruler line is on the fabric, not just before or the ruler line butted up to it. If you don't lay the ruler on the fabric itself usually it will not be the width it should be. Most generally I have found that if I don't do this I will have about a 12 1/4" block and those points will be right at the edge or an eighth of an inch inside. Just a suggestion some of you may try, I know it makes a big difference for me. Also, I use the same ruler for cutting a block. Sometimes you think they are all the same, but believe me they are not! The width of a black line on them can make a difference when you cut several pieces.
    Jaba, Thanks for the advise. I always have issues with seams. I have to pay special attention to this when I piece. I went out and bought new rulers for this Boom time around. I hope it helps. I will pay attention to where I place my rulers too.

Quote Originally Posted by hav4boys View Post
    Here is what I worked on today. Home with my husband as he has an infection from a broken tooth.

I am designing my blocks in EQ8 and having a blast.

For MJPEncinitas
    Name:  MJPEncinitas Night Owls.jpg
Size:  103.4 KB
    For PamelaOry
    Name:  PamelaOry Night Owls.jpg
Size:  88.6 KB
    For IrishMom
    Name:  BOOM 23 Night Owls IrishMom.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  125.8 KB
    For QueenBarbieJ
    Name:  QBJ Night Owls.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  118.0 KB
    My favorite time is logging into our thread and seeing all the great blocks. Love your blocks, Hav4boys.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

Hav4boys I love my kitty block. Thank you. This one is for Sewbizgirl
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful blocks Hav4 and Queen!

Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej View Post
    Hav4boys I love my kitty block. Thank you. This one is for Sewbizgirl
    Really cool block. Beautiful
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

Hav, beautiful blocks! All captured the owner's themes so well.

Queen, thank you for my cool surfer block. Great contrast achieved.

I was hoping the caramel color wasn't too dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej View Post
    I was hoping the caramel color wasn't too dark.
    It matches the tips of the brown leaves!

Finally back from vacation.
    Thank you for the beautiful block have4boys. I’m already making quilting plans for this one. I think a round medallion quilting pattern will look great on this block.

I received my squishy with the 19 fabrics. I have to finish quilting a lap quilt and then I’ll start. I have ideas for a lot of them.

For those of you who are letting me use more than two colors you’ll be getting one of my odd blocks. Sorry Libster. No star for you. I have a really good idea for this one.
    Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 08-14-2019 at 06:48 AM.

H4b lots more great blocks, very unique. Wish I could have figured out the EQ software

QB another wonderfully unique block. Do you use EQ software also

Blog Entries
    Great blocks hav4boys, I love mine, thank you! All that fabulous color!!
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

PamelaOry, I had a stack of fabric in different colors I kept trying out. I always love doing your blocks because I like color.
    Choose to focus your time, energy and conversation around people who inspire you, support you and help you to grow you into your happiest, strongest, wisest self.~Karen Salmansohn

Terriamn no I do not use any software. Most of my blocks I find the pattern free online. If I see a block I like online and there is no pattern then I mentally break it apart to figure out what size pieces I need to cut to make the pattern.

Sewbizgirls block I just shot from the hip on that one. No pattern just an idea in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
    Finally back from vacation.
    Thank you for the beautiful block have4boys. I’m already making quilting plans for this one. I think a round medallion quilting pattern will look great on this block.

I received my squishy with the 19 fabrics. I have to finish quilting a lap quilt and then I’ll start. I have ideas for a lot of them.

For those of you who are letting me use more than two colors you’ll be getting one of my odd blocks. Sorry Libster. No star for you. I have a really good idea for this one.

Oh, wow, I can't wait to see what you come up with! Hope your vacation was a great one.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

Love your blocks Hav! You do great work
    Sue

Omgosh! I worked on a long post earlier and it appears I never posted it? Good grief. Well, that's just par for the course this week. I'll just say everyone's blocks are terrific. I've been able to update the gallery to include the lastest photos you posted. As always, if you spot an error or realize a block is missing, don't hesitate to let me know.

As I said over in Early Birds, I'm in the process of finding out what's going on with me and I'm stressing to the nth degree. I've got some upcoming doctor appointments and so I hope to know the cause of the problems soon. Thanks for your kindnesses.
    Gallery: Boomerangswaps.weebly.com

Blog Entries
    Anyone having trouble getting into gallery like I am? Any suggestions? I click on it but nothing happens.
    Boom 12 - Short & Sweet

Thank you for the compliments everyone. I am taking my time and Jack and I have become best buddies with my 12.5 X 12.5 ruler a close second cousin.

I love seeing what everyone is doing with all the fabric. Some really beautiful blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by annt59 View Post
    Anyone having trouble getting into gallery like I am? Any suggestions? I click on it but nothing happens.

I just tried it and had no problems getting in. You may have been trying while Janice was updating it.

When she's adding to it, it sometimes won't work for me.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

Janice, will pray all goes well and you check out fine. Don't worry about anything here for a while... just take care of your health.

I have ideas for several blocks, but I have to get the baby tops done first. I kind of like having some block making to look forward to.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast