Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang Friendship Swap 1.0(Sign-Ups Closed)-Need Help Identifying Two Fabrics :-) 09/27/10 >

Boomerang Friendship Swap 1.0(Sign-Ups Closed)-Need Help Identifying Two Fabrics :-) 09/27/10

Boomerang Friendship Swap 1.0(Sign-Ups Closed)-Need Help Identifying Two Fabrics :-) 09/27/10

Old 01-10-2010, 08:28 AM

happy birthday to you!!! hope you had a wonderful one
Old 01-10-2010, 09:13 AM

Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday Dear MJ
Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuuuuuu!!
And here's to many more happy ones :-)
Was that off key enough lol
CJT I would add what needs to be added to make sure it is 12.5" unfinished.
Hugs
April
Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by cjt_mama
Ok, minor dilemma. I was finishing up a block today and somehow (by the means of a really angry quilting god!) I ended up 12 inches square rather than 12.5... Blah!! What are peoples thoughts on this? Should I add the 3/4 in strips to square it up to 12.5 or....?????
If you ended up with a perfect 12 inch square then there's something not so scant about your 1/4 inch seams and/or your pressing is not quite as effective as it might be....possibly even an additional problem with measuring/cutting being undersized by the width of the line on your ruler. Sad to say, but all those slight unders/overs are hard to notice until you get to the final measurement. Not knowing which block you made, I don't know how many pieces...how many opportunities there are for these types of booboos to accumulate. Oh, also, using multiple rulers can be a source of error...mixing brands that use different width markings and or different slippage. Rotary cutting done with the blade angled rather than perpendicular to the ruler is yet another step in the piecing process that can result in loss/gain of a thread or two. Even the size of the piecing thread can effect outcomes. Perhaps the block you chose would benefit from some open seam pressing to lessen the loss. Believe me, I'm all about creative ways to cover booboos and I am delighted to the max that rarely will anyone spot the goofs in a finished quilt. However, I have been blessed with the friendship and tutelage of one inhumanly-perfect piecer...truly amazing woman too... and though I don't always practice what I've been taught, I am supposed to share what I've been given. Everyone can improve...even the best...erring is an opportunity for learning and/or remembering. A bit more concentration and time just may be the key that opens the door to our personal trophy room...where we go when we're really proud of the work we've done...that place beyond satisfied. All of that to say this...imho, a swap is a great way to learn, stretch, practice, improve....it's GREAT because it happens to be the most funnest way (yes, I said that) to do all that...and you get to give and receive from friends you haven't met...blocks will be made... and relationships will develop and grow... IT'S ALL GOOD. I'm grateful for the chance to join you all in this swapping.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:31 AM

As I said in a PM, If mine is one that is not perfect that's ok. Don't add a border because I"d probably want to add 1" on 2 sides instead. My quilt will be layed out in more of a hodge-podge, patchwork fashion, without exact rows. Don't worry!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Gigix12
Hi everyone in this swap. I am Gigix12 (Lori Hovey). I have sent out all my fabric but an emergency has come up and I will be in Tucson and back home by February 1. I promise I will get all your squares done by April 10th..but just bear (bare) with me.
I am taking the 3 fabrics I have received with me and while waiting for my son to recover from his surgery will get them done and the rest when I return.

God Bless and Happy Quilting. This swap is so much fun. It is mind boggling picking matching fabrics and choosing blocks to feature your fabric.

Hugs, Gigix12
Have a safe trip and hope your son is ok. We have lots of time-don't sweat! Just take care of your son and you.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:29 AM

Got home exhausted last night after a long wine event and couldn't wait to get to the mail box! Ohhhh and there were more squishies! Yea! and double yea!!!! Girls I have to say my husband is even getting excited. As soon as we enter the drive way and stop at the mail box all the way to the house he can't wait to hear how many I got today! So I received:
oatw13
SaraSewing
anitariddle
buddy'smom
LovingIzabella

If you can't use my scraps you can send them back-if they are big enough to use. I'll let you decide.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Happy Happy Birthday purplebirthdaygirl. Hope it's a fabulous one!

I got two more squishies today. I love opening the envelopes to see if I already have fabric to work with it or if I have to go shopping. So far, I can match.

Here is a pic of my fabrics that went out.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-65656.jpe   attachment-65657.jpe  
Old 01-10-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by blueribbontoes
Mona, are there any colors you would like to go with the pretty green you sent?
nope, you can add whatever you like
Old 01-10-2010, 12:51 PM

I had a minor misunderstanding with one of my blocks and to spite me it only came out at 12 1/4 -- so I made another the right size and am sending them both back. Purplemem, if you can use the smaller one, we call that "langniappe" down here in the south (meaning "something extra"). If not, you got an orphan to deal with.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:53 PM

Uh - good thing you didn't want your scraps back, Purplemem.