Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Hot Air Balloon Swap - Signup Closed Blocks due by Sept 3 >
  • Hot Air Balloon Swap - Signup Closed Blocks due by Sept 3

• Hot Air Balloon Swap - Signup Closed Blocks due by Sept 3

Old 06-06-2010, 06:35 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Judy, thanks for posting your pictures. Your balloons are beautiful! I would love to take a look at the pattern if you really don't mind sharing and it isn't copyrighted.
    Old 06-06-2010, 08:33 PM

Add me to the list! This looks like it will be so much fun and I'm thinking a bright rainbow fabric I have in my stash may be just perfect for the balloons. And I may even have a light blue that will work for the sky...will have to check it out when I get back home.
    Old 06-06-2010, 09:06 PM

I'm glad you guys like my balloons. They have been really fun to make. And they are really easy. Here are the instructions. I hope they are clear. Make sure to note that when looking at the diagram I'm posting it does not include seam allowances but the cuttings instructions do include them. So cut the pieces as I have listed them and you'll end up with a 12-1/2 inch block which will be 12 inches when finished. If you have any problems, or my instructions aren't clear, please let me know. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of gorgeous balloons.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR HOT AIR BALLOON
    Cutting:
    Background Fabric: Two 8-1/2” x 2-1/2” rectangles
    Two 4-1/2” squares
    One 4-1/2” x 2-1/2” rectangle
    Four 2-1/2” squares
    Balloon: One 8-1/2” square
    Basket: One 4-1/2” x 2-1/2” rectangle

NOTE: the diagram does not reflect seam allowances – the cutting instructions do include seam allowances.

Sewing:
    1. On back of 2-1/2” background squares, draw diagonal line. Place squares in the corners of the 8-1/2” balloon block with diagonals lines placed as shown on diagram. Stitch ON the diagonal line. Trim ¼” from stitching line and press.

2. Sew the two 8-1/2” background rectangles to the sides of the balloon block

3. Place the basket rectangle and the background 4-1/2” rectangle right sides together and sew together on the 4-1/2” edge. Press seam towards the dark.

4. Sew the 4-1/2” background blocks to the basket block made in #3. I pressed towards the basket.

5. You now have two pieces, the balloon block and the basket block. Sew these together, making sure that the basket is at the very bottom of the entire block after it has been stitched.

The block should measure 12-1/2 x 12-1/2, which will result in a 12” square block when finished.

On the second picture that I posted, the one with the stripes in it, the balloon is 1” shorter. It is the same width, but I liked the look of it being shorter. If you want to make one that size, the cutting is as follows:

Background Two 7-1/2 x 2-1/2 rectangles
    Two 5-1/2 x 4-1/2” rectangles
    One 4-1/2 x 3-1/2 rectangle
    Four 2-1/2” squares
    Basket: One 4-1/2" x 2-1/2" rectangle
    Balloon: One 8-1/2” x 7-1/2” block – this is if you want a solid balloon. When I pieced the balloon with the stripes, I cut a 2-1/2 x 8-1/2 in rectangle for the top, pieced a row to be 2-1/2” x 8-1/2” for an accent (I made four 2-1/2" squares and sewed them together), and a piece 4-1/2” x 8-1/2” for the bottom of the balloon. Place two background 2-1/2” squares on the 2-1/2” x 8-1/2” piece cut for the balloon top and the other two background squares on the bottom of the 4-1/2” x 8-1/2” piece cut for the balloon bottom. The rest of the instructions remain the same.

After the block was complete, I drew lines from the balloon down to the basket and just did a satin stitch over them for the ropes.

Hot Air Balloon Diagram
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]80676[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-80671.jpe  
    Old 06-07-2010, 03:08 AM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Thank you Judy. I think I can follow this pattern. It is so nice of you to share. :-)
    Old 06-07-2010, 04:28 AM

JudyG - thanks for sharing your pieced pattern.
    Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 AM
    Power Poster

Judy thanks for sharing :thumbup:
    Old 06-09-2010, 03:12 PM

Love the block. I would like the instructions for your balloon. R u going to post on this site or do you want my personal email address?

Sharon(NC)
    Old 06-09-2010, 03:13 PM

it might help if i had gone to the last page for your instructions, the heat must have got to me today. Sorry

Sharon
    Old 06-11-2010, 08:10 AM

I'm in. What a great idea.
    Old 06-11-2010, 08:33 PM

Sorry guys, I'm gonna have to drop. My cousin (who got engaged in a hot air balloon) has asked me to make her a siggy quilt, and doesn't want hot air balloons so there goes that idea.

Hope you have fun without me and I'll be checking this thread for all the great pictures!