Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boom 31 Sign-ups open thru Feb 10! >
  • Boom 31 Sign-ups open thru Feb 10!

• Boom 31 Sign-ups open thru Feb 10!

Old 02-07-2024, 05:31 AM
    Power Poster

No AC growing up in upstate NY but heat was much more important there!
    My first nursing position was in a hospital where the only AC room was the administrator's office. Can you imagine? Patients had it rough in the heat.
    Old 02-07-2024, 05:50 AM

We didn’t have air growing up either and the house I lived in for 44 years didn’t have central air either. We had a window unit upstairs and that was it till I married again and we installed a unit on the main floor. Fans were our friend
    Old 02-07-2024, 04:25 PM

Boy, I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I moved into a condo that had air conditioning. I never had air as a child, but in my part of the world, Michigan, we only had a week or two of really nasty hot days and fans made a difference particularly at night. With the change in climate, we have more hot days in the summer months. I find that I don't use the AC as much as I thought I would. Mostly at night when the humidity is crazy high. I do have the advantage of my condo being tucked into the side of a hill which helps keep things cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Lots of memories of opening doors and windows in rotation to let in the cool air and let out the hot air in my family home as a child and listening to the hum of a fan rotate back and forth.
    Old 02-08-2024, 04:22 AM

Good morning, Boomers! We will be having a single 3 month group. Here's a current list of swappers and the number of groups each wants. If you spot an error or wish to add or delete a group, please let me know With those wishing 2 groups, we have the equivalent of 17 swappers. That will make for a wide range of fabrics I hope.

Are there any fence-sitters out there? If you are interested, we'd love to have you join us! Sign-ups close Saturday night.

Cheesehead - 1 group
    Logcabin82 - 1 group
    Terriamn - 2 groups
    Sewbizgirl - 2 groups
    Libster - 2 groups
    WMUTeach - 1 group
    Janice McC - 2 groups
    Lstew2212 - 1 group
    SusieQOH - 1 group
    Hav4boys - 2 groups
    Rebaquilts - 1 group
    TravelingGramma - 1 group

We're having a beautiful sunrise this morning. Gorgeous pinks and oranges. The younger grand is going to spend a few hours with us today while her sister is at pre-school and her parents are working. DH went to Sam's Club for a few supplies and came home with a child's teepee for her. That's so my hubby! Before she gets here, I hope to get one more block done for my 365 quilt. My goodness, making 3 1/2 inch unfinished blocks is improving my skills. I've got that seam allowance down to a thread's width now. No room for error with those blocks and they still haven't gotten complicated. This will definitely be a challenge. Hope everyone has a lovely day.
    Old 02-08-2024, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by travelinggramma
    lstew I believe this will be my first HP block. Can’t recall getting it before. My granddaughter wanrs to know which house you are from!

so how many of you had AC when you grew up? It now we all need it! At least time of year should be fine.
    TG, Tell your Granddaughter I was chosen for Gryffindor. My Petronis is a RagDoll Cat and my wand is made from vine with a unicorn core. You can't tell I'm obsessed. LOL
    Old 02-08-2024, 06:07 AM

WMUTech, I have often wondered how we tolerated and slept through the night in our ole house growing up but I think it’s exactly what you said. It just plain wasn’t that hot way back then.
    Old 02-08-2024, 06:46 AM

I grew up with central air conditioning but it was used rarely for the heat. My father had severe hayfever and the AC was used in late summer to the first frost.to keep his allergies under control.

This is my fabric that I will be sending for this Boom.. My daughter in law requested a quilt made with this fabric for the holidays, I am asking for cream, red and green to be used in the blocks.

Cheese
    Attached Thumbnails img_0402.jpg  
    Old 02-08-2024, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lstew2212
    TG, Tell your Granddaughter I was chosen for Gryffindor. My Petronis is a RagDoll Cat and my wand is made from vine with a unicorn core. You can't tell I'm obsessed. LOL
    I will tell her - I helped her make capes for her and and her sister - first time using a real pattern. I don't follow HP but will try to work you into the blocks!!
    Old 02-08-2024, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by terriamn
    WMUTech, I have often wondered how we tolerated and slept through the night in our ole house growing up but I think it’s exactly what you said. It just plain wasn’t that hot way back then.
    We certainly didn't have AC - and when we got our first home DH put in one window unit. Well with the kids running in and out and the noise it made - I just shut it off during the day! We just were used to the heat and humidity. The humidity is what gets me the most and the allergies affect my DH so AC comes on.
    But when possible I will open doors and windows and enjoy!

cheesehead - love your fabric - and looking forward to making it into a block
    Old 02-08-2024, 11:59 AM
    Power Poster

Growing up, there was no A/C at home. I think the grocery store and maybe the movie theaters had A/C. We had window fans. During the absolute hottest nights, I remember sleeping out on the screen porch. When I graduated High School I went to Hawaii to live, and homes there didn't have A/C either! Or most cars. We slept with windows open and enjoyed the trade winds breezes. I drove with car windows down. We just got acclimated to the temps every season, which I think is healthier for humans than living in all A/C during the summer. I still feel less hot at the end of the summer (after I'm used to it) than at the same temp at the beginning of summer. We do acclimate.