Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed >

Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Old 10-11-2009, 01:28 PM

Klue- when you get my blocks, would you look closely at them to be sure they are good enough (talent wise) that I would be able to make a DJ worth completing?

I want to make one but have never paper pieced (bought a book but haven't read it) and am taking a class 11/20 at lqs. Hoping this will be enough to get me througn the DJ.

I think the DJ sftware is the cheapest at Joann's. Going to order it soon. Vacationing at DD's but forgot to bring something to work on and thought we were hitting the lqs on Sat., but haven't so far. Getting withdrawals. Tomorrow a.m. is 2 lqs trip. Can't wait! (And hubby is like- what are you buying? What could you possibly need?) Me and a quilt shop, there will be damage. :)

Old 10-11-2009, 02:38 PM

I ordered the Dj software online from Joann's for $37.00. It was regularly $59.00. It came out $41.00 with shipping. Our Joann's store does'nt carry DJ software. Have fun in the LQS!!
Old 10-11-2009, 04:16 PM

I'm going back to the washing of large yardages of fabric. Klue you said you put your fabric in a pillowcase. What is the purpose of the pillowcase?
Old 10-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by okie
I'm going back to the washing of large yardages of fabric. Klue you said you put your fabric in a pillowcase. What is the purpose of the pillowcase?
the pillow case keeps the raw edges from having tons of loose strings.

i snip the corners off the selvage at each end, place it in a pillow case, tie a knot, and toss it in the washing machine.

when its done, i untie the pillow case and toss everything loose into the dryer.

then DH helps me fold the entire length in half selvage to selvage and then we roll it onto a fabric bolt.

then i just cut off what i need, iron it with starch, and use it.

for the jane blocks i've been cutting off 24 inches at a time and then cutting the strips apart.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Barbm
Klue- when you get my blocks, would you look closely at them to be sure they are good enough (talent wise) that I would be able to make a DJ worth completing?

I want to make one but have never paper pieced (bought a book but haven't read it) and am taking a class 11/20 at lqs. Hoping this will be enough to get me througn the DJ.

I think the DJ sftware is the cheapest at Joann's. Going to order it soon. Vacationing at DD's but forgot to bring something to work on and thought we were hitting the lqs on Sat., but haven't so far. Getting withdrawals. Tomorrow a.m. is 2 lqs trip. Can't wait! (And hubby is like- what are you buying? What could you possibly need?) Me and a quilt shop, there will be damage. :)

i got your blocks in the mail yesterday and i've gone over every single block and they are spectacular!!!

you could totally make an entire Jane - these blocks are perfect and you didn't even paper piece them!!!

i would have to paper piece them to get the same results you have, BRAVO!!!!

i say, buy the software and gather your fabric because you're ready to make the Jane - its a milestone quilt that every quilter must make in their lifetime and you're time has come.

have fun shopping at the LQS.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:48 PM

the pillow case keeps the raw edges from having tons of loose strings.

i snip the corners off the selvage at each end, place it in a pillow case, tie a knot, and toss it in the washing machine.

when its done, i untie the pillow case and toss everything loose into the dryer.

then DH helps me fold the entire length in half selvage to selvage and then we roll it onto a fabric bolt.

then i just cut off what i need, iron it with starch, and use it.

for the jane blocks i've been cutting off 24 inches at a time and then cutting the strips apart.
That's what I wanted to know. I have 3 very large groups of fabric to wash so thought I better get started. Thanks
Old 10-12-2009, 10:56 AM

Here's a pic or 2 of my blocks....
Attached Thumbnails attachment-5353.jpe   attachment-5354.jpe  
Old 10-12-2009, 11:00 AM

Barb your blocks are FABULOUS!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

Barb, they are wonderful! Great job on those, I love your fabrics!
Old 10-12-2009, 03:05 PM

barb-love your blocks