Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   MONTHLY QUILTING BEE BLOCK SWAP - Version II (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/monthly-quilting-bee-block-swap-version-ii-t57580.html)

MadeinMaine 01-29-2012 06:09 AM

Those are beautiful, sustraley!

Oksewnsew 01-29-2012 08:36 AM

Well I don't want to be a smart alec about this, but WHY can't swappers just do what they sign up for and be done with it? IF you don't think you can fulfil your obligations, then don't sign up, or at least communicate with your partner. It's just not fair to the one that doesn't receive their blocks. If nothing else, send them a fat quarter, just compensate then for their effort to do their part! I enjoy this forum, have enjoyed my partners and blocks. I'm not a spring chicken but I figured out the new board, I know others could if they just quit making a mountain out of a molehill!! Sorry, I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but seems there's more complaining than having fun. Forgive me for speaking my peace0. Let's have fun on here, fulfil your part and have a great February. :thumbup:

coconuts 01-29-2012 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie (Post 4919468)
I love the block exchange and seeing everyone's blocks. I wish we could have a shorter thread. If we could restart the thread every year or some other increment. Other BOMs have this and I would like it if the thread was a more manageable size. Also, not to be a boob about it, I wish that the thread would be confined to the assigned blocks exchanged each month and comments on them. Perhaps I'm old and crochety, but having to scroll through conversations people are having with each other about other blocks they make, side swaps (unless it is multiple blocks on their monthly swap), etc. would be confined to PM or they could make another thread for their enthusiastic sharing. It's hard for me to get to know people on the list with all the extra chatter. When I did Farmer's Wife, we had a discussion page and a picture page. There was a thread for every week, which was 2 blocks. I got to know everyone doing the blocks and we became friends.

I don't want to hurt feelings here. I just think enthusiasm just flows over and it takes a lot of posts back and forth beyond just the assigned monthly blocks.

Feel free to comment on my comment. I may be mistaken, but please don't take offense.

I totally agree, this should be about the block exchange and receiving help on blocks.

Crafty3790 01-29-2012 08:40 AM

I haven't been on daily like I always was before because I find less people are on. I have only missed one of my BOM but 2 extra exchanges burned me oh well. I still enjoy it maybe when more are participating I will do extra swaps.

Corry 01-29-2012 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cyndi H (Post 4920181)
Since we changed, I've done 3 months where I've had "conversations" with my partners. I didn't get one from my November partner, just an apology. (Though she DID get a block from me.) I did get one for December, and my January partner says she's mailed it but I haven't gotten it. Of course, January's not over yet. I think I've got enough of the theme I've been working on, so I either have to create a new theme, or quit the swap. I'll let you know.

Cyndi....Well here I am apologizing once again. I did keep in touch with you about my situation and did tell you that I was sending you a block. I did not give you just an apology....I said I was trying to get your block for you. I have my late blocks all packed and ready for the post office for tomorrow. I have had a very bad year last year and may have been late with my blocks but I have sent a block to every partner I ever had. I have never stiffed my partners although I may have been late. Even though the worst seems to be behind me and hopefully my family will have a better year I might ought to quit the swap entirely beginning February. Corry

Corry 01-29-2012 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Oksewnsew (Post 4921689)
Well I don't want to be a smart alec about this, but WHY can't swappers just do what they sign up for and be done with it? IF you don't think you can fulfil your obligations, then don't sign up, or at least communicate with your partner. It's just not fair to the one that doesn't receive their blocks. If nothing else, send them a fat quarter, just compensate then for their effort to do their part! I enjoy this forum, have enjoyed my partners and blocks. I'm not a spring chicken but I figured out the new board, I know others could if they just quit making a mountain out of a molehill!! Sorry, I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but seems there's more complaining than having fun. Forgive me for speaking my peace0. Let's have fun on here, fulfil your part and have a great February. :thumbup:

I can't speak for anyone else but when I signed up I never thought my son in law would throw my daughter and their 2 and 5 yr old out and ask for a divorce right in time for the holidays.....and then my daughter trying to commit suicide. We can't forsee what life throws at us and once things happen it is too late to say well....I quit the swap now. I am trying to fulfill my part and had pm'd my partners. As you say....It "isn't" fair for people to not recieve their blocks...I am missing a few too. I guess after the year I have had I just am more conscious of how life can become a challenge for us all. I am sorry for speaking about my problems I was having but I just thought it was important that we remember there are most likely alot of times it is not intentional that we don't get our blocks on time. I am really sorry if I have made this swap unpleasant. For the most part I have enjoyed the swap and learning to do different blocks and talking with the members of this group. Corry

Oksewnsew 01-29-2012 11:06 AM

Corry, I wasn't directing that msg to you or others that REALLY have had life's problems. I've known from the beginning the problems you've gone thru. I really do hope things go better for you and yours in the coming year. Please don't drop out, unless you just really can't handle it right now.

Corry 01-29-2012 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Oksewnsew (Post 4922230)
Corry, I wasn't directing that msg to you or others that REALLY have had life's problems. I've known from the beginning the problems you've gone thru. I really do hope things go better for you and yours in the coming year. Please don't drop out, unless you just really can't handle it right now.

I appreciate your response as this group and the swap has meant alot to me. It has calmed down alot here at home this month... and I have actually been able to get some sewing done on the blocks. I have a big table in my livingroom that I used to have 2 of my machines set up there but when the kids moved in I just had to remove all my sewing things to the sewing room. 2 yr old Haleigh liked to push all the buttons on my machines and plunder through my stuff. I spent some time getting things organized in my sewing room so I could set up my machine in there again. Not complaining though cause I am lucky my sewing stuff is not all in storage so they could have my sewing room for a bedroom. I offered my office and will put all that in storage...gladly. I used to have a web design business but retired last year so hardly ever use the office any more.
I surely had a bad year and am hoping for a much better one this year. My daughter just started a new job yesterday so hopefully in a month or so she will be able to get her own place and we can get back to normal. Thanks for the kind words and hopefully getting all back to a happy swap.

Corry

cjr 01-29-2012 12:54 PM

Corry, I hope this year is better for you.

cjr 01-29-2012 01:03 PM

Shirley,
I have enjoyed this thread very much and the swapping. Like Corry, sometimes I am late getting out my blocks. Life gets in the way. Some blocks take 2-3 days to do for what ever reason that is a big chunk of time. On the other hand sometimes blocks only take minutes to do. Sometimes the fabric is not right.

I did like seeing what everyone else was doing, theme wise. Also who is participating in this swap.

Swap is for fun and learning new techniques. That takes time.

Like life many times chat gets off swap topic, sometimes difficult to follow. If this goes on for to long, is it possible for you as moderator to send a PM to individuals off track reminding them the world is watching their conversations. Then again we are here to support each other. We all need to step back take a couple of deep breaths and start over with a smile.

cjr