Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   June 9 Patch Block Swap Signups (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/june-9-patch-block-swap-signups-t296930.html)

sewbizgirl 05-26-2018 09:34 AM

Love those, Maude!

givio 05-26-2018 11:48 AM

I liked the 2 1/2" ruler SBG had in the picture where she showed her 2 1/2" squares stored in trays, which was posted in the Birthday candies swap-- so I thought I'd get one to see if it was helpful in taming my basket of odd sized scraps. It came in the mail today! Whoohoo! It's nice to have a new tool!

I had eight 9Patches that I didn't like well enough to include in the last swap. I thought, "I'll just use them in my own quilt." I sewed them into the star blocks I'm using for my setting. Then I sewed them here and there in a few rows. I laid the rows out on my bed this morning, to see what to add to finish the rows. I thought, "I don't like those eight blocks." So... lol... I've just used a few hours to make eight new blocks, and to rip out the eight offending blocks, then replace them. I've been working along on this project, but haven't moved an inch forward. Ugh. :-p

Pretty blocks, Maude. Maybe you could show us what you are working on for your nephew too?

maudeflanagan 05-26-2018 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Of course givio :) I am making a double friendship star using the MSQC tutorial.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594968[/ATTACH]

I increased the strip width to 4.5" to make the blocks bigger than the tutorial. I will be making it bed sized. It's a lot of prep work, but once you have the units assembled, the blocks really come together quickly.

sewbizgirl 05-26-2018 01:05 PM

I like that double star pattern, Maude! Two colors of stars... very pretty.

Givio, how do you like the little 2.5" ruler? You might want to put a small piece of medical tape or something on the bottom of it, to keep it from slipping. Those little ones are bad for that.

maudeflanagan 05-26-2018 01:13 PM

Thanks SGB. I texted my nephew and asked what his favorite color was without context (the quilt is a surprise). He responded he doesn't have a favorite, but he likes dark green, gray, and white. Totally made choosing colors very easy.

givio 05-26-2018 01:25 PM

Maude, I'll have to check out that tutorial! I love a quilt with solid colors for a change from all the prints we usually use. It's looking nice! It's going to give a neat overall effect. Are you going to quilt it yourself?

SBG, Will do. I'm only trying to concentrate on my 9patch stars today. If I start on cutting scraps, I'll lose my focus-- so I'll try the ruler later. I took your advice and put it away in the place it belongs. Hopefully, I'll remember where that is when I want to use it! :-)

maudeflanagan 05-26-2018 01:43 PM

I will be quilting it myself. I have yet to send a quilt out to a long armer. I tend to just straight line everything. Well, more like wave line everything :D. He graduates on June 1st, so I wouldn't even have time to send it out.

Someone on the board posted a finished version of their quilt using the same tutorial, and I knew I had to make one when I saw it. I didn't even notice the secondary star until I stared at it for a second. Then it popped out, and I thought it was so cool.

givio 05-26-2018 01:52 PM

I watched the tutorial. I like your colors better than her examples. Start to finish in a week-- you are ambitious!

D.Henson 05-26-2018 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maude - Your nephew will love his quilt. I think dark green, grey and white look great together.

I made a few 9P today. I found a few 10” squares left over from a layer cake. I can’t remember the name of the cake, but very colorful. Crazy. There may not be enough contrast. I have a few more I can pair with a solid or TOT.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]594992[/ATTACH]

givio 05-26-2018 07:16 PM

Wow, yes, those are bright and busy!

I saw this link on a different thread. It has 9Patches with a constant white in them. Cute pattern.
https://www.anniescatalog.com/detail.html?prod_id=93715