Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
December 2016 Postcard Swap >

December 2016 Postcard Swap

December 2016 Postcard Swap

Old 12-17-2016, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

The calendar numbers were cut off an old dish towel. I soaked it in oxiclean and it still looks old. I wanted to piece it in but there wasn't much room for seams. The flowers were cut off a doily. The decor fabric scrap was in a care package from another QB member but it just fit the mix. I get a lot of control with that stupid wire hopping foot. There are needles that come with springs and you might try one of them. I think I either ordered one once or bought it at Joann fabrics. That had pretty good control. For control i need to be able to do the opposite of what they tell you for free motion. I run the machine VERY slow and I move slow. I got a bit jerky since I'm right handed. You do beautiful calligraphy. I think the difference is you can not lift the 'pen' like you do in calligraphy. You have to keep moving or do a lot of start and stop. A lot of it makes a difference with good backing materials. If you want to print calligraphy you would have to go over your same lines to get the curlicues. I have a vintage darning foot for my 401 and it has good fine control. I paid a pile of money for it off eBay but it was worth it. But it isn't here and the little wire hopping foot was so I had to test it. I have had two identical machines side by side and one will work better than another for free motion. I've had two hopping feet that look alike and one is good and one I hate. Go figure. At home, my ugly beater Singer 15-75 does just about everything I want very well. It sews through layers of heavy stuff and it does nice free motion. I souped it up with a fast motor and a pop up pressure bar nut. It took so much cleaning and oiling that it sews nice and fast now. Try to find an old all metal machine that looks like it has been beat nearly to death then breathe it back to life. I have found the machines that have been truly used are the best. I don't know why - they are usually very ugly, very cheap, decals are worn not scrubbed, if stored badly finish can be scuzzy and brown. They can be a lot of work or they can clean up pretty easily, you never can judge how that will go. I have an ugly Singer 99 HC Mercy likes to grab. The wiring was shot and the decals worn and scrubbed. Pin scratches all over the place but she hand cranks real sweet.

Last edited by miriam; 12-17-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:21 AM

I am sorry that I am running late this month. I am working on my swap tonight and will be posting by the 20th. A busy time with preparing for family coming for Christmas and we have also had three trips away this month, only for one and two days but that can be disruptive. I am trying very hard to be organised but I am just not as quick as I used to be with getting everything done.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

Miriam you really are so creative, and I loved reading how you worked on the fabric post card. You are a wiz with restoring those machines you find. You sound like you really enjoy it too. Me and hubby both got a kick out of you saying you souped that one up with a different motor. lol... He said, "she is an engineer too."

Betty J - I know you sure have been so busy with trying to finish all of your creations for family etc. I am sure all is fine.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

JuneBilly, it has a whole amp more juice than original. The motor came off a zz machine which needed more power and didn't go as fast as my Singer 15-75. Only my industrial runs faster so yes it is souped up but no real engineer skills - it was as easy as just bolting a motor on. The foot pressure nut just screws on but has to be adjusted.

I would like to hear how others make their post card, too. What do you use for a machine? How did you come up its your idea? Some times coming up with something is the hardest part. How do you did you layer your post card - I have had a hard time keeping my post cards in the right shape. Mine tended to distort until I got some heavy duty backing stuff. I know Cuppy uses rubber stamps on her business side of her PC. Cookiezenmilk does calligraphy and others do a LOT of hand work. I want to hear how you all came up with what you made. I've experimented a bit with drawing with my sewing machine needle. I have a long ways to go to get it right but I had fun trying and I won't give up if I find the right project.

Last edited by miriam; 12-18-2016 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Betty J View Post
I am sorry that I am running late this month. I am working on my swap tonight and will be posting by the 20th. A busy time with preparing for family coming for Christmas and we have also had three trips away this month, only for one and two days but that can be disruptive. I am trying very hard to be organised but I am just not as quick as I used to be with getting everything done.
No rush! Sounds like an eventful month for you.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:18 PM
Power Poster

Ok if anyone has a race car they need souped up just call Miriam. lol... J/K.

I had a hard time on making my post cards stiff enough for me, but I did one with some glue spread around gently and just a little for over night drying to create a stiffness. It worked well. Everything of coarse was sewn over too after the drying, but it worked so well. Also didn't think my stabalizers was always that great, so I used some craft felt as a layer inside among all the sewing too, and that was sooo nice. Craft felt we all know is stiffer so it worked as a part among parts without making anything too think. I am enjoying experimenting with more layering of even the tiniest strips and pulling out strings if the look fits to give a raveling appearance. It's just so much fun.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:40 AM

Susan, I always use Stiffened craft felt in my postcards and it works well and give a good amount of stiffness. I have used badge master but I still prefer the stiffened felt.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:41 AM

I have my Postcard swap all finished, just have to take a picture and get it ready for posting tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:13 AM

Judith, Thank you so much for posting a picture I swear I posted one but I sure don't see it. Thank you again for the extra goodies :-) Wishing all y'all a wonderful Holiday Season and can't wait to swap again in January
Old 12-19-2016, 10:23 AM

Ladies, It seems I an on the surprise end of some lovely random acts of kindness. I cannot tell you how much this means to me. We have had so many things come happen in the last 6 months that I was heading into the holiday season feeling pretty blue. And then your lovely random acts of kindness started to arrive. Their have been handmade cards, giftcards, fabric, Christmas ornaments.....It is beyond anything I can even comprehend. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your lovely gifts and kind words It means the world to me!