Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   January Mini Quilt Swap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/january-mini-quilt-swap-t258811.html)

tesspug 01-05-2015 04:37 PM

My grandmother was an excellent cook except for two things. Fudge frosting and seven minute frosting. Her fudge was grainy and her 7 minute was marshmallowy. But I always thought that's how they were suppose to be. My mother made them the same way. Now I want grainy fudge frosting and marshmallowy 7 minute.

JuneBillie 01-05-2015 04:58 PM

Tessbug, that goes to show how we attach things to our memories. That is sweet.

tlambing 01-05-2015 05:43 PM

My mother was a cake decorator by trade. I have so many fond memories of her cakes and the process. Tinting frosting, holding frosting bags for her to fill. I was the only girl in my school that had perfect frosting rose buds on my birthday cupcakes. (Back when you could bring treats from home) She also made the best cookies! Everyone in the family looked forward to her Christmas trays of treats!

tlambing 01-06-2015 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hope you'll indulge me. I wanted to share my first 4 blocks (just finished) of my Baby Jane. New experience :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504966[/ATTACH]

klaws 01-06-2015 11:10 AM

Very nice. Great job! :thumbup:

JuneBillie 01-06-2015 12:30 PM

Teresa those are very nice blocks. I like your story about your mom's baking, and cake making too.

kiffie2413 01-06-2015 12:46 PM

Tesspug,
Ahh, the memories of grainy fudge...lol. And peanut brittle that is a goopy inedible mess. Though said peanut brittle may actually have been my 1st attempt..lol
I only cook fudge and peanut brittle in the microwave. Honestly every time I tried to make either on the stove, even with stirring all the time and using a candy thermometer, they were terrible. I have it down to a science cooking it in the microwave. I figure as long as it tastes good, doesn't matter how I cook it :thumbup:

Tlambing,
Sweet memories of your mom.. in our house it was my dad who actually made beautiful frosting roses. Though any cake he would've made would probably not have been edible..
I love your blocks! I had never heard of the Dear Jane quilt until I joined QB. Even then, I never had looked into it until a couple of months ago. WOW! is what I thought when I did...
Can't wait to see how yours progresses...

JuneBillie,
That quilt in your avatar pic is great! I "un-pinched and zoomed" on my Kindle, could see it pretty well, but would love to see a bigger pic. My eyes are really acting up today. Dry, blurry eyes, cold weather, and I have put it off too long, so I have to venture to town for groceries. Just hoping the ice on the roads has melted.

Regards,
"Kranky Krotchety" Kif

quiltjoey 01-06-2015 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All the stories of the cakes and goodies are making me drool! I remember those 3-4 layer cakes with 7 minute frosting and the coconut cakes! MMMMM, good. We are always watching our weight around here. What a chore!!

Am excited about joining the swap!! Here's a peek!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504983[/ATTACH]

tlambing 01-06-2015 02:33 PM

Wow! Beautiful! Quiltjoey

I know what I'm going to do...now just have to start.

letsquilt 01-06-2015 03:42 PM

tlamblingglambing,those baby Jane blocks are pretty,is that the dear jane blocks?