Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Quilting Board's First Scrap Club (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/quilting-boards-first-scrap-club-t207686.html)

QuilterMomma 01-08-2013 04:05 PM

This was posted on the board and I believe, depending on your settings, there are instructions in the thread as well. Just have to dig for them. i think page 23 or so.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t152842.html

I bookmarked it a while back because I loved her use of scraps and they are only planned by light and dark. She uses all kinds of fabrics.

Rhonda 01-08-2013 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by carrot (Post 5769755)
There have so many decussions-- I can't remember if this swap is anything specific or just scraps again ? sorry !

Its' up to you and your partner as to what you swap. it's intended to be scraps but whatever you both agree on - that's fine with me.

Rhonda 01-08-2013 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by sewred (Post 5770714)
I recieve lots of beautiful scraps and pieces from Sandy ! She also added a few goodies too! I am extremely please with this swap! Unfortunately I didn't take a photo when i got them and already added them to my stash! Thanks for putting this swap together!

Thanks for letting me know!

Rhonda 01-08-2013 04:18 PM

2nd scrap swap sign up

OKay anyone wanting to signup for the next scrap swap just let me know.

When we have at least 10 sign up I will assign partners and start the swap.

1. ssnare
2. goldendog55

Rhonda 01-08-2013 04:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have been thinking about the Scrappy Quilt Along. I will be happy to host one. I think it should be on it's own thread.
Would you want a diff quilt block each week or so? what is your idea of a quilt along?

I'll be happy to work out whatever you all want to do with a quilt along.

I can post easy to do quilt blocks each week. keep them easy as in 4 units in 4 rows for a quilt block. My Ohio Star for instance or a 9 patch as in a shoofly.

If you dont' want a sampler quilt then you could use the same block and make as many as you like.

Or we could just use the quilt along thread to follow the progress of each person's choice of quilt.

any other idea?

My color play tutorial has a lot of 4 x 4 grid quilt blocks that can be used to make scrappy.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t168863.html

I've also added some of my quilt blocks I like to use for scrappy

JLMiller 01-08-2013 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda (Post 5772196)
I have been thinking about the Scrappy Quilt Along. I will be happy to host one. I think it should be on it's own thread.
Would you want a diff quilt block each week or so? what is your idea of a quilt along?

I'll be happy to work out whatever you all want to do with a quilt along.

I can post easy to do quilt blocks each week. keep them easy as in 4 units in 4 rows for a quilt block. My Ohio Star for instance or a 9 patch as in a shoofly.

If you dont' want a sampler quilt then you could use the same block and make as many as you like.

Or we could just use the quilt along thread to follow the progress of each person's choice of quilt.

any other idea?

My color play tutorial has a lot of 4 x 4 grid quilt blocks that can be used to make scrappy.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t168863.html

I've also added some of my quilt blocks I like to use for scrappy

Rhonda... I think having a 'scrappy quilt along' would be awesome... I would be very interested in doing this..

jaba 01-08-2013 05:54 PM

Rhonda there is a quilt along on the board now that you choose your own fabric. Some are doing it all co-ordinating and some are doing the scrappy. They post 2 blocks a week and then the third week is kind of a catch-up if you need it. Also the batik swap, just sets of six of the same pattern but you can use different fabric. This one you do send your blocks in to be sorted, but if someone likes batiks they might want to check into it and there is still plenty of time to get some sets done. You might check these out to make sure what you have in mind would be a little different. Just a thought...

Rhonda 01-08-2013 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by jaba (Post 5772390)
Rhonda there is a quilt along on the board now that you choose your own fabric. Some are doing it all co-ordinating and some are doing the scrappy. They post 2 blocks a week and then the third week is kind of a catch-up if you need it. Also the batik swap, just sets of six of the same pattern but you can use different fabric. This one you do send your blocks in to be sorted, but if someone likes batiks they might want to check into it and there is still plenty of time to get some sets done. You might check these out to make sure what you have in mind would be a little different. Just a thought...

thanks Jaba I know someone mentioned the one quilt along. I didn't know about the second one but I have seen them in passing. I was looking in the swap section earlier but didnt' check out any particular thread.

I do intend to make sure this is diff. I like to get input from those interested so we do it in a way people will stay with us as it goes along.

I have done two other quilt alongs presenting my own original designs for quilt blocks. I can do that again using my original quilt blocks and make them all scrappy if anyone is interested in that.

I just need to get a feel for a direction we want to go here.

Rhonda 01-08-2013 06:32 PM

So the different ways to use scraps in a quilt:

1. random blocks in a quilt top
2. random blocks in quilt blocks sewn into a quilt top
3. quilt blocks sewn with a controlled scrappy look into a quilt top
4. rows of random blocks with sashing for a quilt top
5. using random or controlled blocks to create a center with pieced borders using random or controlled scraps
6. Crumbs or my confusion method used to create quilt blocks with a border

Any more methods to add? then we need to decide what type of quilt the quilt along with be
i'm most comfortable with the controlled scrappy quilt block but I invite you to comment

ssnare 01-08-2013 06:34 PM

Quiltermama, my pages only go to 13, could you please post the # of the post for the following: This was posted on the board and I believe, depending on your settings, there are instructions in the thread as well. Just have to dig for them. i think page 23 or so.

'True' scrappy Jacob's Ladder is all done!..well nearly...(Instructions on Page 23)

I bookmarked it a while back because I loved her use of scraps and they are only planned by light and dark. She uses all kinds of fabrics.