Jan 2017 I Spy Swap

Old 03-02-2017, 05:27 PM

The cost of shipping in a priority mail package weighing 1 pound* is about $3.61 each way, so a total around $7.50. If you do priority mail, it's double that. The envelope is free, however. If someone wanted to use 1st class and buy their own envelopes, they could save by doing that. They could do that, couldn't they, if they provided a stamped, self addressed envelope with their charms? I believe the shipping time is the same.

That would pay for 2 more 1/2 yards of fabric (I shop the sales).

bkay

* a priority mail package with 140 5" charms (including all the baggies) and a return envelope weighs 15.4 oz.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:31 AM

I went through my stash and found enough to cut 16 sets, so if that's the maximum number, I'm good to go. My fabrics are definitely a wild 'n' crazy mix this time!
Old 03-03-2017, 02:01 PM

The poly envelope offer a great value for shipping - one can use any shipping method by enclosing a self- addressed, stamped envelope. If tracking is not included in the postage, I will not be responsible for the safe shipping, however.

Great that you have enough fabric for 16 sets - and I know how big expenses can rip into our "fun" budgets.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:00 AM

I have all my blocks cut out for the next swap! They are even sorted into little baggies already, and just waiting to be mailed.

I used one of the blocks from the last swap for my Wacky Holiday Postcard swap. As soon as my partner receives her postcard, I'll put a photo of it here. Sometimes a 5" block of a new fabric is just perfect for what you need, even if it's for a non I-spy quilt project.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:33 AM

Does everyone really have 10 new fabrics for each swap? For me, it's not a problem cutting 16 squares from the same fabric. The problem is getting 10 new fabrics each time. I'm hesitating joining because I don't want to receive the same fabrics I've already gotten from people...
Old 03-12-2017, 09:45 AM

I have 10 new fabrics. I've participated in a couple swaps now and have not received repeats from different swaps (however, I received duplicates during a single swap, many more with the January swap than previous one).

I scour the remnants section for small cuts of fabric, as well as the fat quarters section, specifically to find fabrics to swap. I also try to combine great sales with coupons and then buy a 1/4 yard at a time so that I have something to swap. I am making donation quilts for children, so gathering different fabrics isn't an issue currently as I know they will get used. If I run out, I may have to sit out a swap or two.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jannie View Post
This sounds interesting. Would love to see a picture of your quilt.
Hi Jannie - I will try to get two rows or so sewn together this week so you can see the pattern and will post. The pattern inspiration is 2 patch 4 patch from http://stitchintherapy.blogspot.com/...h-4-patch.html
Old 03-12-2017, 11:53 AM

Hey, all -

I just looked in on this thread. Am I reading correctly that a new swap is in process? I may be interested!
Old 03-13-2017, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sleepy Hollow View Post
I'm in! I'll need to see what I have already cut to figure out how many sets of 16 I will send, but it will be at least 10.

Is there a max number of sets you'd like us to stick to?
Up to 16 is fine!
Old 03-13-2017, 03:52 PM

There has not been much of a problem of repeats occurring - unless people send in the same fabric - which I had several repeats in January. Sorting was a real headache with the swap of 16 cuts per fabric. when one can purchase in person, 1/4 or 1/3 of a yard is an easy purchase. Hope you can join us.

Originally Posted by mrshalibut View Post
Does everyone really have 10 new fabrics for each swap? For me, it's not a problem cutting 16 squares from the same fabric. The problem is getting 10 new fabrics each time. I'm hesitating joining because I don't want to receive the same fabrics I've already gotten from people...