July Postcard Swap

Old 07-01-2016, 03:27 PM

I'm going to start you all off with a little inspiration. This is NOT the postcard I will be sending my partner. It's actually a "Glamping" card that didn't quite come out the way I expected. I call it "Monet's Glamping Garden". lol (It's the fabrics.) But, it needs something. I think I know what, but will have to keep searching for just the right finishing touch.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:34 PM

To anybody new in the swap, here is a link to a list of all the themes for the rest of the year. For those who like to work ahead or just have unbelievably busy schedules. Hopefully this will help you to keep swapping with us.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/2...es-b12881.html
Old 07-01-2016, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I absolutely hate out houses ever since I sat on the hornet nest just under the rim. I don't like blue water hooters either ever since I tore up my nose on a door hook in the middle of the night - don't ask... 7 stitches... BUT my husband and youngest kid LOVE camping. We struck a deal. I agreed to camp if I could use a chamber pot and he would cook - then I would sleep in a tent but not on the ground... I still have to plan out all the meals and usually wash the dishes.

One time we were camped at an event where there were school kids. We had just eaten breakfast when bus loads of kids descended on us. I was washing dishes when a couple kids came along and wanted to know what I was doing. They had never washed dishes. Well, I sure didn't let that opportunity pass me by...
My parents camped up until about 5 years ago. They just would tent camp. I think their tent wore out one night in the rain and that was the end. Did I mention they are 90? My sister and I slept out in the back yard in an improvised tent once. I woke up kind of itchy and looked over at her just laying there snoring with her mouth hanging open and ants trying to find a new home... Ew... Between hornets and ants I pretty much wrote off camping for years.
It has been over 20 years since my hubby and I started camping together. I have learned a lot. There are lots of ways to camp. I have never gone glamping but I have boondoggled a few times. That Is one of my favorite types of camping unless there is a shoot out or air traffic too close. Just pile in the van and pick a direction.

I think the most memorable camping trips were when everything went wrong.
Omgoodness, you win for worst camping experiences ever!! I can honestly say, I don't have any stories that can hold a candle to that. For which I am very very glad!
Old 07-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

One Memorial Day we camped. It rained most of the weekend. There was water and mud everywhere. People were having a blast. One guy had dug a ditch around his tent and he had little boats in the ditch. Then he had boards over the ditch for a bridge. He made signs that said "mud bath 5 cents" and "Water Park" the guy sat on his chair with his feet in the water and greeted anybody that waded by. There was another grinning old man baby sitting a little girl. She was wallowing in a big mud puddle. When her mother came by the look on her face was priceless. She pulled that kid up out of the mud and took her to hOse her off. When the mom dragged the kid off the old man said, "don't worry she'll be back." She was.

Then there was the time I tried to cook at a historic event all dressed up pioneer... I lit up a huge fire big no no... Then I put a Dutch oven with a little grease on that fire - maybe too much grease... Well, I thought I should move it since it was a bit too hot looking. Some of that grease spilled and flames shot up. Then I looked up and there was a guy with one of those $60,000 camera sighting me in from 100 yards away. So I thought I better make the best of my supper. I pulled the oven off and raked out the fire to be more manageable. I don't remember any thing about that food. When I looked up the guy with the camera and the note pad was about 4 feet away. Smoke makes my eyes water and my nose run. So I turned and dabbed what I could off my face with my apron. Ok presentable maybe... Some woman was there wanting to interview me for the paper. She asked questions and I answered. Then she asked if I would make a statement. So with tears in my eyes and snot running down my nose I sniffed and said, "I don't know how our foremothers stayed alive" she wrote that down. When I went to the bathroom I caught a look at myself. I was covered in soot with traces of tears and smudges. I was never so thankful for the tornado that went through and shut the camp down and the newspaper printed about the tornado instead of documenting how bad a cook.... If you camp you have to have a sense of humor.

I could continue but I don't want to hog up space

Last edited by miriam; 07-01-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:28 AM

Miriam that story is a hoot! Tornado?..my great fear since childhood & the Wizard of Oz. I am terrified of thunderstorms.

My DH informed me last spring that he was done with camping. I am sad about that: not for any reason except he said it's too much work. Our first trip together was in 1978 when we backpacked into Yosemite high country for a week. We missed the turnoff for the trail right at the beginning...and didn't realize it...so with 50 lbs on our backs we climbed the vertical steps/ladder, really, next to Vernal Falls that were hewn out of rock and boulders
...when we got to the top I sat down and cried my eyes out thinking we'd have to climb back down in a few days. On the way out we found the right trail. And there was an earthquake one morning while we were brushing our teeth...funny because we had discussed where to shelter in case that happened...and had picked out a huge rectangular boulder as big as a house...just remember flying down the hillside to "our" boulder with a mouthful of toothpaste.

I hope DH changes his mind. On the last camping trip in the Sierra I bought a kit and made a pine needle basket, then a lid for it which wasn't in the instructions, later a basket out of sweetgrass. My youngest daughter joined us, saw me working on the basket & said "what? Is this the 1840s?"

Such good times on mother earth. I've made a design...conception is a piece off cake. Execution - now there's the "ache"( for me!)
Old 07-02-2016, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

My design conception isn't one tiny bit like the product. It just happened. I'm thinking it is so off the wall it isn't funny. But I had fun playing with the "computer" sewing machine. I had to use a type writer like that for work one time. It was a mag card machine. It was very unforgiving. If you made a mistake you had to do all of it over... Same with this turkey. With this old computer machine you punch in the number for the stitch, punch M and then if you want something else you punch in its code and M then on and on but you don't have any review or corrections. You just have to sew to see if it did what you want. If something happens in the middle you have to run it through to the end and start over. I had a lot of that. I should do some more messing with it to see what else I can make it do. I'm sure newer machines are easier to convince to do something.

Mercy, my grand daughter is here trying to put her concepts into reality. I told her she might have to simplify just a it to get it on a post card. She has been messing with that old computerized machine and the 1950s Phoenix. She has been having fits because she only knows one speed - fast. At my house she uses an old beat up Singer 99 hand crank. She loves it but she isn't over there. Lovie was here yesterday - she just knocked off a couple post cards like a pro... grrrr.

Tornado - it was a pre 1840s camp - we evacuated. We've been through some 80 mph winds and never had the tent go down.

Last edited by miriam; 07-02-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:16 AM

Hello Swappers, I hope yall had a wonderful and safe 4th of July. I'm just checking in. I have finished my postcard for my partner. But, I will probably mail off on Friday. I will firm that up with my partner as well. I hope you are having a good time with the theme this month. Camping and summer go hand in hand. Do any of you still do any camping?
Old 07-06-2016, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

I would still be camping if I wasn't taking care of two 90 year old parents. When I have time away, we do go camping.
My post card is nearly ready to go. I did think of something it "needs" so I have to do that thEn I have to get out of here to the post office.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:00 PM

made contact with my partner LindaC through PM just waiting to hear from her what she would prefer camping or glamping.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:00 PM

Hi ladies, it's up to you, but, you don't have to ask preferences if you don't want to on this theme. I'm sure your partners are willing to receive either. But, it is up to you.

Armylady, I think that LindaC said she would be on holiday. I don't remember the dates she was going to be gone.