Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Fat Quarter Swap: March Greens/whites/Creams And a side swap of Ugly Fabrics! >

Fat Quarter Swap: March Greens/whites/Creams And a side swap of Ugly Fabrics!

Fat Quarter Swap: March Greens/whites/Creams And a side swap of Ugly Fabrics!

Old 02-16-2015, 03:52 PM

Sheri- Those quilts are very lovely. I hope you don't mind if I copy the top one for my niece's graduation from college. I had been stumped on a pattern or look for her. I saw this and BAM you hit the nail on the head with this. I just LOVE them both, but the top one is perfect for her in purples.

Thank you so much for posting these beauties! I always love looking at other people's big projects. It is inspiring to me.

Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
So you ladies are so sweet and I think we all understand each other. I knew going into making these quilts that I'd never get full value out of the project. It was a work of joy really. That being said....I even made my own niece buy fabric when she asked me to make her a quilt. I just feel it's important for one to participate partly to appreciate this kind of request. Am I making sense? With that said here are the quilts I made. The children's mother passed away four years ago, unexpectedly. My friend has been their step mom ever since. She does appreciate the feel and meaning of a quilt. She actually just wanted me to make a label to put on a fleece throw for them. "That they can even keep in college." I told her fleece wouldn't last. And I made these. I've never made a log cabin. Or quilted free motion baptist fans. Or a few other firsts these two beauties hold. I'm showing all y'all because I'm so very proud of them. They're both close to 65" square....ish.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:37 PM

Thank you sewnsew for the green fabric swap. I really needed those greens. Thank you for the extra treats.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
love your fabrics ladies! what a treat to see all that has been traded around here.

I have to start with some bad news. I had received a letter today that I need to share part of with you. It seems one of our players here posted a full name of the person who sent to them. NEVER ARE YOU TO POST the persons full name on the board EVER. You can post you received from say Elisabrat or Linda but you cant say I got from Elisabrat aka known as Linda ...... because it puts that's persons name up for a flag if someone does a search for them that they are not interested in having. hackers. Keep it generic on the board so there is safety for everyone here involved. She was extremely upset and quiet frankly furious. just a reminder to respect the privacy of your other players and we will all be happy campers. I am sure it was posted quiet by accident and there was no malice involved. I hope she forgives the writer of her information and that she continues to play with us in the future. Accidents happen but please keep this in mind when you post anything. Thanks!
Brat,
Can the moderator go back and delete the post with the ladies full name? I know the moderators have deleted posts in the past, so I would imagine if you write and let them know which one it is, and how it accidentally mentioned a member's full name, they would delete it.
You might've already done all of that, just a suggestion..
And I know it's already been posted, but I think deleting it would stop it from coming up in future searches. It certainly can't hurt...

I can absolutely see the reasoning behind not wanting your full name posted, and I'm sure the one who posted did it by accident.
Thanks for passing the info on, as it's a good reminder that we need to be careful online.

Regards,
Kif
Old 02-16-2015, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by dfelker View Post
Sheri- Those quilts are very lovely. I hope you don't mind if I copy the top one for my niece's graduation from college. I had been stumped on a pattern or look for her. I saw this and BAM you hit the nail on the head with this. I just LOVE them both, but the top one is perfect for her in purples.

Thank you so much for posting these beauties! I always love looking at other people's big projects. It is inspiring to me.
D, Feel free! It was easy peasy to make. I had three charm packs and the cream yardage. I didn't want to have to buy any more fabric. I kind of converged two quilts I'd seen into one. I didn't have a set size in mind either. Two charm packs for the patchwork side and the third charm pack, each one halved make the side and top. The flowers were just free handed onto a fq, as big as the fq would allow. Oh. I did know where the flowers would lay so I pot a solid charm under that area. (Fourth up and fourth over and on the top inside corner.) any questions?
Old 02-16-2015, 08:11 PM

Sheri, I might copy your flower quilt too. That is just too cute! Can I ask… did you machine your binding onto the front and then stitch it down on the back, or do you have a special foot or something? I've been taught if you are machine binding that you connect it to the back first and then stitch it down on the front, but I dunno… I think the way you did it looks real nice… Howdya do it?
Old 02-16-2015, 08:46 PM

Vitality, I honestly do my binding different every time. I USUALLY sew to the back and turn to the front , not to keep any rule or to go against one, but because I figure if I turn to the front I can control if the front looks good and THAT'S the only side I really care about the binding looking good on. I also usually use a meander decorative stitch but for done odd ball reason THESE TWO I sewed a straight stitch. No reason. I just go with my sewing flow and hope it works. So one picture here shows the flannel log cabin turned to the back with the straight stitch. The other shows a quilt I did last fall, Turned to the front and meandered. I don't know which is right. My preference is sew to back turn to front meander. And.....I usually always cut 3" binding (I love wider binding) AND I usually bind FIRST. I like how they lay because I've squared them after I pin baste them. It has always worked beautifully for me. I'm sure there are more pro quilters than me just dying now at that.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by SheriR; 02-16-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:35 PM

3 inch binding! I'm gonna try it. I like the look of it. What amount of seam allowance do you use when you first attach it then? 1/2"?
Old 02-16-2015, 10:24 PM

Well here go all my un pro Quilty secrets. 3" pressed in half. I sew 1/4-1/2" seam and fold over to the front. I love a stripe binding so I'll sew it on however I'll get the most use out of it. Does that make sense? I'll be binding something in the next week or so. I'll try to take pictures. LoL
Old 02-17-2015, 01:27 AM

SheriR,
It makes perfect sense to me.... I love that last pic with the stripe binding...love, love, love!!!
Kif
Old 02-17-2015, 06:29 AM

I like the wider binding, I'm going to try that on my next one, probably try with a 1/2 in seam. Thanks for all the secrets