Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 114 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS
    I'm about to sew my blocks. I like to make templates and cut fabrics when I do paper piecing - less waste fabric LOL. Here's a picture - I hope!
    how much larger do you cut the piece over what you need to cover that section on the foundation?
    I cut the center blocks 1/4" wider all around. I cut the triangles from a 3-1/2" square on the diagonal - yielding slightly MORE than 1/4" all around. I'll sew one block and square up to make sure it squares to 5". Actually, If I'd been thinking BEFORE cuutting, I would have paper-pieced a sample block first! I hope this doesn't wind up on the 'Silly things I've done - - -' thread :oops:

Banned
    I'm about to sew my blocks. I like to make templates and cut fabrics when I do paper piecing - less waste fabric LOL. Here's a picture - I hope!
    how much larger do you cut the piece over what you need to cover that section on the foundation?
    I cut the center blocks 1/4" wider all around. I cut the triangles from a 3-1/2" square on the diagonal - yielding slightly MORE than 1/4" all around. I'll sew one block and square up to make sure it squares to 5". Actually, If I'd been thinking BEFORE cuutting, I would have paper-pieced a sample block first! I hope this doesn't wind up on the 'Silly things I've done - - -' thread :oops:
    LOL - i can't wait to see it.

i've been wondering about how to be frugal with paper piecing a jane since the waste can amount to double the fabric needed across an entire jane quilt of 220 blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by STAR
    Thanx for the suggestion but I have no idea about dying fabric I have several I am choosing from so i will just pick another, they are all in my stash :oops:
    :?:
    So about the 5" size of the block , the template says that it will measure a 4.5"block. so I need to add another .5"? :?:
    Tea dying is just boiling up some tea, putting it in a nice big container (or a little one if that will help keep the fabric under the water) and dipping your fabric into the tea water. You know how tea or coffee stains when spilled on your white top? Well, that is what happens when tea is used to dye fabric. You can make it very light, just a few dips to knock the bright off the white, or let it soak for a little longer for a deeper anitqued look.
    You could practice on a charm square just to see what you think.
    Some of the white on white fabrics -- the flecks don't take the dye so readily, but, the bright will still be knocked down a bit. I think you will appreciate the technique, and coffee works too - - just a different shade of brown. different tint.

Thanx omak :lol: I may have to try this but not for this swap. I am alreday nervous, this is my first swap!! I'm also excited at the same time :mrgreen:
    So if I were to try this technique it wouldn't wash out? would I dry it in the dryer or on a line? Just wondering

Blog Entries
    Star...think back to when you spilled coffee on your favorite white blouse...you know...we've all done it...Were you able to EVER get it out??? I couldn't ....so I just said I was practicing my coffee dying! :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I get it now!! duh never thought of it that way since I don't drink coffee or tea but I have seen the stains on others :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by STAR
    :lol: :lol: :lol: I get it now!! duh never thought of it that way since I don't drink coffee or tea but I have seen the stains on others :wink:
    :D :D :D HOORAY! It only takes a minute ... if you took one tea bag, you can make a world of difference to any number of fabrics
    I have the coffee spots on most of my fronts to PROVE that it works and NEVER comes out. The depth of your dark will depend on how strong you make the tea/coffee mixture and how long you let the fabric set.
    Obviously, for us coffee drinkers, we don't even let it set there for two seconds - - and you KNOW what we have been doing! LOL :wink:

Power Poster
    Neat idea!

Blog Entries
    I haven't done Hand Applique for many many years so I will try E-10 for a second block. This is becoming very addictive.
    Bettia

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettia
    I haven't done Hand Applique for many many years so I will try E-10 for a second block. This is becoming very addictive.
    Bettia
    it really is, i've been toying with the idea of doing 3 but i won't make that decision until Oct.

a few people are doing the swap to see if they want to join the "Dear Jane Quilt Along" in Jan 2010.

its a good way to determine if tiny blocks are up your alley.

Blog Entries
    LOL - i can't wait to see it.

i've been wondering about how to be frugal with paper piecing a jane since the waste can amount to double the fabric needed across an entire jane quilt of 220 blocks.
    It worked out ok - barely LOL I should have cut the triangles a trifle larger to give myself wiggle room. Yes - this really IS the way to be frugal when paper piecing.

Also, I'm using Nancy - or is it Judy? - Martin's paper piecing method.

Mark your sewing lines as usual, but do it on the UNshiney side of FREEZER PAPER. Then sew one needle width INSIDE each of the lines with an UNthreaded needle. Fold on each sewn line toward the UNshiney side. Begin piecing by placing piece #1 right side up on the SHINEY side and tap your iron in the middle. This will make it stick to the freezer paper. Place piece#2 right side down on piece #1 as usual for paper piecing. Here's the good part: BEFORE sewing, fold the freezer paper back on the sewing line. NOW sew right next to the fold - which is where the drawn line would be if you had not folded the paper. EUREKA - no paper to pick out! Fold the paper back in place. and continue piecing.

This probably sounds confusing, but try it once, and you'll understand. If you've done paper-piecing and hate pulling out paper bits, and the time it takes, this is faster. You can use each freezer paper template many times before it loses its 'stick-um'- so you don't have to have a paper template for every block.

Banned
    i've heard and have seen tutes on this method but haven't tried it yet.

i'll have to give it a try.

Banned
    i've emailed Dear Jane Quilt Labels to the people i have email addresses from.

if you would like them or didn't receive them please PM me your email address and i will send them to you.

I will send you PM!
    Kendra

Blog Entries
    Here is my first block. I hope it is ok. Does it look Christmasy enough? It isn't Christmas fabric but I hope the colors are ok.

I use my cut down method to do these so I used a dark green thread on the circles. Should I match the thread instead of contrasting it so it blends and doesn't show? I contrasted it here so it shows. I like the secondary design it makes. But that is not true to the DJ blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rhonda- I think it looks great! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Very pretty Rhonda! It's Christmassy because of the colors!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Star and Joanne I like the drunkard's path so I thought it was one I could do and not have to figure out much to do it.

Blog Entries
    Rhonda , Love it ! Great Job :lol:
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    Thanks Sharon Just hope I can find time to do all of them! I chose two sets so I am anxious to see what the other one works up as too.

Blog Entries
    Rhonda,
    WOW!!!! Nice job.
    :thumbup:

Great job Rhonda!

Blog Entries
    Thanks I kinda cheated as this is what i do all the time. It is definately in my comfort zone as I use this size and these blocks for making coin purses and checkbook covers. So I am used to this one.
    As Klue said it is right up my alley! I love this design. Every time I see it or use it - it reminds me of crab claws. The red DPs off of the square center look like pincers to me.

Blog Entries
    Be honest.. I want to try two sets for this swap, so I did a practice square of C-1 What do you think ? I know the practice one is not 5 square , it was late I was tired :roll: Just wanted to see if it was doable for me and what everyone thinks.. Is it good enough for the swap ? I am showing you the back , just ignore the thread I didn't want to rethread my machine :?
    Sharon

Sample blocks....

Page 11 of 114 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 61 111 ... LastLast