Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   June 9 Patch Block Swap Signups (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/june-9-patch-block-swap-signups-t296930.html)

sewbizgirl 05-25-2018 02:42 PM

Hope all have a nice weekend and remember those who have given their lives for our freedom. Remember their loved ones and their pain and sacrifice. God bless them and comfort them this Memorial Day.

klaws 05-25-2018 04:19 PM

Sewbiz, I won't be able to sign up this time. I'm presently on my way to Ohio. I get the keys to my apartment on the 29th but the movers won't be delivering my things until June 9th or 10th (maybe). I won't have enough time to send my blocks by the due date. I will look forward to the next one. :thumbup:

givio 05-25-2018 05:24 PM

SBG, Any color, preferably a pastel one, rather than a strong color, because a lot of our scrappy prints are strong colors. :-) White is fine too though. White is well-liked, is predictable, it seems everybody uses it, and has it.

But I do like the idea of florals that was mentioned. Maybe a floral with any solid color, or fabric that reads as solid (like some tone on tones or blenders)? I think using florals where the flowers are the size of a dime or bigger would be more attractive with a solid paired with a tiny calico print.

sewbizgirl 05-25-2018 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by klaws (Post 8064584)
Sewbiz, I won't be able to sign up this time. I'm presently on my way to Ohio. I get the keys to my apartment on the 29th but the movers won't be delivering my things until June 9th or 10th (maybe). I won't have enough time to send my blocks by the due date. I will look forward to the next one. :thumbup:

Good luck, Klaws! Hope it’s a smooth move for you. Come visit with us....

Honchey 05-26-2018 05:12 AM

Hi Everyone,
I only have 9 blocks done so far. I've been working at the Gallery helping out for a co-worker that has a problem walking so I've been cutting, pressing & bagging the squares in combinations..I prefer to sew the candies individually 'cause I'm a fusspot with the piecing. I'll be doing the sewing when I get to NC next week..
I have to get my old cp up & running to post the photos of the blocks done so far..I can't seem to get them uploaded on the current one.
I love all the blocks shown and they all look like they're all perfect.. :) I also like the idea of the 9 patch with white I scrappy pieces.. I've never done an Irish chain top ..For me it would be a fun project and easy!

quilt addict 05-26-2018 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Evie (Post 8064211)
Did Jenny Doan know we are working on 9-patches? See her newest video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7BH...em-uploademail

BTW, love the blocks that have been posted. I'm working on mine, slowly.
:o

Great layout idea for our 9Ps. I am worked on mine last weekend at quilt retreat as my leader and ender. Worked on cleaning up my sewing area after the last BOOM and cutting scraps up ala Bonnie Hunter. That is giving me more squares stacked up to sew together this weekend.

terriamn 05-26-2018 06:08 AM

I love the idea of florals with yellow but then I am a floral nut.

absolutely beautiful morning here. Sitting on the deck enjoying my lilacs with a gentle breeze. One of the beautiful rare Minnesota mornings.

sunrise450 05-26-2018 07:08 AM

Back to sewing 9ers. I noticed that there was something wrong. I thought I had set my machine on a scant quarter inch. HA! I was sewing with a 1/4" seam allowance. Wrong. So I sat myself down and did some frogging. Now I am at it again. Has this happened to any body else?

I would like the next swap scrappy with solid white. That way it seams that everything would fit together with the same background. There are many shades of yellow but white is white period.
Back to sewing, correctly this time. Ha! Ha!

sewbizgirl 05-26-2018 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict (Post 8064785)
Worked on cleaning up my sewing area after the last BOOM and cutting scraps up ala Bonnie Hunter. That is giving me more squares stacked up to sew together this weekend.

That's what I try to do too... keep up with cutting scraps into usable strips or squares that are ready to go. I buy my cat litter by the bucket and have a washed out empty bucket to collect scraps in. When it gets full, I have to cut my scraps before they take over the house, LOL!

Honchey, you stil have plenty of time to sew your 9Ps... :thumbup:

Terri, enjoy your mild weather. We have already lost ours and it's hot here now... in the 90's every day.

Sunrise450, been there and done that! I pick out a lot of little seams from when I get to sewing too fast and forget to follow the edge of my scant 1/4" foot. It's pretty much gotta be a scant quarter, or the block will come out too small.

Remember everyone, that your center block should measure 2" in both directions.

maudeflanagan 05-26-2018 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I will be starting on my nephew's graduation today, but before getting all of the fabric out, I decided to knock out some swap blocks:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594955[/ATTACH]

I really love the apple fabric. Its a really soft organic cotton. I only had enough to make 5 blocks :(