Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Secret Santa -Signups Closed!!! Remember To PM Me Mailing Info When Sent/Rec'd (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/secret-santa-signups-closed-remember-pm-me-mailing-info-when-sent-recd-t252598.html)

Knitette 09-04-2014 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009 (Post 6874377)
now that would be a great idea.
middle of winter and sunshine
while we play in the pond
with our drinks in hand on a float.

But I live on the other side of the pond! *pouts*

IrishgalfromNJ 09-04-2014 01:02 PM

I'm going to wait to do my shopping until after I get signed up and have someone to shop for. It's easier for me if I have a roadmap.

dreamer2009 09-04-2014 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette (Post 6874408)
But I live on the other side of the pond! *pouts*

no pouts !!
it's a virtual pond so all can enjoy :)

Knitette 09-04-2014 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009 (Post 6874466)
no pouts !!
it's a virtual pond so all can enjoy :)

K then :p Best get my waders looked out......

dfelker 09-04-2014 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi (Post 6863551)
You'll get your person's name/addy and such. There will also be a list of "wants/likes" along with it. The basic rule is....4 fat quarters and a gift not to exceed $20. Now, does that mean you have to buy one thing for $20? Nope! You can buy numerous things to equal that amount. Most people will shop, shop, shop now since some things could be on sale. I've seen packages that look as if the person spent tons of money, but in fact, since some shop all year for this swap, they get awesome deals and can pack a package with tons for the $20. Can you go over that amount? Sure you can. Some will, some can't...it's all ok. This is to be fun and not a popularity contest as to who can send the best package.
I've been doing this swap for years and there's always a learning curve to it every year. We have a ton of fun while waiting for names and then again waiting for packages. It's all in good fun.
Ask as many questions as you like. If I don't get to answer your question, someone will. You can private message me also if you'd like.

I would LOVE to join you in this!!
It sounds so fun!

sew_busy 09-04-2014 04:37 PM

Please include me as well!! I want to play!! Sounds very fun!!

tlrnhi 09-04-2014 08:25 PM

Anyone can join. I just ask that everyone respect everyone else.
This is to be lots of fun!
I was at Joann's today and noticed that their thread was on sale for 40% off.
That's a pretty good price! It included ALL the thread they sell.
So, you could probably pick up a couple spools from there.
Find some pretty fabric that's on sale. Grab a yard of that.
Then wait for your person to be assigned and see what they like.

Things to start collecting now that everyone needs....
seam rippers.
thread. (I will usually get a couple spools of Gutterman or good thread on sale)
yard of pretty fabric on sale
patterns on sale (this can include the freebies you see hanging on shelves--not all stores carry the same ones)
cute buttons
tweezers---for picking out threads from ripping those dang seams
pins
machine needles
hand sewing needles
small scissors

That's just off the top of my head.

You can go thru the pictures of last years and they can give you some ideas.
If you see something that you would like and it's a good price, get it because you know it's not going to be there if you go back after it.

sewbizgirl 09-04-2014 09:23 PM

Also, how about candy, teas or coffees, card games, and maybe gently used fiction books you think someone else might enjoy? Just some fun stuff besides the quilting gifts.

Bilben 09-05-2014 01:04 AM

Also, one of my favourites, second-hand quilting magazines or quilting books. (hint, hint)

tlrnhi 09-05-2014 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bilben (Post 6875048)
Also, one of my favourites, second-hand quilting magazines or quilting books. (hint, hint)

If someone is wanting to send magazines, make sure they are gently used and all pages are intact. There have been some recipients that have received used magazines that didn't contain all the pages and/or parts of pages were missing, especially the ones that have the insert patterns