Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall Star Block Swap 12.5 inch

Fall Star Block Swap 12.5 inch

Think of Fall colors (Red, Brown, Orange, Golden Yellow and etc.)

Signups begin on 1 March 2018
    Closing date Midnight May 31st, 2018 (3 Months)

Deadline to have them to me (in my hands) is June 14th, 2018 (2 weeks)

I will swap them and mail them back out to you no later than June 29th, 2018 (2 weeks)

If I do not receive your blocks by the deadline date, I will have no choice but to swap the blocks received from the other swappers, out without you.

Please make sure to read the Quilting board rules.
    QB General Swap Rules:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...-a-t20154.html

The Swap is for sets of (4) Blocks. The limit is 5 sets per swapper. 20 Blocks maximum.

I will trade out all the blocks I receive. Don't forget to make a set for yourself.

Block size is 12 1/2" Sq.

The sets are to be a Star Pattern block. The set can be made with the same color of fabrics or different fabrics can be used, the background needs to be cream colored so that all the different Star Blocks can play nicely together in a quilt.

100 % cotton fabric must be used. Please use good quality cotton fabric, you should not be able to see through your fabric.

Mailing Instructions:

Pm me for my address when you’re ready to Mail.

Make sure your board name is on each block ( you can pin it on, use address labels and stick it on, or you can use a base stitch and stitch it to the block).

Place your finished sets in one Large baggie, make sure to put your address and board name on the outside of the bag in case the package gets damaged or ripped in the mail then the post office can mail your blocks back to you.

Mail your blocks to me in a priority flat rate envelope (you can get this from the post office for free and it will only cost you $7.25 for the postage and the tracking is free) Please use stamps only on the return envelope Or I can provide the return Priority Flat Rate Bubble Package for you. (Metered mail expires.)

Give your package time to get to me please. Make sure to address your return envelope back to yourself. Don't forget to use the proper postage or you can send Money hidden in with your blocks. (Thank you.)

***New***

I have a request. I am requesting that each swapper enclose One extra block in the swap theme. This block can be 6.5 or 9.5 or 12.5 inch square. This is a just in case block. In case the mail messes up and things go awry. If I need them, I will use them. I hate to disappoint anyone. If I don't need them, I will hold a drawing after the swap blocks have been mailed out and everyone has notified me that they have received their Blocks, and whoever wins, I will send them the extra blocks. I will take care of the postage. I do thank you for helping me out.

Now, let's share early fabric pulls, ideas, and blocks and have a little fun.

Hope to see you on our Fall Star Block 12.5 Swap adventure.

Armylady2012
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-16-2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

I'm in!
    I love "stars". Can they be different stars.
    Thanks,
    Linda
    Linda ^i^

Blog Entries
    OOOOHHH Sounds so pretty. I better hope in. I'm overloaded with those colors. Maxie, can you post those star block examples in this thread? I love my churn dashes.

Marcia

I'm in. Can we also use fall leaf pattern fabric. I also have lots of that.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

I am in. Same question as Linda, do we pick what star pattern we want to use or are we using a specific pattern?

Emily

Blog Entries
    I definitely need to start now! Don’t want to use wrong background colors and start over again, so can we verify the color to be used?

I hope the background color intention is not an off-white, pale type of cream, or COC. If it leans more toward a sandy tan, or the color of a mug of hot chocolate, then the whole quilt will look/seem warmer. And if the background is a blender, or small print that looks like a dark neutral, it would give a nice scrappy look for a scrappy sampler.
    Last edited by givio; 02-17-2018 at 07:39 AM.

Another thought would be a blue background (solid, blender, or tone-on-tone) since the blue October sky looks fabulous as a backdrop for nature's warm colored leaves.

Yes, teals, aquas, turquoises blend with autumn colors very well! All secondary colors with browns in the mix are lovely for fall. Another mentioned a night sky for a background, which is a fun idea as well. In order for a block to have an autumn feel, probably there should be a mix of colors, not just one color. For example a block that is yellow (gold) and pink (salmon) won't look like fall, but add in olive greens and browns, then it will. Here is a googled image:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by givio; 02-17-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Blue sky google images:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I played around with scrap fabric today and made these two blocks for practice. I liked the random points on the wonky star.Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1378
Size:  1.76 MB

5Pints I love them both! They look great!!!
    Collector of thimbles, owls and embroidery items.

