Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending >

Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending

Row Robin 2011 Swap Groups Pending

Old 10-27-2010, 03:06 PM

I am still a little confused as to how the fabric works. I noticed in the quilt shown, that the fabric isn't all the same in each row. Do we furnish the fabric for all rows, or do we get the 1st row and what that person wants for her theme and we put it on the type fabric we think best.
I noticed the question has been asked about the sashing between rows. Do each of us do that, per the person we are sewing for each time, or how does that work?
Mariah.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:12 PM

If I understand it right from looking at all the other row robins on this board we let everyone else pick fabric they think will go with our first row.

Since I'm not organizing this I don't know how the sashing Will work but once we're in our groups I plan on asking everyone if they would use the sashing strips that I plan on adding in with my first row. I think It would be up to each participant though. Maybe that's something that will get worked out later.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:44 PM

I am sure things will be much clearer for us as we get closer to the time for our exchanges to start.
M.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mariah
I am sure things will be much clearer for us as we get closer to the time for our exchanges to start.
M.
You are probably so right....we're just all SO excited!! LOL :D
Old 10-27-2010, 09:08 PM

Answers:

You will get a top that just needs borders (if you want to add them) back at the end. All will be sewn.

Do we furnish the fabric for all rows, or do we get the 1st row and what that person wants for her theme and we put it on the type fabric we think best.

- You make the first row and decide what you want for a theme. Then the next person picks what they think best matches it.

I noticed the question has been asked about the sashing between rows. Do each of us do that, per the person we are sewing for each time, or how does that work?

*blush* You had to pick the one thing I didn't think of :P. Let me think of an answer... anyone have an opinion on that?

Sorry classes keep me busy sometimes. I'm watching the thread I swear :)
Old 10-27-2010, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by bookworm
Answers:

*blush* You had to pick the one thing I didn't think of :P. Let me think of an answer... anyone have an opinion on that?
I would think that if we want sashing (since sashing is usually all the same fabric) that we should send it with our row. For example, when I send out my starter row, I would send my row of blocks with sashing already attached above and below the row. I would also send an already cut strip of fabric long enough to put the remaining sashings on. This would probably mean that I would have to connect several strips of fabric to make the strip long enough for above and below each row. I know that I will probably want sashing simply because of my theme. I want to make it easier for people to let their creative juices really flow and so a sashing will keep them from feeling the need to "match" the block below. OK....so there is my opinion and thoughts :D Whatever you decide is fine with me....I'm just SO EXCITED!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 04:33 AM

So when is the deadline for the first row to be done, ready to send to our first name; Dec.20 when the persons are assigned, or 2 months later-Feb.20?
Mariah
Old 10-28-2010, 07:44 AM

Feb 20 is the deadline for the first row to be done.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by bookworm
Answers:

You will get a top that just needs borders (if you want to add them) back at the end. All will be sewn.

Do we furnish the fabric for all rows, or do we get the 1st row and what that person wants for her theme and we put it on the type fabric we think best.

- You make the first row and decide what you want for a theme. Then the next person picks what they think best matches it.

Sorry classes keep me busy sometimes. I'm watching the thread I swear :)
Please let me jump in again. Not only did my sisters and I make a Row Robin, I also coordinated many groups of RRs for my Guild, so I've got a pretty good feel for them.

In the current RR, some of the participants sent cut fabric for sashing and some did not. It was a personal preference. Remember however, that sashing will make the quilt longer than wider.

Number of rows depends upon number of participants.

Each participant supplies fabric for HER row. Also, suggestions were made by the group leader as to the pattern or block to be used in the various rows. For example, row one was Four Patch Variation; row two was any pattern with triangles; row three was Log Cabin; row four was the quilter's choice, etc. That way you could decide ahead of time what block you were making.

I just finished row 6 of the current RR, which has 12 rows, and the postage was over $5.00.

Remember also that you ALWAYS SEND YOUR COMPLETED ROW TO THE SAME PERSON. That way everyone does a row 1, a row 2, a row 3, etc.

I hope this was helpful. Belles
Old 10-28-2010, 08:14 AM

belles, that's quite informative...

i would be happy to provide pre-cut sashing's in my package along with my 1st row. this way the whole finished top would be 'pulled' together, and would 'flow' as well as separating the rows and people wouldn't have to worry about each next row HAVING to complement the previous row, as long as they followed the theme requirements.
great idea. this i imagine could be a personal choice if you wanted sashing or not. you just have to provide it yourself.

the pre- decided row choices are a good idea.

this is all very exciting!! i can't wait to start!!!
love jacquie xxxxx