Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
International Row Robin - Quilter's Dozen >

International Row Robin - Quilter's Dozen

International Row Robin - Quilter's Dozen

Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 PM

Are we ready to mail tomorrow? I must confess, I don't think I'll make it until Friday. I know we aren't supposed to be late, but sometimes it just takes a little longer than expected. Hope everyone is okay. Please check in and leave a quick update.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:28 AM

Okay, you know my theme is "My Favorite Quilt Square or Pattern".
I'll confess to being late, but wanted to show what I have so far. I love the look of the Cathedral Window, but have wanted to do something easier, uses less fabric and can be finished on the machine. So, after some experimentation, this is what I cam up with. I really like the look, although I'm sure someone will have an idea for an improvement.

I also love pinwheels and after looking at a suggestion from someone about an easier way to make them, I am hooked for life. The center is actually a 3D pinwheel although it really looks a little flat there.

The last is a D9P which is a staple in my sewing. It is so quick and easy and looks much more difficult than it really is - if you pay attention. I saw another version I want to try sometime, but didn't have time this time.

I think the next square will be an Irish Chain and the last will be Flying Geese using my newfound folding method.

Your eyes are not deceiving you, they aren't all squared up at 12.5" but they will be.

Hope you think this is okay. I've never done a quilt quite like this before.

A new kind of cathedral window
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138166[/ATTACH]

Pinwheels
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138167[/ATTACH]

D9P
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138168[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-138161.jpe   attachment-138162.jpe   attachment-138163.jpe  
Old 02-15-2011, 08:44 AM

Just popped in from group 10 and Gwyn your blocks are lovely!
Originally Posted by Gwyn
Okay, you know my theme is "My Favorite Quilt Square or Pattern".
I'll confess to being late, but wanted to show what I have so far. I love the look of the Cathedral Window, but have wanted to do something easier, uses less fabric and can be finished on the machine. So, after some experimentation, this is what I cam up with. I really like the look, although I'm sure someone will have an idea for an improvement.

I also love pinwheels and after looking at a suggestion from someone about an easier way to make them, I am hooked for life. The center is actually a 3D pinwheel although it really looks a little flat there.

The last is a D9P which is a staple in my sewing. It is so quick and easy and looks much more difficult than it really is - if you pay attention. I saw another version I want to try sometime, but didn't have time this time.

I think the next square will be an Irish Chain and the last will be Flying Geese using my newfound folding method.

Your eyes are not deceiving you, they aren't all squared up at 12.5" but they will be.

Hope you think this is okay. I've never done a quilt quite like this before.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

You're not the only one with problems Gwyn. I feel like the horse that has trouble getting out of the shoot.

First I couldn't decide on the blocks. Then the darn things would not behave. I had 12" and 13" so...start over.

Last night, after a lovely Valentine's Dinner, I rushed to get my row done and slipped with my ruler while trimming.

Guess what: I get to ripriprip and then fixfixfix.

grumblegrumble. Why am I such a cottonpickin procrastinator. Aaaaarrrggghhh?! SORRY.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:07 PM

Mad: Take a deep breathe! CherylW also needed a few extra hours so we are trying to mail out by Friday morning. When I read you slipped with the ruler, I had a picture of you cutting off your thumb. Whew, it was only fabric.

I can't even work on mine today because my daughter needed the power cord for my machine at work because she can't find the power cord for her machine. She stopped me mid seam.

So, take a few minutes. Have a cup of tea and clean up your mess. If it was me, I would pick up so new fabric and start over. This will be a wonderful quilt and you want to enjoy it.

Life is good.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:10 PM

Now Hear This:

Although several have had trouble meeting the deadline, this shouldn't become our habit. This project isn't like making the center and then watching what gets added. You can plan your row for the next quilt ahead of time and get it ready around vacation times and holidays.

A day or two either way isn't bad, but when it becomes a week or 2, ...
Old 02-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gwyn
Now Hear This:

Although several have had trouble meeting the deadline, this shouldn't become our habit. This project isn't like making the center and then watching what gets added. You can plan your row for the next quilt ahead of time and get it ready around vacation times and holidays.

A day or two either way isn't bad, but when it becomes a week or 2, ...
It's funny, but I already know what I want to do for the horse row. So no, it's just my own stupid row that's giving me fits.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:38 PM

Me too. I even purchased the fabric. Hope we aren't planning the same thing. That would be weird.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:49 PM

I was out of town last week and found some horse material...so I am ready to do that one. Why can't we do our own???? Hope we all found something different. It will be fun to see as we all add to it! Should have my squares done tomorrow, will post pictures as soon as available.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

HALLELUJA!!! FINALLY 12 1/2" blocks. Not sure why, but they suddenly decided to cooperate. I plan to mail out tomorrow. Red-white-and-blue, as expected.

Can you all hear the heavy sigh of relief?