Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Red/White/Blue Swap - Sign up closes May 15, 2010 >

Red/White/Blue Swap - Sign up closes May 15, 2010

Red/White/Blue Swap - Sign up closes May 15, 2010

Old 04-26-2010, 02:43 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by AnneR
Close to Beckley,150 miles southwest of Elkins.My husband was born there and has family there , so we go up there once in a while.
Anne
I miss the forest festival in October. I haven't been back there for a very long time, but my dh goes back at least once a year to see his mom.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:53 PM

WOW!! I have all my blocks cut out...almost!! I ran out of the fabric for one of them 1/2 way through.!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Karen
WOW!! I have all my blocks cut out...almost!! I ran out of the fabric for one of them 1/2 way through.!
I almost ran out of my blue fabric. I was able to make the 12 with a 1/8" strip left.

Claudia Paula
Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 AM

Claudia that was a close call!! I am 4 triangles shy!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Are we supposed to cut them all out first?! I cut and sewed one block at a time! lol Does everyone do all the cutting first?
Old 04-28-2010, 02:06 PM

[quote=BrendaB]
Are we supposed to cut them all out first?! I cut and sewed one block at a time! lol Does everyone do all the cutting first?[/quot

I usually cut all the fabric pieces first and then assembly sew. For some reason I only cut 6 of the r/w/b blocks, completed them and then cut the remaining pieces which was when I found out i just made it!
Claudia Paula
Old 04-28-2010, 03:08 PM

I cut them all, then sewed 1 block at a time. Otherwise to confusing for me (angles and what direction to place them)!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaB
Are we supposed to cut them all out first?! I cut and sewed one block at a time! lol Does everyone do all the cutting first?
Brenda, sometimes I do it by cutting all the pieces, especially when there is so many of one block, (rotary cutting is easiest) . If I am hand piecing, I do it like you did, depending on how many blocks of one pattern I am doing.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaB
Brenda, sometimes I do it by cutting all the pieces, especially when there is so many of one block, (rotary cutting is easiest) . If I am hand piecing, I do it like you did, depending on how many blocks of one pattern I am doing.
I learn something new here nearly every day. Thanks. :-)

I have been looking for a template that is 4.75 square and can't find one, so the lady in the lqs suggested I go to a hardware sore and see if they would cut a template for me. Are you ready???? For just 49 cents I got a custom cut template. I put my own marks where I needed them with permanent marker. I feel a lot better about cutting my blocks now. I had made one out of that real thin plastic, after fighting with my bigger templates. I get confused too easily if the template isn't exactly the size I need, and it was taking forever - checking-rechecking-checking again, etc. I should also mention that this same hardware store (True Value) has fabric for $4.99 a yard and less. I check pretty regularly and get some really nice fabrics for not so much money. They don't have the selection that the lqs does, but they have a really good selection. I just love that place! :-)
Old 04-29-2010, 05:57 AM

That's a great idea! Our hardware store doesn't sell fabric. :roll: I wonder why? ? ?