Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   2014 Quilts For Quilters Swap - Signup has Closed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/2014-quilts-quilters-swap-signup-has-closed-t236825.html)

Gannyrosie 03-26-2014 02:46 AM

Hi all, looks like I"m going to meet my personal deadline of having the top of mamawalsh's quilt made for April to get it on the quilting frame to start the HQ'g. As I stated to her, I had a pattern, but my stupid brain always ventures off and changes it. It will definitely be one of a kind. Can't post pics, sorry, it's a surprise. Off to baking for a wedding this weekend. I opened mouth and volunteer to make the desserts, but she's a special person.

TwinRiverFarm 03-26-2014 03:41 AM

Well, I have plans on sandwiching and basting KHandgood's quilt today, and the quilting should begin this afternoon. I made a test block when I started it, and I want to test-quilt it, as well. I think it will be really pretty, I hope she likes it!

Yosamitesa 03-26-2014 09:48 AM

YEA!!! Y'all are doing great!!! Keep up the good work!

CarolynMT 03-26-2014 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ljdugas31 (Post 6644919)
I am fine with it!! You take all the time you need. I am excited to have it. But I love the mystery of waiting. LOL Can you pm me your address I cant find it ugh.

I sure hope you didnt have any major issues with that storm passing over your area today. We lucked out and got nothing from that storm.....although we all had to go to work :p

Hugs!

I have all the quilting except the snowball center blocks planned, sigh still not sure what I want for that block ;) but by the time it is on my frame I will have it done.

ArizonaKAT 03-27-2014 07:33 AM

AHHHHH! I'm so far behind! I only have half of my logs done. But I have an excuse. I bought a quilting machine from a lady at work and of course I'd never even seen one up close before. So I got it set up and am absolutely doing something wrong. It sewed for a while but now the top thread keeps breaking. I asked the lady about it and she said it's trial and error adjusting the tensions. What does that mean? Anyway I really want to get to be able to use this thing so I can quilt my log on it. August may be coming faster than I think.

Annaquilts 03-27-2014 08:02 AM

Yes you try adjusting it. You will get a feel for it but it would be nice if she would have spend some time with you. It sounds like your top tension is too tight. also put a drop of oil in bobbin with every change of bobbin. congratulations on your new machine!!!!! sounds like fun or atleast once you have your tension figured out.

Originally Posted by ArizonaKAT (Post 6647371)
AHHHHH! I'm so far behind! I only have half of my logs done. But I have an excuse. I bought a quilting machine from a lady at work and of course I'd never even seen one up close before. So I got it set up and am absolutely doing something wrong. It sewed for a while but now the top thread keeps breaking. I asked the lady about it and she said it's trial and error adjusting the tensions. What does that mean? Anyway I really want to get to be able to use this thing so I can quilt my log on it. August may be coming faster than I think.

mumukate 03-27-2014 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by roseirish48 (Post 6644650)
block #7 completed--2 more to go soon as I locate some patterns for them. then to start putting it all together.

Oh, Rose!!! These blocks just keep getting better & better! I saw #6 (aka #5 LOL!) and thought it was my favorite...then came block #7 and I've just decided they're ALL gorgeous!

SO excited - my guild's quilt camp starts tomorrow and I hope to get all your blocks finished so I can take advantage of the really nice design wall they set up so I can audition borders!

I'm so envious of all the people on here who can do their own quilting - I still have to try to get in a "quilting queue" grrrrrrrrrrr! I tried a quilting machine at the Dallas quilt show a couple of weeks ago & it was so much fun but I would be scared to death to try to quilt for real! Even if I did have the talent for it, I don't have the space for a machine! :(

TheMamaHauser 03-27-2014 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by ArizonaKAT (Post 6647371)

Get into youtube and google "tension tutorial" (or some combination of those words) and there is a huge library of videos talking you through what to look for, how to change, and hints in general.

When I first started with my longarm, I had issues with thread snapping too. If you have the fabric pulled too tight between the bars, that will cause issues. Probably it is your top tension that is too tight - that's why it sews for a bit but then snaps.

ljdugas31 03-27-2014 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT (Post 6646578)
I sure hope you didnt have any major issues with that storm passing over your area today. We lucked out and got nothing from that storm.....although we all had to go to work :p

Hugs!

I have all the quilting except the snowball center blocks planned, sigh still not sure what I want for that block ;) but by the time it is on my frame I will have it done.

Well we were lucky no bad weather just windy! Quilt sounds great,cant wait.

Elisabrat 03-28-2014 04:54 AM

Listen to Mama Hauser uh I use her quilting ! so I know her machines work just fine!!! good luck learning on your new machine however that has to be more fun than you can ever imagine! its frustrating but its like something special once you get it you never forget it *unless your me. Its going to be great!

I am going to hit my center running today. I have 18 blocks done. Now to figure out how many I really will need and then position them accordingly. Its so good to get so far! these I think are the final setting blocks then a simple round of white and tada! its done! off to the quilter (either Jan/jaba's or themamahausers) to have it finished up so I can just put the binding on. Its so pretty. I know you will love it tam moo!