Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed >

Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Dear Jane Christmas Block Swap - Closed

Old 08-12-2009, 06:20 AM

Another tip I have heard on paper piecing, especially when using freezer paper (or the much heavier puter paper) ...
using an unthreaded needle, sew along the lines, which will weaken the paper even more so that it will tear out easier.
Another tip that I learned on the tutorial is to fold on all of the lines.
Once you break the surface tension of the paper by either folding or sewing along the lines, then do the paper piecing as usual ... it is much easier to remove ...
There are many old quilts found to still have the paper inside from when quilters were using paper as a base. (and, to think! There was no big deal about being "archival" quality)
Not recommending, but just saying <g> ....
Old 08-12-2009, 06:24 AM

Thanks OMAK I did see that too but punching holes into 18 itty bitty blocks just doesn't appeal to me. Since I do need to get more green fabric I'll grab some freezer paper also and run it through the copier and hopefully that will be easier. The seams were the worst but now I know just cut at least one side or remove before doing. hahaha I didn't think about it till I was going right along.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:11 AM

Reneebobby <g> you have just learned the joy of learning through error.
May all your lessons be as inconsequential as this one!
I am looking at Machine Piecing by Sally Collins, and she makes a good case for looking at the opportunity toward accuracy through every misstep, rather than looking at errors as a judgment against every getting accurate.

I will be eternally grateful for one of my bosses who had a framed quote on the wall of his business:

A mistake is proof that someone was trying to accomplish something.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by omak
I am looking at Machine Piecing by Sally Collins, and she makes a good case for looking at the opportunity toward accuracy through every misstep, rather than looking at errors as a judgment against every getting accurate.

I will be eternally grateful for one of my bosses who had a framed quote on the wall of his business:

'

I love the quote I need to write that done and embroider it.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by reneebobby

'

Well, speaking as the person who can PROVE that I caused the Ethopian famine by myself, I was greatly encouraged by the quote. I never saw the author of it, but I began to get a little more comfortable in my skin, and to not be so harsh on others who make mistakes.
I am one of those people who learns the hard way (in any number of arenas <g>) ... if there are five hundred ways to do something wrong, I will have practiced four hundred and ninety nine before I get it right ... it is a unique learning technique, to say the least ... but, the quote was very encouraging ... I try to share it as often as possible ... glad you liked it <g>
Old 08-12-2009, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by reneebobby

'

Well, speaking as the person who can PROVE that I caused the Ethopian famine by myself, I was greatly encouraged by the quote. I never saw the author of it, but I began to get a little more comfortable in my skin, and to not be so harsh on others who make mistakes.
I am one of those people who learns the hard way (in any number of arenas <g>) ... if there are five hundred ways to do something wrong, I will have practiced four hundred and ninety nine before I get it right ... it is a unique learning technique, to say the least ... but, the quote was very encouraging ... I try to share it as often as possible ... glad you liked it <g>
Now just to find the right oops picture to go with it.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:05 AM

HOw about a little girl in the kitchen with a broken egg on the floor?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:13 AM

Oh good one.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:41 AM

Wow, in the time I've been choosing blocks, things are flying away. I'd like to do B4 and E9 please. I'm excited.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 AM

Ok. I need a tutorial on how to post. Just in cast the last one didn't work ('cause I can't see it), I'd like blocks B4 and E9. Thanks!