Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Birthday Swap 2018/2019 New (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/birthday-swap-2018-2019-new-t294216.html)

jaba 08-18-2018 11:04 AM

Pretty quilt Janice, can't wait to see it done. I love the layout you have!

travelinggramma 08-18-2018 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by givio (Post 8111814)
travelinggramma, I hope to see what you are working on with last year's candies! :-) Have a pic?

Here is my story - I have all my squares organized as light, medium and dark. I have been bringing a pile with me each week at our quilting group. I have a stack near me at home and have put together some here also.
Making blocks 6 x6 and 5 x 5. The 6x6 are my middle on point ; and the 5x5 are cut diagonal once for corners.
Welllll - I gather up my piles and trying to figure how I want the coloring before I cut the diagnol, when I realize they are different sizes.
Yip - used three different machines and they made three different seams. UGH!!
Lesson Learned. One machine per project.
How is your day going?

travelinggramma 08-18-2018 01:33 PM

Janice - love that design - my eye went to the zig zag line of darks - great job

aborning 08-18-2018 02:44 PM

I mailed travelinggramma's birthday candies today but they probably won't leave the Post Office until Monday's mail. Be on the lookout and have a great birthday travelinggramma.

hav4boys 08-18-2018 03:16 PM

I am back from vacation. A week in the desert of Nevada taking a firearms class. Glad to be back home.

givio 08-18-2018 05:37 PM

JaniceMc, I agree! Don't stall yourself with more blocks. It looks like it's about 60" anyway? Which is a good size. You can always add a large border to get it bigger.
travelinggramma, After the blocks get sewn together, it will be wonderful! I wouldn't fret about the different seams, but each quilter has their own breaking point for what they accept... :-) It's colorful, thanks for sharing it!

WMUTeach 08-18-2018 06:53 PM

Janice MC, do you have the source for this pattern? Or maybe a name of the pattern? I would like to give this a try after....my next deluge of 2.5 birthday squares. Barn Raising is my favorite layout. This variation has captured me.

Janice McC 08-19-2018 05:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
WMUTeach, thanks for asking. Sure, it’s Quilters Cache “split 9 patch”. If you use Pinterest, you’ll find many other possible configurations for the blocks. You can google it as well. Here are others I considered:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]599758[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]599759[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]599760[/ATTACH]
My husband initially liked the last one until he looked at a while and remarked how his eyes couldn’t stop moving. It’s too chaotic for me, too. Almost went with the first, with the altered center, but eventually symmetry won out. There are many more ways to put these together.

Originally Posted by WMUTeach (Post 8113201)
Janice MC, do you have the source for this pattern? Or maybe a name of the pattern? I would like to give this a try after....my next deluge of 2.5 birthday squares. Barn Raising is my favorite layout. This variation has captured me.

Janice McC 08-19-2018 05:51 AM

TravellingGramma, I agree with Givio. Don’t worry about the seams. You’d get some of that anyway bc not all the candies are the same size despite best efforts and it’s super easy to distort such small pieces. A lot of my seams won’t meet perfectly but I’m ok with that. Some off seams won’t take away from the final product I believe.

Thanks, Givio. Yes, it’s 60 1/2” square, or it should be. Please note I said “should”. We’ll see when it’s done. I don’t know how I’m going to finish it. Right now the plan is to make it into four sections. I’m researching a way to quilt each quadrant separately and the join them with no additional fabric on the front I know there are ways to do it, I’ve just never tried. Might do borders too. Don’t know. Just trying to get to the completed four quads today.

Originally Posted by givio (Post 8113148)
JaniceMc, I agree! Don't stall yourself with more blocks. It looks like it's about 60" anyway? Which is a good size. You can always add a large border to get it bigger.
travelinggramma, After the blocks get sewn together, it will be wonderful! I wouldn't fret about the different seams, but each quilter has their own breaking point for what they accept... :-) It's colorful, thanks for sharing it!

givio 08-19-2018 08:48 AM

JaniceMcC, I'd like to see your progress on that joining. I've got a few quilt tops in that stage-- although they are in three columns, rather than four squares. I certainly understand the concept of sewing the top sections directly together after quilting the center without a sashing or anything, but I'm still thinking about the quilting motif of each section, and how to continue that over the last joining seam line. I don't want tons of thread tails to bury. What were your thoughts on your quilting design?