Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Jan 2017 I Spy Swap

Jan 2017 I Spy Swap

I am changing up the I Spy Swap, so please read carefully the new info:

1.Please pm me telling me that you want to enter the swap. In the pm please tell me how many sets you want to send, name and address along with board name. I will then send you a pm giving you my mailing address.

2. We will be swapping sets of 16 charm squares, each 5 inch square. You may send more than one set of charms. Each set that you send to me can be cut from the same fabric or a mix of several, if you, say, purchased FQ’s. You should be able to cut 16 five inch squares from around 1/3 yard of fabric depending on the design spacing. If you send more than one set, please use a different fabric for each set. I will divide up the charms randomly and return back to you 16 different charms per set. (If you send several sets, please realize that you might get duplicate charms in return.)
    Squares should be carefully rotary cut and fussy cut when necessary. Keep in mind that your squares could end up in a child's quilt. Select fabrics that will hold up to a lot of love, wear, tears, dragging', cuddlin', washing, and trips through the dryer. Fabrics that fray easily, or are fairly easy to see through are not good candidates for this swap.

Please be advised that fabrics that are not square, squares too wonky or too off grain, squares that are shedding, squares that contain selvages, or those that are not 5" square will be returned unswapped. Be accurate in cutting the 5 inch squares. The novelty design should be good size, not tiny...it needs to be easily recognizable from a distance. Squares that are not fussy cut when needed will be returned unswapped. I will try to go through the baggies a little more closely this time to make sure that proper fabric is sent in. It is aggravating to receive unusable squares in exchange.

4. Place each set of 16 charms in a zip lock baggie. Include your name, address, and QB name on a piece of paper or index card and put it inside the baggies. To help in not sending you back your own fabric, please attach a 1x2" scarp of each fabric to the card or paper. Please put all sets together in a gallon ziplock baggie. It helps me when it comes to sorting.

I will again be using the padded flat rate envelopes and will use Paypal for the shipping so the cost is only $6.10. A label is not necessary. You may send in the cash concealed or you may request my Paypal account in your email. If postage is not included I will have to wait to send your charms back until you send the correct postage.

5. The last day for me to receive the charms is Jan 31, 2017. I will post when I receive your charms. Just let me know by PM if you have any special circumstances or you need more time and we can work it out.

Let’s have tons of fun, and of course you have to follow all the basic rules, found here. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-20154-1.htm
    Last edited by rbwiese; 01-07-2017 at 02:56 PM.
    One day, when I am frayed and strained and drizzle at the end, please someone cut a square and put me in a quilt that I might keep a child comforted.

Winter I Spy Swap

I'm in! I'll need to see what I have already cut to figure out how many sets of 16 I will send, but it will be at least 10.

Is there a max number of sets you'd like us to stick to?
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

I'm in too. The more sets the more chances we have of not getting repeats. If I get repeats I'll just make a memory quilt with them. I'm in for 5 or 6 sets. thanks for accommodating us!

I'm in for at least 3 sets and maybe 4.

I'm in. I bought several 1/3 yard cuts of fabric this morning. I had a gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

What is the maximum number of sets we can send?

Edited to add: Repeats are fine for my purposes. I often make change purses with the squares.

I checked, and I can send 10 sets without having to cut more (but might anyway, to keep prepped for the next round).

Sorry for "special requests"... but, would it be alright if I send a paper with photos of all the fabrics I've included? I'm not sure if I can get a swatch of all my fabrics, since some were done a few month ago and I have already used the scraps.

I'm in. I'll pm when I figure out how many. (One of my favorite fabric warehouses is having a 50% off sale).
    bkay

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bkay View Post
    I'm in. I'll pm when I figure out how many. (One of my favorite fabric warehouses is having a 50% off sale).
    bkay
    I'm in if it's not to late?

Will flannel be ok this time? It's not mentioned in the post either way.

Got some great fabric today at the warehouse sale. The quilting fabric was not 1/2 price, just the decorative fabric. She cut very generously, though. So everyone may be sick of these fabrics before it gets used up.

bkay

Quote Originally Posted by Clmay View Post
    I'm in if it's not to late?
    You're just in time to join us. The fabrics are due to Rweise by Jan 31, which leaves us plenty of time.

bkay

Blog Entries
    I'm in also, deciding on how many sets.
    Will pm you.
    Veronica

Blog Entries
    Does anyone know what the limit is???? I usually send in 10 sets. I think this time I told Rbweise 16.
    Never put off what you can do today, because tomorrow may never come.

