Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Winter, Winter/Holidays, Holidays Block Swap!! Sign ups til Oct. 29 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/winter-winter-holidays-holidays-block-swap-sign-ups-til-oct-29-a-t199801.html)

kensington 10-10-2012 09:55 AM

rwquilts, you went above and beyond. All of your blocks are just great. Anyone who gets them will be happy!

SewExtremeSeams 10-10-2012 11:12 AM

I agree, Ronda, your blocks are the cutest! And you have inspired all of us.

OK! I am not sure I have 'officially' committed to this swap, so I want to do so. I am not sure how many sets but for SURE I am know I am making gingerbread and snowmen of some style. I will PM you RW.

Sew here is a silly question, maybe. I am new to raw edge applique. I notice RW that you sew yours a little away from the edge of your applique. Since I have never made a quilt with raw edge applique, my question is: is the idea that when it is washed it frays the edges a little? Hope that is not too dumb:D:D

urgodschild2 10-10-2012 01:39 PM

Ok I have been looking at this and have the material to make Hot Chocolate, penguins, angels, pointsettias, cats frolicking in the snow, and ??????? can't remember. But i will see what I can make and then I will sign up.

SewExtremeSeams 10-10-2012 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by urgodschild2 (Post 5576298)
Ok I have been looking at this and have the material to make Hot Chocolate, penguins, angels, pointsettias, cats frolicking in the snow, and ??????? can't remember. But i will see what I can make and then I will sign up.

Yummm... I just saw a hot cup of chocolate on some sight with sugar cookies above it with those sprinkles on it... quilted. Sew cute.

rwquilts 10-10-2012 02:26 PM

Urgodschild2, those sound like fun blocks!

Welcome SewExtremeSeams! Glad to have you join us! I really don't know a great answer to your question...I think if you're really wanting the raggy look, that you might want to clip and leave more of a seam allowance on the outside?

kensington 10-10-2012 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams (Post 5576073)
I agree, Ronda, your blocks are the cutest! And you have inspired all of us.

OK! I am not sure I have 'officially' committed to this swap, so I want to do so. I am not sure how many sets but for SURE I am know I am making gingerbread and snowmen of some style. I will PM you RW.

Sew here is a silly question, maybe. I am new to raw edge applique. I notice RW that you sew yours a little away from the edge of your applique. Since I have never made a quilt with raw edge applique, my question is: is the idea that when it is washed it frays the edges a little? Hope that is not too dumb:D:D

I think so, it will fray a tiny bit after washings. But, should not come unraveled. HTH.

SewExtremeSeams 10-10-2012 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by rwquilts (Post 5576411)
Urgodschild2, those sound like fun blocks!

Welcome SewExtremeSeams! Glad to have you join us! I really don't know a great answer to your question...I think if you're really wanting the raggy look, that you might want to clip and leave more of a seam allowance on the outside?

Thanks Ronda! The problem is I am a perfectionist (only in my sewing~~meaning I am not satisfied and will rip and rip to get there...) so my whole being is pulling towards wanting the edges to be smooth and finished. :D
:D Have to laugh at myself because I know I am defeating the purpose and quickness of raw edge applique. :D

rwquilts 10-10-2012 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams (Post 5576437)
Thanks Ronda! The problem is I am a perfectionist (only in my sewing~~meaning I am not satisfied and will rip and rip to get there...) so my whole being is pulling towards wanting the edges to be smooth and finished. :D
:D Have to laugh at myself because I know I am defeating the purpose and quickness of raw edge applique. :D

You do whatever floats your boat! :) I have done all types of applique, from raw edge, to satin stitch, blanket stitch by hand and machine, to painstaking hand applique.

owlvamp 10-10-2012 07:04 PM

Beautiful blocks everyone.

craft phanatic 10-11-2012 02:13 PM

Oh my goodness, you girls have been busy. I haven't been on for a few days and I sure did miss a lot! The ideas seem to be flowing and they are all great! I love the hot choco idea. Can't wait to see those blocks. I'm almost done with another set and will post a pic soon. Ronda, I'm so glad you do these swaps! Makes me feel like I am part of a sewing group. None of my friends like to sew so I am a lone stitcher! Thanks for being such a great group.