Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 27 sign-ups open through 1/9/22 >

Boom 27 sign-ups open through 1/9/22

Boom 27 sign-ups open through 1/9/22

Old 01-06-2022, 12:30 PM

Default fabric selection question

Hi all, this is my first boom and I'm so excited! I've been lurking and a little overwhelmed with my round robin, but that swap is almost finished. I am in awe of the completed projects on the weebly page, and definitely have some "favorites" for color choices on those pages. I've been in round robins with some of you and am very excited to work with you. I see that in past booms, some of you have sent more than one fabric, it seems that several fabrics are sent perhaps from a designer's collection, and some send only one fabric or a reverse (the Michigan State white background and green background). Some of you have been in the booms many times, have any of you developed an opinion as to what you like to do best or what you think has worked best, a collection, two color or one fabric? Thanks for weighing in, I'm not sure what to send yet, I'm tossing around a few ideas. I love scrappy quilts but I'm not sure this swap lends itself to scrappy, perhaps it is better for two colors or 3 colors? I'm wondering if anyone has sent one fabric but requested a theme such as Kansas Troubles or 30's or baskets, for example?. Hugs in advance!!
Old 01-06-2022, 12:57 PM

Hi Rebaquilts. I’m sure you will get a number of perspectives from past boomers but I’ll say that I think our blocks tend to be naturally more scrappy than you may get think. There’s usually only one focus fabric per block, your f8, and each person’s fabrics they add to it will be different. You can always send multiple different F8s (a different one per person) to get a scrappier feel. If you don’t make color requests, you will get a wider array of colors used.

As for a theme, be wary of getting too specific with that. Not everyone will have 30s fabric or Kansas Troubles or easily have access to getting them. You might ask for a 30s vibe but you may not get 30s fabrics or patterns. As for the block pattern, you might mention you like baskets, but block choice is always the makers. If the maker wants to do something else, they’re entitled to. This isn’t a swap where you are going to know exactly what you are going to get back, and that’s part of the fun of it.

Last edited by Janice McC; 01-06-2022 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:00 PM

Groups will have flower names. 😉
Old 01-06-2022, 02:02 PM

I have chosen my fabrics. The tie-dye was made for me by my nephew and I am going to go with a solid black and the fabric. I think it will make a gorgeous quilt.

The skull is going to be a quilt for my sister. She is on the sheriff's search and rescue team. She has a trailing dog and a cadaver dog, so she is really into the skull and bones. This will be for her to keep in her vehicle and have while on searches. I will be sending a patch of orange to use with the fabric and then solid black and/or white. I would like minimal white so it does not get stained.

Looking forward to the BOOM.
Attached Thumbnails boom-27-2-month-group.jpg   boom-27-3-month-group.jpg  
Old 01-06-2022, 02:26 PM

Loving these fabrics. I've chosen my fabric for the two month group finally.
Welcome to all the new Boomers. You're gonna' be hooked in no time. I warn you, the Booms are definitely addictive!
Rebaquilts, I usually ask for a specific color for background and then an accent color to match something in my focus fabric. Do keep in mind that everybody has their own interpretation of colors. I love scrappy quilts, but sometimes I like to have a more controlled colorway. I have never gotten back blocks that I wouldn't use. For me, the main thing to strive for is that 12 1/2" block. I'm sure there are going to be other opinions of what other Boomers want for their quilts. That's what makes the Booms so much fun. Again, welcome!
Attached Thumbnails 100_0033-3-.jpg  
Old 01-06-2022, 02:54 PM

H4b very fun fabrics to work with

Libster I am always game or florals, the second one is so darn cute.

Reba I have been in many booms and usually pick a color I would like for a background and then ask for any tone on tone print or a fabric with a small to tiny design that the colors match my fabric. Other times I have been much more specific such as asking for only shades of a certain color. The quilt that Janeice posted of mine with the bright colors I asked for only bright colors no black or white. The snowflake one I asked to make it a winner theme not Christmas and use shades of blue. Hope that helps
Old 01-06-2022, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

What fun to see some of the fabrics showing up! It always gets the creative ideas percolating.

Hi Reba, because of size constraints for mailing, Janice usually asks us to stick to just one piece of fabric for each player. If you need to add an accent, she usually requests it be small, like 6"x6" max. My only advice to you would be to keep it simple on your first Boom.

Can't wait to create with these pretty fabrics!
Old 01-06-2022, 06:18 PM

Here is one of my fabrics. Use primary colors in fabric. Theme: things that fly
Airplanes, jets, balloons whatever
Attached Thumbnails 20220106_191420.jpg  
Old 01-06-2022, 06:23 PM

My other fabric wont load ftom.phone no matter how small I make it. But it will be train theme
Old 01-06-2022, 06:41 PM

Reba, I personally find two color blocks to be the most difficult to do. It really limits the blocks you can do. For me, these blocks never turn out as good as my blocks for other quilters who allow a wider choice.

I’m not sure what 30s fabric is and don’t know what Kansas troubles are either. I guess I’m in trouble with your block!

i find my best quilts are when I send one focus fabric, a small companion piece and limit the color choices to the participants to a few that are in the fabric. However I have seen people break this rule end up with gorgeous quilts. Terriamn asked for blocks with complementary colors with her focus fabric one boom. These turned out amazing.

this time I’ve sent a wide variety of fabrics by the same designer and a companion piece that’s the same for everyone. They can use any color in their focus fabric. This is definitely going to be a scrappy quilt.

i think I might’ve been in a summer swap with you. I actually like this swap better as there is no repetition. Each block is unique. Welcome and enjoy!

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 01-06-2022 at 06:54 PM.