Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/2022-2-5-birthday-swap-t317206.html)

ibex94 10-13-2022 02:02 PM

Christmas candies packed and ready to go to post office tomorrow.

Gannyrosie -- great candy leaves!

LogCabin82 10-13-2022 07:31 PM

I've got all my Christmas Candies ready and packed, and out in the mail box they go tomorrow! :)

sewbizgirl 10-14-2022 07:40 AM

mine will go out as soon as I am home... probably Monday the 19th.

JENNR8R 10-14-2022 10:05 AM

Thank You

I've been trying for two days to attach some pictures, but no matter how small I make the attachment, it won't work.

At any rate, I'd like to thank everyone for the wonderful greetings and candies that I received. I keep my candies in a shoe box, and it was half full before my birthday. Now it is completely full! Yay!

I also received the ten fat quarters from djmat. I wish you could see the picture of the beautiful fabrics. I so appreciate the gift djmat and WMUTeach!

Gannyrosie 10-15-2022 07:59 AM

Asking you experienced ladies cause I'm not sure. I've never made a patchwork table cloth before. I make hexies will watching tv, crappy, no real thing in mind. When my oldest was in I asked if she would like it as a table cloth, so that's where I am with it now. I'm just about finished putting the last few hexies, and my question is I don't want it like a quilt, so I'm not thinking batting, but I have some white felt or some flannel sheets that was gifted. What do you recommend as a middle layer? I'll be backing it with a cotton sheet if that helps. Thanks for any input.

ibex94 10-15-2022 10:28 AM

Gannyrosie, the felt will give it a bit of weight so it might not be as washable as a tablecloth should be. How are you going to keep the backing to the top? You may have to do some quilting just to keep the back and top together. A flannel backing may be all you really need. But I defer to the others in the board who have dealt with such things much more. Cheers!

ibex94 10-15-2022 10:29 AM

Here is a cut postage stamp quilt combo I saw today from candies: http://www.joscountryjunction.com/qu...-stamp-quilts/

My Christmas candies are officially posted! Dropped them at the post office this morning. Let's see how fast they get where they are supposed to be. :-) Have a great weekend everyone!

sewbizgirl 10-16-2022 03:11 PM

I'm home! And my Christmas candies are all packaged and ready to go to the post office tomorrow.

Gannyrosie 10-17-2022 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by ibex94 (Post 8571259)
Gannyrosie, the felt will give it a bit of weight so it might not be as washable as a tablecloth should be. How are you going to keep the backing to the top? You may have to do some quilting just to keep the back and top together. A flannel backing may be all you really need. But I defer to the others in the board who have dealt with such things much more. Cheers!

pulled my felt and yes it's thicker than I want. I think I'm going to go with just a flannel back. Yes I'm going to quilt it for stability. Thanks for the input.

ibex94 10-17-2022 06:05 AM

Sewbizgirl, welcome home! How are those Iowa grands?

Gannyrosie, Pick a fun backing so you can flip the tablecloth to use both sides :-). I read on the board that if you wash your fabric with salt and soap, colors won't bleed through. I don't know if it works with all water types but I tried it with some red and nonred fabrics recently in the hard water of Texas and the reds didn't bleed! Kona reds from Hobby Lobby was my source. Washed in cold water and popped them in the dryer right after the wash was over. If you pick an interesting flannel with colors that you are afraid might onto your top, try washing the flannel with salt ahead of time. White flannel is likely the safest choice, lol. Show us a picture of that flimsey!

Salt, myth or reality? I don't know. But I will keep experimenting. Have you all ever tried setting the colors that way?

Jennr8r, do you have Microsoft Paint on your computer? Open your picture in a Paint file and resize it by pixel. I stick 400 in the top option and save the file with a different name. The resulting image will attach. Another option is to use the Snip and Sketch app in Microsoft and save the snip with a different name. Those snips are usually around 400 dpi, too. If you have a mac, I can't help you. Good luck!