Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Christmas Ornament Swap 2014 >

Christmas Ornament Swap 2014

Christmas Ornament Swap 2014

Old 10-25-2014, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

I hate black friday, but i was in retail for years and years. that will keep a person home, Or,l ike in my case, finish all your shopping early. once friday hit, we worked straight thru till christmas eve at 9pm. Didn't have time for anything but work, about 16 hrs a day Boy, i'm glad those days are over.
My son has over 50 nutcrackers. the really expensive ones all over $150. I said he was a collector. all beautiful ones.
Steinbach's and such. I love them all. the smallest is about 3" the tallest is King Midas at 28" all dolled up. can't wait to put them up.

Last edited by lynnie; 10-25-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:58 PM

Well two more ornaments finished and ready to be sent to their new homes. Now just to finish up those extras.

Lynnie, I used to work retail also. I remember all those hours and no time for anything else. It did however make for really nice paychecks for if you managed to steal an hour or two to do your own Christmas shopping.

I also remember the Wish Book, used to do the same thing. Go through and mark those pages for your wish list.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:16 AM

Gosh JuneBillie, I had forgotten all about looking through the Wish Book. At our house, it was a Christmas edition of the Sears catalog; don't know if there were others.

In the 60s one of our local banks with multiple branches would set up mechanical Christmas displays in their windows. They's rotate from year-to-year throughout the branches, but one evening before Christmas we'd drive around and see them all. I can remember a kitchen scene with cookie baking going on, and a north pole scene with Santa's reindeer poking their heads out of their stalls. Can't recall another off-hand. I sure wish there was video of those. They were really well done and of course, absolutely mesmerized my brother and me.

Here's a new question: What's the best Christmas gift you ever received?
Old 10-26-2014, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

It's really not fair to say this, but there are three best Christmas Gifts. First is the gift from Jesus, the second is my son, who was born on December 21st, and years later, my husband whose birthday is December 25th. (my second marriage).

The other type gifts I remember being so excited about getting were a blue typewriter that really worked, and a skinny portable light weight hair dryer as a young teen with the hose and cap that fit back into it when finished. We are talking in the 60's.

Almost forgot to add another question.

What article of clothing do you remember getting for Christmas?

I remember a fern green knit dress with nice button embellishments on it and other details with the drop waist line. It was long sleeve for winter wearing. I loved it.

Last edited by JuneBillie; 10-26-2014 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Wanted to add
Old 10-26-2014, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

Good morning...ooops almost noon. When i was 16 my sister got me some tiger striped footed p.j.'s this also was the 60's. I loved them.i also remember getting a hair dryer with the bonnetand hose your talking about i think i was 15 then. My very best present was when i was about 6 or 7 i got a big 72 piece box of crayola crayons. Wow it had every color and even a sharpener on the back of the box. I also got 4 coloring books with them. I was so excited. I guess that probably started my crafting talents. Lol. Well my ornament is done and wrapped and ready to be mailed tomorrow. Have a great day all.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:35 AM

I can honestly say that I am so blessed. I can name at least ten great gifts I have received for Christmas. First of all I will have to say the first is Jesus. The second is my DH, born on the 18th of Dec. The rest were a DVD player, my Dad got it for me and DH one year knowing we couldnt afford one. That was back when they still cost a fortune. My DH has given me alot, the most memorable are my own hunting rifle, a WVU coat, and my storage chest I storage fabrics in. Lastly I can not leave out my first sewing machine that my in laws got me. Still have it, I use that one to teach my kids and their friends on.

The article of clothing I remember is a pair of swatch shorts that I bugged my parents for almost a year about. For those of you that dont know what Swatch is, it was a brand of watches back in my teens year. They also had novelty clothing. Loved those shorts and wore them out.

What gift would you like to receive the most now?

I would have to say to be able to spend Christmas with my Dad, he lives 9 hours away and we have not been able to afford to visit them for over 10 years now.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:22 PM

I think i must be getting maudlin in my "old age"....all these sweet Christmas stories are making me tear up. It's kind of wonderful that at Christmas time we all get to take out our inner child and enjoy the magic and not be the least bit embarrassed !!!

If i could have my Christmas wish, it would be that my son and DIL and their new baby (who i haven't seen/held since last May when she was born - they live 1300 miles away) could come and spend Christmas here - then both my kids, and all the grand kids would be here under one roof - even if it could only be for that day. And i don't mean to sound ungrateful -- because i do have my daughter, DSIL and 4 DGDs close by....but still......

All my ornaments are done - just need to get shipping boxes tomorrow.
Hope y'all are having a great weekend.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by JuneBillie View Post
The other type gifts I remember being so excited about getting were a blue typewriter that really worked, and a skinny portable light weight hair dryer as a young teen with the hose and cap that fit back into it when finished. We are talking in the 60's.
Was it the pink one??? I still have one of those, It works great for drying boots.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:53 PM

What is the strangest thing you have received for Christmas?

I have a family that likes gag gifts. Let me set the scene. My Grandfather is an amazing man. He does everything he can to make sure Grandma is happy. For years we had heard Grandma talk about this really expensive charm bracelet. So one Christmas many years ago we all are sitting in the living room and we had finished opening our gifts. My Granddad asked my Uncle to get this box and give it to Grandma. She then looked at him and said "What is this"? He just told her to open it. She did and sat there with this look of complete bewilderment on her face. Granddad then said "I am sorry I couldnt afford the one that you wanted so I hope this will do". Grandma still sat there looking at him and said "Well thats okay, but it still doesnt explain what this is". He then told her it's your charm bracelet. She then got it and showed all of us what was in the box. She held up a piece of green coated wire in the shape of a circle that had washers and nuts strung all around it. To this day she still has her charm bracelet and we all have the memory of the laughter that day.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:03 PM

Teaser time. Are they for you? Are they for her? Are there even this years? Only I know. LOL

Attached Thumbnails orn3.jpeg   orn4.jpeg