Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Boomerang Friendship Swap 10.0 Signups now CLOSED :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/boomerang-friendship-swap-10-0-signups-now-closed-t222880.html)

Jupiter 06-18-2013 03:24 PM

Envelope size

I bought some "Social Envelopes" at Walmart. Size 5 3/4" X 8 3/4". This is a standard size for the post office and will go for the standard rate, up to 3.5 ounces. I am sure it will weigh more than that, but it shouldn't be too bad. The thickness of your envelopes have to be under a quarter inch to be considered a letter, not a parcel. I am thinking that this size with only one fold in the fabric will easily be thinner than that.

Social Envelopes comfortably hold and 8 1/2" x 11" paper, folded in half. A fat 8 cut is 9" x 11". I think I can make that work, though I might have to shave off a half inch on the short side.

Jupiter 06-18-2013 03:25 PM

That will make a real pretty block. I like it! hugs, Jup

Originally Posted by jclinganrey (Post 6130173)
Tell me what you think of this border. Had a heck of a time uploading a pic. Anyone else having trouble??? Jane

marytoddliz 06-18-2013 04:27 PM

Nice border. If you are in my group I would love to make that into a block!

For mailing I get the Brawny Wrap at the 99 cent store It is clingy for sure. I iron my F8 after tri folding one way, then tri folding the other way, it measures about 3.5 X 6.5 it will be very flat and it can fit into a regular envelope, but you might need to fold it several times to get it to fit!. Put your return address sticker on the wrap so if the PO mangles it, you get it back! I put a 65 cent stamp on it, Several people have been saved by the wrapping of the fabric! Some use baggies.but they have gone up to 66...

Libster 06-19-2013 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jupiter (Post 6130196)
I bought some "Social Envelopes" at Walmart. Size 5 3/4" X 8 3/4". This is a standard size for the post office and will go for the standard rate, up to 3.5 ounces. I am sure it will weigh more than that, but it shouldn't be too bad. The thickness of your envelopes have to be under a quarter inch to be considered a letter, not a parcel. I am thinking that this size with only one fold in the fabric will easily be thinner than that.

Social Envelopes comfortably hold and 8 1/2" x 11" paper, folded in half. A fat 8 cut is 9" x 11". I think I can make that work, though I might have to shave off a half inch on the short side.

I'm new to this swap, but am I misunderstanding something here regarding size? In the first post of this thread our hostess states: (cut them in to Fat Eighths (18 x 11) or (9x22) We prefer the 18 x 11 ). I have mine cut at 18" x 11". I trifolded mine the 18" way, pressed, then folded in half the 11" way and pressed again before wrapping in saran wrap. They fit nicely into business sized envelopes.
As I said, I'm new to this type of swap- if I'm understanding wrong, someone please correct me before I mail mine. I sure don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

Elisabrat 06-19-2013 03:44 AM

Ok I have a comment to make. shoot me :) to those who know me this in itself is no surprise. I read a post a few back that there is someone sending two pieces that EQUAL one fat eight is that correct? Oh Please Do NOT do that. It is hard enough to come up with enough fabric to do a whole lot of blocks just by virtue of the size we are already working with. if you send pieces then you limit your block and the creativity that goes into it. I am fairly sure we are to send one piece but maybe that has never been addressed. April what say you on this? I think if you do not have enough fabric to send the required size pick a different fabric from your stash. but that is just me thinking again don't mind me :)

joanelizbay 06-19-2013 04:07 AM

Libster, it sounds like you did it exactly right! 18 x 11 is the best size and anyway you can fold it to fit in an envelope is fine! I always try to press mine as flat as possible because the post office likes them that way...seems to mail cheaper! Glad to have you with us!

Linda, before I had to send two people split fabric but I asked them lst and they agreed it was ok...I would only do that in the case of a shortage emergency NOT to everyone! As always, good to hear from you!!

Elisabrat 06-19-2013 04:30 AM

Why thanks Joanelizbay :) I just hope I am not one of the people who gets two cuts. I really do find myself saying oh crud can't do that with this piece or I can't do this other one because of the lack of just enough fabric. I love getting the 11x18 pieces because it seems there are more things you can do with it. And fabric speaks to us all so differently that those good ideas surely should not be way laid by not having enough fabric! Also I do like to showcase the fabric sent 99.9 percent of the time.. it doesn't seem fair to make your own fabric you toss in with it the center star.. again just me. I am apparently one picky old coot. :) Moving here in just a few days. My entire house is packed up and ready to load on the truck today. then the last second cleaning and well.. off to Wyoming to play in Jaba's backyard!

jaba 06-19-2013 05:43 AM

Jupiter check your size again. You should be cutting your fabric 18 X 11. Page 1 tells you the size to cut and has all the rules of this swap. You can send a 9 X 22 piece also but be aware that with this size you are really limiting the other swappers of what block they can make for you.

Jupiter 06-19-2013 10:15 AM

18" X 11" is correct size

OOPS !!! MY BAD.... I got my sizes wrong. So glad you pointed it out to me before I cut them all wrong! 18" X 11" is correct.

hugs, Jup

Originally Posted by Libster (Post 6130708)
I'm new to this swap, but am I misunderstanding something here regarding size? In the first post of this thread our hostess states: (cut them in to Fat Eighths (18 x 11) or (9x22) We prefer the 18 x 11 ). I have mine cut at 18" x 11". I trifolded mine the 18" way, pressed, then folded in half the 11" way and pressed again before wrapping in saran wrap. They fit nicely into business sized envelopes.
As I said, I'm new to this type of swap- if I'm understanding wrong, someone please correct me before I mail mine. I sure don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

frenchfryqueen 06-19-2013 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looked through my stash and didn't have enough of any one fabric. I thought I had enough of a complement to my Boom 9 fabric, but alas, I did not. So I *had* to go buy some new fabric and some coordinating fabrics to finish it out. This is what I chose for this swap. I absolutely adore it!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]419994[/ATTACH]