Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
NEW SWAP!  Disappearing Four Patch quilt blocks! >

NEW SWAP! Disappearing Four Patch quilt blocks!

NEW SWAP! Disappearing Four Patch quilt blocks!

Old 11-21-2013, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Cindy View Post
Missouri Quilts latest magazine has this pattern on it's front page, and there is a tutorial on their website as well.
Isn't it great that there are so many resources for this quilt block. I've even seen the measurements for different sizes of this block. I'll have to look through my 'stuff' and see what I can find.

Yes, it's a good idea for us to post pictures of our blocks. That way, hopefully we can minimize the possibility of duplicate fabrics. If it does happen, never fear. No problem.

Jane
Old 11-21-2013, 11:18 PM

Linda, is your old quilt knotted? It looks more like it's knotted than hand quilted. I can't see the ends of the knot? Are the ends sewn into the batting? It's looks like a very unusual knot...
Old 11-22-2013, 05:02 AM

Default D4P - I Spy for my DGD

Here's a pic of a D4P I-Spy quilt I did for my DGD for her 2nd birthday in October. She loves it.
Attached Thumbnails maci_finished_i_spy.jpg  
Old 11-22-2013, 07:55 AM

Wow Stitch124, I bet that quilt keeps her busy. Great job!

Jane
Old 11-22-2013, 09:38 AM

Stitch 124, I love the colors! Very nice choice of fabric. Thanks for showing that. Lovely. How is it quilted? Following the seams?

Well, math has never been my strong suit. A fat quarter makes a full set of 6 blocks. But a 1/4 yard of fabric cut off the bolt makes 4 blocks. What was I thinking?? (I was thinking I wanted a little extra for the border using a couple of the prints.) :-p But I needed a 1/3 yard. ...Gotta love those fat quarters! :-)
Old 11-22-2013, 04:19 PM

I have to apologize to everyone in this group but I have to drop out. My brother called yesterday and it looks like I will be leaving for Calif. shortly. All arrangements haven't been settled as yet and hope that I will be able to have the holidays here with the rest of my family. My daughter has a job that will travel with her and will allow her to work from my Mom's house so she has said that she is going back with me. As she said, you are going to take care of grandma, she is going to take care of me!
I have an iPod so will be keeping in touch on the board but don't see how I can do any swaps there and don't know when I am returning home. My mom is at the point in her life where she has to have constant help and can't be left alone.
I promised her that I wouldn't let anyone put her in "an old ladies home" (her words not mine).
Old 11-22-2013, 04:29 PM

So sorry to here that, sunrise 450. I certainly understand as I'm sure we all do. We'll certainly miss having you and look forward to having you participate in the future. Take care. Appreciate you letting everyone know.

Blessings,

Jane
Old 11-22-2013, 09:36 PM

Sunrise 450, I'm glad you are a daughter that can do that. My mom had a stroke, was 1/2 paralyzed, in a wheelchair, and needed help all the time. She couldn't go to the bathroom by herself, dress, cut her food, etc. My father was an angel and took care of her himself. It was a difficult experience for me to take care of them both after my father had bypass surgery and grew frail from cancer. My heartfelt best wishes for your strength, endurance, and love with regard to your mother. I think if you keep your promise to her, you will be glad you did.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:32 AM

got my 2nd set of 4 patches sewn last night and today I will recut and put back together. I did not realize how fast they can be.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by givio View Post
Linda, is your old quilt knotted? It looks more like it's knotted than hand quilted. I can't see the ends of the knot? Are the ends sewn into the batting? It's looks like a very unusual knot...
Yes it is tied with yarn. The reason you can't really see the ends is that they have been washed and used so long they have frizzed themselves into little knots. If you look closely tho, you will see that they are there.
This quilt now belongs to my 44 yr old son and it is in kinda sad shape in some areas. The fabric has parted on the seam lines, not that the seams have come unsewn, but the stitching lines have ripped open on the fabric in areas. This has left little strings of fabric that were once the seam margins now flapping in the breeze. LOL.
I am going to do a sturdy repair on it by gluing down the loose fabrics, or perhaps using press-a-seam, first, then doing a good zig-zag stitch over ALL seams to reinforce them. Also, the binding has split open along most of the edges, so I will rebind it, too.
My son loves this quilt which is why it's in such sad shape. He has owned it since he was 18 and loved it well. He calls it his Happy Sombrero quilt. He thought it couldn't be fixed but as a Christmas surprise, I am going to make it usable again.