Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Secret Santa -Signups Closed!!! Remember To PM Me Mailing Info When Sent/Rec'd (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/secret-santa-signups-closed-remember-pm-me-mailing-info-when-sent-recd-t252598.html)

Jan Rutherford 11-12-2014 09:23 PM

Mailed out my SECRET SANTA PKG. today, It went EAST, with several other swaps. Made a table runner for a friend in Eastern WA. and forgot to address her pkg. so I "ll have to go back to the PO tomorrow..... HOPE everyone is having a good week.

kariboo 11-12-2014 11:45 PM

I'm happy to say, my package arrived today. I've hidden it away till that special day...
hugs & thanks to my secret santa ~

IrishgalfromNJ 11-13-2014 02:37 AM

I received my secret santa package yesterday. Thank you, thank you, thank you to my partner. I know I have to wait until opening day but, boy is it tempting me to open it now. I will be a good girl and wait.

Judylee2 11-13-2014 04:15 AM

Oh SulaBug! you are so good! I wasn't...LOL! I decided that just one more thing had to go into the box and then I cut the pieces the same instead of mirror image...LOL! My left brain LEFT and the right brain just laughed and laughed and laugh........
So today I refuse to get dressed until everything is in the box! Maybe I will go to P.O. In PJ's, they already think that I am that crazy quilt lady.! Hmmmm ,me a lady.....I think not! hehehehehehehe

m-fay 11-13-2014 07:01 AM

I'd like to make these neesie. Can you tell me how much is a stick of butter? what weight would it be? Thanks

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 6966553)
Here's the biscotti recipe. For the ones I made and sent to my SS, I left out the almonds. Since I wasn't sure about allergies and any other digestive problems, figured they'd be safer that way. The flavor is much the same (thanks to the healthy dose of almond extract), with or without.

Almond Biscotti

1-1/2 cups sugar
1 stick salted butter, softened (real butter, not oleo)
3 whole extra large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I use Watkins Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract)
1 teaspoon almond extract (I use McCormick Pure Almond Extract)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder (I use Rumford Aluminum Free Baking Powder)
1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds, chopped (toast in oven or in skillet)
3 cups flour, unbleached all-purpose

For the top
Cinnamon sugar (I use Watkins Pure Ground Cinnamon) When I make cinnamon sugar, I use a lot of cinnamon, so that the mixture is a sort of light golden brown.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
Line a cookie sheet with baker's parchment, for baking
Also, have a small floured surface ready, to form the dough after mixing. I use a small baking pan for this.

Mix first 6 ingredients until smooth and well blended. Add the baking powder, coconut, and almonds. Mix until well blended.
Now mix in the flour, about a quarter at a time. By the time you add the last quarter of it, the dough will be getting somewhat stiff. Just mix it, the best you can. If there's a bit of dry flour left in the bottom of the bowl, don't worry about it.

Dump the dough out onto the floured surface and flip over a few times, until any stickiness is coated with flour. Shape the dough into a sort of long oval, then divide that into two pieces.

Take each piece in turn, to the parchment covered cookie sheet. Shape each piece into a long log, almost the length of the cookie sheet. Try to square off the ends, so that it bakes more evenly. I usually try to keep the logs around 2" wide, as they tend to spread quite a bit, as they bake.

After the logs are shaped, take a wet paper towel and lightly pat the tops and sides until you can see that the dough top is wet. Sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar and be generous with it! The more, the merrier!

Bake for 40 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool (still on cookie sheet) for 30-45 minutes. I turn off my oven, while they cool.

After the logs are cool, turn your oven back on, to 325 degrees (F).

Take each log and very carefully cut into slices. I find it works best to use a sharp serrated knife and slice (several times) in one direction only. If you 'saw' at them, the slices tend to break. Cut the slices around 1/2" to 3/4" thick. As you slice them, return them to the cookie sheet. I just stand the slices back up as if they were still connected, but make sure there's a bit of space between each. Any extra pieces can go between the two reconstructed logs.

I usually keep the end pieces out, for sampling. The ends tend to dry out a lot faster, so don't really need the second baking.

Okay. Now you've got all the little slices standing next to each other, like little soldiers. Make sure there's just a tad of space between each. This is important, so that the insides will dry.

Return the pan to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes. DO NOT OPEN OVEN! After 15 minutes, turn off the oven and leave the biscotti inside, with the door closed. If it's late in the evening, leave them in the oven overnight. Basically, you want to leave them in there, until the oven cools.

If you're in a big hurry and need to use the oven for something else, do the second baking for about 20-25 minutes, then remove the biscotti and spread them out on cooling racks, with a few paper towels beneath the racks. They must be completely cool, before putting into containers.

I use quart sized freezer bags, to store them. Just place a 'row' of however many will fit into the bag. Since they're dry, they keep longer than regular cookies. We've kept them up to a couple of months (during cooler months), with no change in the taste. You can freeze them, if you need to store keep them for longer than that.

Knitette 11-13-2014 07:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498692[/ATTACH]G'day Down Under! Just to let you know my parcel arrived today -thank you :)

sunrise450 11-13-2014 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 6966125)
Note to my Secret Santa-ee - Your gift package contains biscotti, along with the surprises. I've included a list of the ingredients used, just in case you have allergy issues. The biscotti is hard/dry and will keep for several months, if kept in the zip-loc bags. :)

Oh Nessie, I love biscotti! Thank you! By the way it is best when dunked in hot coffee. Yum.

Neesie 11-13-2014 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by m-fay (Post 6967026)
I'd like to make these neesie. Can you tell me how much is a stick of butter? what weight would it be? Thanks

Fay, one stick butter = 4 oz or 1/4 lb. About 113 grams. :)

ArizonaKAT 11-13-2014 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 6966198)
YAY! This has GOT to be for me! I love mug rugs AND socks! :thumbup: :D

Nope, not you. Has to be me. I asked for socks.

Neesie 11-13-2014 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by ArizonaKAT (Post 6967153)
Nope, not you. Has to be me. I asked for socks.

:
:::::::: trying to discretely elbow KAT out of the way ::::::::: Yep, it's MINE! :thumbup: