Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang Friendship Swap 2.0  Sign-Ups Closed.-Please Read my Notes Pg 136 & 137 >

Boomerang Friendship Swap 2.0 Sign-Ups Closed.-Please Read my Notes Pg 136 & 137

Boomerang Friendship Swap 2.0 Sign-Ups Closed.-Please Read my Notes Pg 136 & 137

Old 04-07-2010, 04:06 AM

April, I'm going to pm you a different e-mail address this one I use all the time I don't have 100% access to.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:29 AM

I got a squishie!! I got a squishie!! Laa la, la laa laa! :D:D:D:D

Jen, you are the best. Loving your fabric. I have too many ideas already, for just the one F8! lol

Mine are all packed and ready to go out... April, where's the spreadsheet, come on already!!! :D ;)

Kerstin
(jumpingupjumpingdownjumpingupjumping down...)
Old 04-07-2010, 05:30 AM

Lovely fabrics, I like them all. Sooo looking forward to this!! :D:D

K
(jumpingsomemore...)
Old 04-07-2010, 05:32 AM

I have a serious question. I just read on the boards a thread about fabrics from Walmart. All the fabrics but one that I'm sending out for this swap are from Walmart. Does anyone have an issue with that?

What about using fabrics purchased at Walmart in the block? I have some additional sets purchased from Walmart (hand dyed batiks, etc) ... that I had planned on using. Will anyone have an issue with that? I have planned to also purchase as needed fabric from Joann's and my local quilt shop for this swap.

Any issues/suggestions? Thanks (sorry to be such a pain)
Old 04-07-2010, 06:52 AM

Walmart stuff is ok with me. I'd have to get a 2nd mortgage on the house if I dealt only with Quilt Shop fabrics.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by oatw13
Originally Posted by KBunn
Ok.....so I have thirty six different fabrics washed, pressed, and almost all cut! I am just as excited for this round as I was for the first!
That sounds so fun! I think I will have to do that next time! lol
I already have my fabrics cut for this time. These are pretty tame for me. I think they are almost all florals (which I rarely use)!

I have my envelopes almost ready to go.

As for postage, I would recommend taking a few to the post office to the counter and have them let you know the correct postage. If your envelopes don't fit through the hole in their special card, the postage is higher. This will save you from having some delivered postage due. :)
Another thought on this point: Make sure you fold your fabric so it fits the size of the envelope as closely as possible. That way, you will have less bulk, thereby making the 1 oz. rate. You just want to make sure you don't go beyond the 1/4" thickness to avoid the higher rate.

Another note on US Mail: on their website (usps.com), you can find a spot for current mailing rates and requirements. I find this VERY helpful, as I work in a law office and we mail stuff all the time. Our postage meter is helpful, too, in that it can tell me when something is too heavy to mail as a standard envelope (4.4 oz. max) and must be mailed as a "large flat".

I have also discovered that sometimes a block folds too thickly to make that 1/4" max. for the $0.44 rate in a standard envelope. If you are concerned that your regular envelope will be too thick, buy the 6"x9" envelopes ... they are considered NOT to be large-size, so you will get the regular rate on those.

Have fun with this swap, all you newbies. It really is fun!!!

Odessa
Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 AM

Robin: I was the very fortunate recipient of Izzy's first block, a 9-patch, in Boomerang 1.0 and I absolutely LOVE it! She did a wonderful job, and I intend to have a special place for it in my quilt so, yes, by all means, do 9-patches if that is your comfort zone!

Muriel: I work full time AND run my own wedding cake business on the side, but what I found to be helpful is spend time in the evenings while I am watching TV to select companion fabrics/patterns for each F8 I received, clip them together with bulldog clips, and put together into a plastic bin just for Boomerang. Then on other nights, I just spend time pressing and cutting fabric, again clipping the pieces to the pattern and putting into the bin. Finally, when I have sewing time, I can just grab a clip and the pattern, pre-cut pieces and envelope with the excess fabric (and sender's name/address) is all right there so I can sew up a storm when the time is right.

[As an aside, I am likely one of the last holdouts on completing 1.0 as when I signed up I forgot about this time of year being competition season for my children (they are musically inclined and get involved in everything, so most of our weekends are on the road @ competitions, etc.). I think I've got around half yet to sew, but I intend to get them done this weekend so they can get into the mail. Some of the fabrics just would not cooperate with my brain cells and tell me what they wanted to be!]

Hopefully this will help both of you, too. Welcome and have fun.

Odessa
Old 04-07-2010, 08:31 AM

Robin,
Never fear where you buy your fabrics when swapping in this swap. The only thing we generally ask is to put your hand behind the fabric. If you can see your hand through it it is not going to hold up long term. I have purchased great fabrics from Wal-Mart, JoAnns and even LQS but everyone has different budgets and different availability based on where they live so please if Wal-mart fabric is what you have than that is what you use and do not feel bad for doing so!
Odessa I am with you luv! I have about 8 more to do I think and a few Quilt Bee blocks for March. Fell a little behind with all of Izabella's medical stuff in March!
Hugs
April
Old 04-07-2010, 01:36 PM

Robin,
I love 9 patch blocks! As for your fabrics, they look great! Who cares where they come from? As long as you put a bit of yourself into every block you make no one will know where the fabric came from. Your effort will show through!

I have my envelopes all ready to go. Just waiting on labels so I know where to send them....
Old 04-07-2010, 01:41 PM

Hey Robin - no probs at all with the fabric!! Looking forward to it. :)