Beautiful stars. Well done.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

Thanks, Texastam and Libster! I wanted to practice some of the more simple patterns so I can build up my skill and confidence before tackling the harder ones, lol. I really liked some of the stars that Maxie posted but don't think I am quite there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    OOOOHHH Sounds so pretty. I better hope in. I'm overloaded with those colors. Maxie, can you post those star block examples in this thread? I love my churn dashes.

Marcia
    Marcia here you go:

Amish star link
    http://www.quilterscache.com/A/AmishStarBlock.html
    Another star link
    http://www.quilterscache.com/A/AnotherStarBlock.html
    Army Star link
    http://www.quilterscache.com/A/ArmyStarBlock.html
    Brasstown star link
    http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BrasstownStarBlock.html
    Diamond Star link
    http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DiamondStarBlock.html
    Dorothy’s Star link
    http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DorothysStarBlock.html
    Folded Star link
    http://www.quilterscache.com/F/FoldedStarBlock.html
    Four Patch star link
    http://www.quilterscache.com/F/FourPatchStarBlock.html
    Friendship Star link
    http://www.quilterscache.com/F/FriendshipStarBlock.html
    Martha Washington Star
    http://www.quilterscache.com/M/MarthaWashingtonStarBlock.html

These are just some suggestions if you have Star patterns that you like and have used before you can use them, I realize some of these may be a little intimidating to some of our newer quilters. I want this to be a fun and enjoyable swap. As far as the cream color background goes I do like the suggestions from givio in post #7( Sandy tan and the color of hot chocolate).

There was some more star patterns shared in the churn dash swap by Texastam if you want to check them out. I am hoping that we will have a variety of star patterns so that we will have a variety to swap out for the quilts.

If we share what patterns we are going to use then maybe it will help everyone out and we can get a wide variety of blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsenters View Post
    I definitely need to start now! Don’t want to use wrong background colors and start over again, so can we verify the color to be used?
    I liked givio suggestion for sandy tan or the color of hot chocolate I think those will work wonderful with the fall colors

Quote Originally Posted by Lstew2212 View Post
    I'm in. Can we also use fall leaf pattern fabric. I also have lots of that.
    Lstew as long as they are fall colors it should be fine, can you share some fabrics pulls with us.

Quote Originally Posted by 5Pints View Post
    I am in. Same question as Linda, do we pick what star pattern we want to use or are we using a specific pattern?

Emily
    Emily you can use the patterns that is in the post above or if you have some that you have used in the pass that worked well for you then that is fine also, I just want to try to get a wide variety of patterns so we don't have to many of the same pattern in the finished quilts.

Blog Entries
    So before I get too deep in this. What are we using for background material? The WOW seemed to work out well for the Churn Dash. No one had the same one, yet they all went together. We need Maxie to determine 1. WOW, 2. tan blenders, 3. light blue blenders??????

I think it would be too much to ask everyone to buy something that we don't already have. I'm on the fabric moratorium thread. Shop in my stash....shop in my stash...

I like the Dorothy one and the Army Star.

Marcia

Marcia I would hate for anyone to have to shop for fabric so do you have any sandy tan or the color of hot chocolate fabric?

ArmyLady-If you have decided on background colors to be Sandy Tan or Hot Chocolate colored fabric you may want to edit your first post to say that instead of cream so that everyone is on board as they sign up. Just a thought.
    Collector of thimbles, owls and embroidery items.

If everyone wants to use a cream color, that's fine with me. :-)

In a swap sampler quilt often the backgrounds are not the same for every block. Backgrounds look nice with a fabric that is a blender, a solid, a tone on tone, or a small print that reads as one color... Variety can be nice! :-) Anyway, color is interpreted differently by individuals.

The reply box on this page looks cream to me. The post ends up on a background of what looks like dark cream. The 'blog this post, reply, reply with quote' line looks like a very pale tan, and the line with the date on it looks light tan. But my monitor may have way different shades of color than yours! And what I think looks like tan may seem cream to you and vice versa! :-)

Blog Entries
    Name:  20180219_141714_001_resized.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  175.7 KBName:  20180219_141632_resized.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  309.3 KBHere is maybe a reference point. This is a bolt of Moda Marbles which I think reads a little dark or maybe too yellow. I put that pattern cover on for reference but it was sort of shinny and did not come through that well.

I thought every one did real well with WOW as they were all spot on and all different.

Givio, how did you cut those setting triangles?

Marcia

Cream or white on white (WOW)? Sandy? Not sure what that would be. I am not looking forward to buying more fabric and would like to use what I own already.
    Anna Quilts

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast