Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 18 of 87 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilting Board's First Scrap Club

Well i just found this thread. I'm in. All I make are scrappy quilts. And I would LOVE to do a scrap swap.

Blog Entries
    All of the quilts, and quilt blocks are so pretty. So many talented people.
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

Susan

Blog Entries
    With DH in the hospital again for his COPD, it's been hard to get much done. But will be working on some pet beds for a local shelter today to distract me from my worry. SO....hope to kill off a lot of scraps (big and small) today.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Happily buried in a heap of fabric in Indiana!

Here's a scrappy quilt I started a long while ago.

I started this top way back at the end of february. I had purhased an old sewing box and the square were in the bottom of it precut and some precut and sewn 4 patch blocks too I got this far and ran out of blocks. Now to decide just to add borders and binding and make a throw or use more fabric and make it bigger? There are no more blocks or any more of this these fabrics left except a couple of blocks I was going to use to put into the backing. What would you all do?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sew, sew, it's the threads that keep love together :>} I love sunbonnet sue,old-fashioned things like 1950's or older housewife things, and like hankies,tea towels and aprons . Thanks to some lovely members on here I now have lots of aprons in my collection !!

Vicki G I'm sorry to hear about your dh's health I hope he get better quickly! Hugs!
    Sew, sew, it's the threads that keep love together :>} I love sunbonnet sue,old-fashioned things like 1950's or older housewife things, and like hankies,tea towels and aprons . Thanks to some lovely members on here I now have lots of aprons in my collection !!

Blog Entries
    Maybe add a scrappy boarder? strips cut half the width of the blocks and sewn on like a piano keyboard. I'd do a solid boarder a couple of inches wide between, to stop the eye and give it some rest before getting into the next boarder. LOL I love working on this kind of stuff, can you tell. Whatever you do it will be GREAT, good luck!
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

How big is it? How big were the original squares? Are they cotton or blends, etc? What age are the fabrics? It looks like it's crib size right now. What do you want to do with it when it's done?
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

Blog Entries
    I have done border similar to what buslady is suggesting and it works great with scrappy quilts! I've included a picture of one of my scrappy quilts to show you about the border.
    Ronda

Blog Entries
    Wow, lovely scrap quilt. That does not even look like a scrap quilt.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewred View Post
    Vicki G I'm sorry to hear about your dh's health I hope he get better quickly! Hugs!
    Thank You.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Blog Entries
    Ronda you and I are on the same wavelength. That is my kind of piecing. Looks wonderful!

cjr
    With as many colors as are in your quilt, I'm with a solid border then any scrappy border or other solid will be fine. When so many colors are used whAT ever you use will look great. Hope your DH gets better. I also have COPD, sometimes the only choice is the hosp[ital. When he is discharged, make sure he gets plenty of rest.
    www.etsy.com/shop/quiltinglycaroline

I will wish him well fast and home and recovering in no time. Quilting is a great mind vacation. I can't think of anything other than quilting while I do it or I mess up. It keeps me from getting depressed or sad at life. I am a recent transplant recipient. I am also on dialysis waiting for a kidney transplant too. I sew and it lifts my spirits and keeps my hands and mind so busy there is no time for anything else. its a good thing.

I love that scrappy quilt ronda its a controlled scrappy isnt it? the center squares while mixed are all similar value in color. there are not reallights ones etc say in the main big block. that is a very pretty quilt. oodles of time in that one. did you keep it or gift it?
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries
    Elisabrat...I used lights and darks (and some mediums) but if you look closely, you will see that it's random...purples, reds, yellows, browns, greens, oranges, and blues...I may not understand true controlled scrappy, but I thought it had to do with color, not value? So, if it has to do with value, then yes, it's controlled scrappy...but if it has to do with colors, then no...it's truly scrappy! Maybe someone will look it up and find out what it really is?
    Ronda

Blog Entries
    In my opinion a controlled scrappy is about color and value. If you used all random then your lights /med/and darks would not be specifically placed to get a design. Value is evident in that you specified you used meds and darks together which is random but the lights are the contrast which is not random.

I do prefer controlled scrappy over a totally random look. tho when we put together strip borders I like to have both a controlled version and a totally random version. I still tend to control the random to a degree tho in that I don't like two purples side by side and I dont' like to use more than 2 of the same color value close together. I rarely do any scrappy that repeats the same fabric either.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxflower View Post
    How big is it? How big were the original squares? Are they cotton or blends, etc? What age are the fabrics? It looks like it's crib size right now. What do you want to do with it when it's done?
    I don't remember what size it is . I will have to get it out and measure again. I'm not sure what types but I believe they are blends. I had posted pictures a while back and think the fabrics are from the 50's to the 70's but not sure. I think it may be crib size. I want to make a throw for our couch as I cover up and fall asleep watching tv sometimes. hee hee!

Well sewred, I have some 4.5" squares from the same era that you may have if you like. They were given to me and I don't have a specific project for them. If they would help you finish your project as you want it I would be happy to send them to you. I threw some away I thought might be blends but some that I kept may be as well. Most are brights, then there are some blue floral prints and a purple print. There is a big stack of coordinating florals. The flowers are the same and there are 3 different background colors, a red, a green, and a blue. Again they are bright and there is enough to make a good size quilt with them. Those I believe are a blend (didn't wrinkle when I washed and dried them) and are vibrant 70s colors. PM me if any of these appeal to you.
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

I wanted to post my orphan blocks that I would like to swap. These were blocks made for swaps and we didn't have enough participate so we got our own blocks back. I have one of the Christmas Geese, 4 of the middle one, it is called the Salt Lake City Block, and 2 of the Leaves and Diamonds block. These are 12 1/2 inch blocks. I would like to see what others have to swap if you could please post them. Thanks, Vinae

Quote Originally Posted by javin22 View Post
    I wanted to post my orphan blocks that I would like to swap. These were blocks made for swaps and we didn't have enough participate so we got our own blocks back. I have one of the Christmas Geese, 4 of the middle one, it is called the Salt Lake City Block, and 2 of the Leaves and Diamonds block. These are 12 1/2 inch blocks. I would like to see what others have to swap if you could please post them. Thanks, Vinae
    PM me. I will swapp with you. I have orphane christmas and fall. Thanks!
    Angel Wings, Butterfly Kisses and Faere Dust for all!!!!

Peggy {Boop56}

Has anyone mentioned using scrapes and making what they call 'dryer sheet' quilts?
    Angel Wings, Butterfly Kisses and Faere Dust for all!!!!

Peggy {Boop56}

May I suggest using something else for foundation then the dryer sheets. They are highly flamable and many people are severely allergic to dryer sheets/fabric softner.
    Anna Quilts

I do not know what "dryer sheet" quilts. I have orphan blocks I would like to trade. Some are spring, some are Christmas and others. I have Christmas blocks: ( 4) 12 1/2", (2) 9 1/2", (1) 6/12". Spring blocks: (13) 12 1/", (4) 9 1/2", (1) 8", (3) 6 1/2". Misc.: (3) 121/2", (2) 9 1/2", (9) 6 1/2", (4) 5", and (3) 4 1/2" blocks I would like to trade. If someone wants to trade, please let me know.

This is a scrappy that I have been working on. It is really easy and it just takes a 1 1/4 inch strip of two colors to make two 6 inch blocks. If anyone is interested, I could give more details. It is great for small left overs. Or if you have 2 1/2 inch jelly roll strips you could cut two in half lengthwise. I just love the contrast and pattern it creates.

Lovely javin22 Could you posted a tute on his thread how to make these blocks?
    Anna Quilts

Yes, I wonder if we can put a video on here. I will figure something out if not. This block is called night and day and it is from an old quick quilts magazine. I will see what I can do in the next few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    Lovely javin22 Could you posted a tute on his thread how to make these blocks?

Page 18 of 87 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 68 ... LastLast