July Postcard Swap

Old 07-12-2016, 05:03 AM

Good morning! I didn't get a lot done yesterday so hopefully today I will.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:37 AM

I have my FPC ready to mail to LindaC in Ireland. Will mail by Friday. I will post on the board and PM LindaC and Judith1005.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:32 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553829[/ATTACH]

Happy day! I got my postcard in my first postcard swap, ever. So cute. Gonna make it a magnet for the fridge so everyone can see it! So much detail & skill. I hope my second swap I improve on my card making skills. I did learn a lot but experience is the best teacher. I would love to get into a place where I could have some made ahead to send to my grands, all 12 of them and maybe I'll make one for my great granddaughter who turns one in a month.

Thank you, Judith for such a beautiful card to brighten my day. The buttons, embroidery & bunny, such detailed work! I love the pennant! I thought about a pennant but didn't know how to pull it off, now I have a perfect example! And thanks for the list giving the schedule. I need think ahead time & still don't quite know why I signed up 1 1/2 hrs before the deadline but am glad I did. I promise to do better next time.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 07-12-2016, 01:42 PM

Gosh Judith that's a beautiful card -
I hope to finish my FPC today - and send it out tomorrow - now comes the hard part for me, attaching fabric to card.
I like to hand-sew and applique but then get boxed into a corner with what to do when.
However these hurdles are also fun.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:47 PM

Hi Pat, I am glad you like the card I mailed off to you. Thank you for posting a photo and letting me know you received. I will mark my list. I am sure your postcard is going to be great. I hope you enjoy making them and continue with us for awhile. Remember, you do have around 30 days to create once I post the sign ups. I usually try to post the signups around the 20th of the month.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by K-Roll View Post
Gosh Judith that's a beautiful card -
I hope to finish my FPC today - and send it out tomorrow - now comes the hard part for me, attaching fabric to card.
I like to hand-sew and applique but then get boxed into a corner with what to do when.
However these hurdles are also fun.
Hi K-Roll, I always applique and sew before I add my peltex and backing. (Most of the time.) There has been a time or two that I have forgotten. I always stabilize my fabric with a medium weight stabilizer to make the card a little stiffer and easier to applique and sew or embroider on. Then, I iron on my peltex. (Carefully, so as not to burn any embelishments.) Then, I will sew my card to the backing fabric. This is just my way, not the only way. Maybe some of my tips can help you.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
Hi K-Roll, I always applique and sew before I add my peltex and backing. (Most of the time.) There has been a time or two that I have forgotten. I always stabilize my fabric with a medium weight stabilizer to make the card a little stiffer and easier to applique and sew or embroider on. Then, I iron on my peltex. (Carefully, so as not to burn any embelishments.) Then, I will sew my card to the backing fabric. This is just my way, not the only way. Maybe some of my tips can help you.
I thought yours felt stiffer than mine! I will remember stabilizer the next time.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by GramE View Post
I thought yours felt stiffer than mine! I will remember stabilizer the next time.
Hi Pat, I used Posterboard once when I was out of Peltex. I just cut it a tiny bit smaller so I didn't sew through it. I sewed 3 sides, slid in the posterboard and then finished up the 4th side. I don't know how well it will hold up if it gets wet though. Although, posterboard is not what it used to be. It's a little on the thin side now. It did do the job though.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:04 PM

I always use stiffened felt in my postcards and I find that it works well. It is also quite inexpensive compared to Peltex. I believe it would be available at most craft stores.
http://www.joann.com/stiffened-9inx1...prd821383.html
This is a link to a Joann store for a pack of 12 sheets....9 x 12 inches......$10.99. I am sure that you can also purchase by the sheet also at some stores.
I cut the felt just slightly smaller than the card and insert it before the back is sewn on. As I mostly machine embroider mine it is still very much the same process as Judith mentioned.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:14 PM

Oh Betty, thanks for the reminder on the stiffened felt. I keep forgetting about it. It's great stuff also!