Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
May Secret Pal Swap Sign Up Closed 5-2-11 >

May Secret Pal Swap Sign Up Closed 5-2-11

May Secret Pal Swap Sign Up Closed 5-2-11

Old 05-24-2011, 03:33 AM

Gday and great packages arriving, Where ever the bench is i am still there. I have a suggestion for next month, that might or might not help in the knowing who is receiving. That is once you have received your secret pal name, send them a letter at the beginning telling them that they have a special gift on the way. It doesn't have to say who it is from other than Secret Pal, you could put a few hints in there, it is just to let them know that they will be receiving something. Just a suggestion. :)
Old 05-24-2011, 03:40 AM

I was thinking about the same thing last night. This is an awesome idea!
Old 05-24-2011, 04:27 AM

just curious, how do you think this will impact the swap in a different way? being a participate already alerts one to know they have a package coming every month they chose to join in.

if the general problem is that participates are not sending packages timely or not sending them at all or are not acknowledging they have received them, i wonder if participates would even find the time to send an additional note to their SP they have a package coming.

i know that i like the convenience to post my hints or info on the board and i am not sure if i would want to find additional time to write a separate note to mail to my SP. with the invention of email & text messages, i for one do not write letters anymore. i would need to buy envelopes, stamps, note paper.... phew! too much for me to think about. :shock:

Originally Posted by pennyj123
Gday and great packages arriving, Where ever the bench is i am still there. I have a suggestion for next month, that might or might not help in the knowing who is receiving. That is once you have received your secret pal name, send them a letter at the beginning telling them that they have a special gift on the way. It doesn't have to say who it is from other than Secret Pal, you could put a few hints in there, it is just to let them know that they will be receiving something. Just a suggestion. :)
Old 05-24-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty
just curious, how do you think this will impact the swap in a different way? being a participate already alerts one to know they have a package coming every month they chose to join in.

if the general problem is that participates are not sending packages timely or not sending them at all or are not acknowledging they have received them, i wonder if participates would even find the time to send an additional note to their SP they have a package coming.

i know that i like the convenience to post my hints or info on the board and i am not sure if i would want to find additional time to write a separate note to mail to my SP. with the invention of email & text messages, i for one do not write letters anymore. i would need to buy envelopes, stamps, note paper.... phew! too much for me to think about. :shock:

I am sure there is a fair few more people thinking the same way as yourself, that is ok, if you would prefer to email/post on the QB, although doing it that way you do end up giving the element of surprise away. Unless!! you have a friend send the msg for you. There always is a way round it. :)
Old 05-24-2011, 05:36 AM

[quote=Havplenty]just curious, how do you think this will impact the swap in a different way? being a participate already alerts one to know they have a package coming every month they chose to join in.

Sorry, apparently I deleted part of the quote.

I check the Swap thread several times daily just to see who has posted. Once I receive my SP's name, I usually have to plan a shopping trip to select fabrics and other items especially for the current month's SP. Living in an area where there are miles to travel to do the shopping, this specific shopping must be combined with other trips which sometimes means waiting for a check.

Not everyone lives with the same circumstances and sometimes delays in sending the package are more a matter of necessity rather than lack of consideration. We have all joined in the fun of posting clues as to our packages destination. The "Bench" has become a fun destination of sorts. I find it interesting that many are having almost as much fun waiting for packages.

I admire the individuals who are able to get their packages out as soon as they receive their SP's name and information -- that is just not possible for everyone because we all have different circumstances. Unfortunately, there will always be some who will sign up and never actually participate except by being on the receiving end.

It only takes a few minutes to acknowledge receipt of a SP package by posting to the thread, and sending a PM to the sender and to Lori. Posting a photo is always a plus, but there are those who are unable to post photos, this is understandable.

It really does not take that much effort to be courteous to one another.

Unfortunately, there is no easy solution. Lori should not have to send out 67 PM's to find out if a package was delivered. I know last summer I received a PM from Suzanne one month asking if I had received my package and after that I sent a PM to Suzanne and my SP upon receipt of all future packages, followed by a posting with photo to the thread. It takes less than five minutes. Last summer I was totally out of pocket and had access to a computer only once or twice a month and found it necessary to bow our of the Swap for a few months. I so missed that connection to the board, but it was necessary.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:18 AM

I think that this would be a good idea if you mailing international and it goes out late, waiting for fabric or something you ordered special for you secret pal and you know that you are going to be mailing late. I do not think that it can be something that is made into a rule. So few of us receive personal snail mail anymore it would be a fun way to send something for our secret pal so they are not left wondering if they have been forgotten.
Frankly I am shocked at the number of people who mail late and think nothing of it! A day or 2, I can understand, but a week or more? The mail date is not a suggestion of when to mail, it is a DEADLINE. If you are mailing late a pm to me can alert me and no hard feelings, things happen, I know. I can then make a note you are mailing late and let your secret pal know. The people who have pmed me have all had good reasons and I pmed their secret pals and they have understood.
And no, I should not have to send out 67 pms to find out what is going on. I did find out that about 7 people had received their package and did not pm me. This was a new rule this month so I understand. I will not hunt down people who have received their packages next month.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:41 AM

LORI I will send out another SP if you need.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:56 AM

Lori,
I am sorry that you have to go through all the extra work. Like you said, I too understand running a day or two late, or waiting for a special gift to arrive. But honestly, to me, it is all about manners and common courtesy, neither of which you or I or anyone can teach adults on here. I suspect you will always have offenders, and will always have to hunt people down. Did you receive replies from all the PMs that you sent? And is the number of people who haven't received still that high?? It is a shocking number! Again, so so sorry and know that many of us appreciate all the hard work you are doing to keep us swapping.

Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
I think that this would be a good idea if you mailing international and it goes out late, waiting for fabric or something you ordered special for you secret pal and you know that you are going to be mailing late. I do not think that it can be something that is made into a rule. So few of us receive personal snail mail anymore it would be a fun way to send something for our secret pal so they are not left wondering if they have been forgotten.
Frankly I am shocked at the number of people who mail late and think nothing of it! A day or 2, I can understand, but a week or more? The mail date is not a suggestion of when to mail, it is a DEADLINE. If you are mailing late a pm to me can alert me and no hard feelings, things happen, I know. I can then make a note you are mailing late and let your secret pal know. The people who have pmed me have all had good reasons and I pmed their secret pals and they have understood.
And no, I should not have to send out 67 pms to find out what is going on. I did find out that about 7 people had received their package and did not pm me. This was a new rule this month so I understand. I will not hunt down people who have received their packages next month.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:24 AM

My Pal should get her package Friday!!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

There are sure some cute things being made and sent. Havplenty I love the red hat items.I used to be in the local red hats.It is hard to find items for that. You did good. from the other Missouri Mary lol