Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Round Robin #10 Humming birds >

Round Robin #10 Humming birds

Round Robin #10 Humming birds

Old 07-16-2013, 02:32 PM

Hi Mama H,

This is my 1st time doing a Round Robin. I do have a couple of questions. First I see in the instructions, a mention of a label and/or journal. So do we send a fairly large label, or can we send five separate labels or what do most people do?
Also, what type of journal exactly? I love the idea, but would sure appreciate a little more description. Thanks!

I see you are sending 3 yards of fabric along with your center. Are we all supposed to send fabric? I just thought of something that I already have completed that I actually could use for my medallion. If so, I might also like to send some of the background fabric with it. I'll have to look for it...actually, I'll have to look for both. : ) I think I have a plan! I just signed up last night at the last minute, so I haven't even had time to think of the center medallion yet. Hmmm...I'm feeling less nervous now.

One last thing, I don't think I want pictures of the progress for me. At least not right now. I like surprises! If I can't stand it though, I might change my mind as we get into it. Lol!

That's all for now. I'm really looking forward to this RR. I love meeting new friends, it sounds like a lot of fun and I'm sure the end result will be fabulous!

Hugs,
Shelley : )
Old 07-16-2013, 05:10 PM

No, you don't have to send a journal or labels or fabric. You CAN if you want, but really this is a "as you prefer" thing... they are suggestions and if it suits you, then do it! If not, no one is going to get upset. I am sending fabric because I used it in my center and it's unique - I'm hoping everyone can incorporate it into their borders.

I haven't figured out what I'm going to do, label-wise. I'm debating internally about making a set of blocks and asking each person to sign one; but you could go as simple or as intricate as you want. The biggest thing I can stress to you is to send a note with what you are hoping to see, what you are hoping NOT to see, if you would like certain colors, if you wouldn't like certain colors, etc.

I know that Brat and Jaba have a bit of experience doing these (the definition of "bit" is left to individual interpretation) and that Teri and Amy are both first-timers for the round-robin.

Don't stress, take your time, and enjoy this. I suppose I can't speak for everyone but I judge our group to be pretty laid back and willing to help.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:13 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]424290[/ATTACH]
This is my center
Attached Thumbnails perfect-10s.jpg  
Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 PM

Wow! Nice center, Mama! What size is it?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:58 PM

It's 24.5". The pattern is called "All Hallows" and I found it on Pinterest.

The dark print is the one I am going to send out to everyone. It was a special-order fabric that was made for the Central Kansas Shop Hop in 2009. Teri (TeriandDylan) and I did the entire shop hop - it was my first (I think it was her first, too).

I'm hoping that everyone can find a way to incorporate it into the borders along with blenders or solids or whatever to go along with the colors in the print.

BTW... you can call me Kelly
Old 07-16-2013, 07:32 PM

You'll do just fine sisastitcher, I didn't mean to pressure you at all. I just have it done, well actually 2 done , and if I can mail I'll just say this or this, put it in the mail and that's what it is. I won't include a label but I will a little notepad so if you want to write something in it you can. Even 2nd round made by_____ would be fine. or why you thought your border fit the center. or you had one h___ of a time deciding what to do...............It's all fun. Just kind of a memory attached to the quilt as everyone was sewing their "turn". What I will do is include a note with a suggestion on what I think at the time, sometimes someone else's choices are better than your own you know? My fabric has yellow in it believe it or not and that certainly is not my color choice but I liked this fabric for some reason. When the quilt is done, I will put all of your names on a label, either by my machine or by hand and put it on it so I remember years from now. Just think it would be easier for me to make 1 label and sew it on.
I'll give you a day or two, well actually giving me a day or two to decide on which and will mail. Maybe I'll just post a pic and let all of you decide, maybe not I should send the one with the yellow and let you all sew it for me. Just not a whole lot of yellow please...will write note. And if any of you would like the floral print for your border, let me know and I will send it to you to use. Hope this rambling is making some kind of sense to all of you, helped and abetted Miss Brat today folding her fabric and putting it on shelves so she actually knows and can see what she has. She had a couple of orangy-pink colored ones that think she could use with my center, we'll see. Gees she'll probably save them. Hope all of us have a great time on this swap, I'm looking forward to it. How am I doing Kelly? trying to keep up the le'brat
Old 07-16-2013, 07:55 PM

no label for me but i will send a small notepad for everyone to send notes on to each other and for me to read when it gets back here. I sure we will move at a pace that works for all of us in the end. Jan will just have to keep busy with her other 1000 projects that she will complete in the time I complete my 10

ps I have no more experience than Jan or Kelly in Round Robins. This is my second. The first is only one round ahead of this.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 PM

this is my first rr. kelly (mamahauser) has been trying to talk me into doing one for years. i tried out 4 different blocks last night and didn't like any of them when i was done. (wrong size/too plain/too hard to match) so i'll be back at it again on my next night off (sat) to see what i can come up with. i'm planning on making a smaller block (12") rather than a bigger one. I love bright colors and randomness in my quilting so that should give you a bit of an idea of what I might do. i would love to see pics as we go.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:45 PM

I am going to have to work on mine this weekend. I know Jaba (Jan) would love to have something to play with. I think I found a block I really like as a center piece. That or the rooster piece I have that I will just frame up and you all can me me a country quilt roosters, chicks, barns, daisies fun things like that or I can go.. the choices the choices. I love this round robin stuff. I think you will love it too terian..
Old 07-18-2013, 06:09 AM

I talked to Amy on Tuesday evening and they have a full schedule this week so she wasn't sure if she'd get on here before the weekend. She knows what's going on but doesn't have a spare hour to get on here and get sucked in to reading the threads for a few more days.

I've got 1 final paper to write today and then.... tomorrow at 12:15 pm MST, I will be officially FINISHED with my Bachelors of Science in Math. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still have to student teach for the Bachelors of Science in Secondary Ed... but when we moved here 2 years ago, they told me there was no way to pull the math degree out because of the # of credits I transferred from Kansas. I managed to cram in another 45 math credits since Spring '11 and now it's done. I'm so overly-qualified to teach algebra it isn't even funny.

I told Doogie that we're going out to dinner tomorrow to celebrate; he asked, "where?" and I said, "McDonald's cause I'm a broke college student!" hahaha. Probably we'll do On The Border because I want enchiladas.