Blog Entries
    If Flannel is not allowed, I think we should have a swap of flannel one month. This would break up the monotony.
    Just a suggestion.
    Never put off what you can do today, because tomorrow may never come.

Quote Originally Posted by Clmay View Post
    Does anyone know what the limit is???? I usually send in 10 sets. I think this time I told Rbweise 16.
    I'm.not.sure...I've.got.8.sets.ready.to.go,but.I'd .like.to.send.more.if.it's.allowed.

For.some.reason,my.space.bar.isn't.working.on.this .site!...Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
    I'm.not.sure...I've.got.8.sets.ready.to.go,but.I'd .like.to.send.more.if.it's.allowed.

For.some.reason,my.space.bar.isn't.working.on.this .site!...Weird.
    I have that problem often. If you click "go advanced" under the reply box, it opens a new reply box and the space bar will work. It's a weird glitch.

[QUOTE=bkay;7739714]Will flannel be ok this time? It's not mentioned in the post either way.

Sorry I left it out - we don't use flannel, seersucker, plisse or other fabrics other than 100% cotton quilting fabrics.

I have wanted to share one of my new favorite on-line shops - https://4my3boyz.com/

It is a small retailer that ships promptly, has answered every email I have sent her, and will send as much as a fat quarter. Most fabric is discounted if you buy more, but small quantities are hard to buy online.
    One day, when I am frayed and strained and drizzle at the end, please someone cut a square and put me in a quilt that I might keep a child comforted.

Winter I Spy Swap

.I've.got.8.sets.ready.to.go,but.I'd.like.to.send. more.if.it's.allowed.

I think 10 sets will be a good limit - it will allow the same amount of squares to be swapped as in the last few swaps.

Winter I Spy Swap

Ok - time for an update - I have been "silent" for this past week - had problems with internet. A friend of my son came and felt it was the service into the house. Company came and worked on the line. Somewhere down this path it appears my router got fried. So ordered a new one, sent the wrong item, picked up the correct one at the store and got it up and running last night. Phew!

So............thank you everyone for staying with me! We have some new swappers this go round. I am going to PM some others and see who else might be interested. Hope to have a good group.

Looking forward to getting the squares.

Rena

Winter I Spy Swap

I wanted to send get well wishes to Irene C. of Texas - she entered hospital for one thing and they found pneumonia and some other stuff going on. So hope she is feeling better and can join us again soon!

You can PM me if you would like an address to send her a card!

Rena

Winter I Spy Swap

Maximum number of bags you can swap

Is there a limit of how many bags you can swap? As I understand it, you send a bag of sixteen squares (probably matching, it it doesn't have to). Every bag has to be different than the others. So is there a limit to how many bags you can swap?

My guess is that it depends on how many people participate and how many bags each sends in. The more people who participate and the more bags they send, the less chances of getting our own squares back or getting duplicates. Who knows that answer in advance?

Previously, we sent 8 or 16 bags of squares, each bag has 10 different charms, so we were sending either 10 or 20 different charms to each swap.

Now, we are sending as few as 1 set of (same fabric) charms per participant. If there is a maximum number of charms per participant, what should it be?

This is the 14th. We are still getting participants. Given we don't know the final number of participants, we should set a "guess" number that we think will be the number that we can be sure you will not get your own charms back or get duplicate charms. So far, we have 49 sets of committed fabrics (plus others who have committed but not to a number of bags) from 8 swappers.

Maybe that maximum number of bags is 10, maybe it's 15. However, if you don't mind duplicates or getting back your own charms, you could send more. However, it could become a sorting nightmare. I've never sorted this kind of thing. Maybe we need to set a number and leave it at that so that no one gets duplicates. I don't know, as I've never actually done it.

Thank you Rena for doing this. Given it's not been done before, this one may be challenging.

if I can help, let me now.

bkay

Blog Entries
    Rena, count me in this time.10 bags, will PM you.
    Phylis
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

Welcome to the new swappers who have joined us! I have a few PM's from swappers who are deciding how many sets they want to do. Here are the swappers I have now:

Sleepy Hollow 10
    mjpencinitas 5 or 6
    jannie 3
    clmay
    Catherine A 4
    bkay
    Veronica 8
    sunrise450 10

Let me know if I need corrections to this list!

Winter I Spy Swap

Rena, I apologize for my last post. I didn't see the post where you set 10 as a limit. So, I was still trying to figure out what the limit was.

I will do 10.

bkay

Want to do 5 sets (sent pm too).
    Michelle

May your bobbin always be full! ~Author Unknown

In for 10 sets. Didn't see my name on the list. I'll PM you to be sure.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast